3 Ring Burner Stand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking at putting together an extract brew today - usually use the stove top but was going to try out my new 3 ring burner. I don't have a stand for it and I was going to see what people thought of just putting it on bricks so I can use it? I can't imagine everyone has a cool ass stand but it is something I'm planning on putting together when I have the time.

I did this real quick to see if it worked alright and shes a goer. Does anyone see any issues with this other than stability and no wind shield? Those i can manage.

IMG_0441.jpg

Cheers,

Newts

I just put mine on the garage floor, it's gone a little black in that spot but otherwise fine. I keep meaning to get some firebricks to sit it on but never get round to it.

You sure as hell won't need a stack like that :lol: Probably one or two bricks high will be more than enough.

wbosher said:
Probably one or two bricks high will be more than enough.
If cubing it makes it a hell of a lot easier if you do have some height though

discarded wheel rims make a good stand if you have an arvo to tinker, a grinder and a welder. 3 legs only for maximim flexibility.

Keggle stand.JPG

Keggle stand 1.JPG

Cheers guys,

I just did a dummy run on heating time from 16 degrees to boil and it was 40 minutes which seems excessive. I get a similar boil time on my gas stove indoors and the flame wouldn't be half the size. I have the doors open on the shed for vent so the wind was coming through and I think that had a huge effect on the heating time. Was only running the middle ring and the second ring on half due to pot size, it's a tiny 17L.

Yob, I seen those pics before and that's what I'm planning to do. I got a 12 inch rim out back I'm not using. I'm actually contemplating grinding out the gap for the burner now before I do the brew so I have something to help with the wind. The legs will have to wait if I plan to get a brew on today!

Yob said:
If cubing it makes it a hell of a lot easier if you do have some height though
I was thinking along the lines of "shit, that looks really unstable...buggered if I'd want to have 30L of boiling wort sitting of top of that lot..."

Like I said in the other thread, there is the high change of the pavers/tiles cracking or exploding
someone posted some pics of the aftermath of that happening a few years ago

My kettle burner stand is made up of two inverted stacked milk crates, topped with a piece of ply, covered with a sheet of metal from the big green shed.

Been using my 3 ring burner on that for several years, and have never had a problem. The metal sheeting under the burner is sufficient to reflect heat and shield the stand (cough cough ahem, such as it is).

And I have enough height to enable easy draining from the kettle into the fermenter.

When I get around to it, I'm just gonna get a few fire bricks, the type they use for the brick BBQs, fire places etc... For now though, the concrete garage floor seems to be holding up ok...fingers crossed.

When you cut it out, make sure to cut larger than you need, mine was cut to suit a 4 ring burner which fits almost perfect to the hole, (I'm still using a 3 ring) makes the upgrade to 4 ring that much easier when you go a larger kettle. The Centre "offcut" of the rim is dropped to make the platform for the burner and is welded to a hinge, the other side is supported by those 2 bolts. The legs are adjustable in 25mm increments to allow for uneven ground (my area slopes in 2 directions) it's a great stand and well worth the cost of a few welding rods, the rest of it was off the side of the road..

Good luck with the build.. Us gunna love it.. You may need to get a good burn going to burn off the rim coating before you commit a Brew to it

Cheers

My kettle/burner stand is mafe of cheap angle with fibro screwed to the sides. The 3 ring burner sits about 20cm high.

The main thing I noticed that having sides all around made it more efficient. I found that once it was up to a rolling boil i could turn off 1 of the rings and keep it going.

There is a pic somewhere. Search ugly kettle thread and you will find it.

Awesome to see the info rolling in, I put it in a rim today. Heres a pic. Pretty impressed with the fit etc. Provides a decent amount of wind protection and allows protection from the concrete/bricks that sp0rk mentioned. If i need to I'll get some flat sheet and run it around the rim for more enclosure. It is basically a perfect fit so won't be able to upgrade without mod. In saying that I can't see myself needing to upgrade anytime soon considering I'm still doing half boils.

IMG_0445.jpg

I'll prob have a chance to play with the legs next week. Thinking some round steel, 2 different diameters with a screw in the larger one to set the height of each leg. Weld 'em on and all done :) Similar to yobs setup. Didn't get the brew on though :( Had a mate pop over that's leaving town so I'll get into that tomorrow.

Cheers.

I also ended up drilling some holes in round the enclosed side to allow enough air in, if you start gettin a sooty flame, consider adding a few breather holes

wbosher said:
When I get around to it, I'm just gonna get a few fire bricks, the type they use for the brick BBQs, fire places etc... For now though, the concrete garage floor seems to be holding up ok...fingers crossed.
Normal house bricks should suffice, they fire these at over 1000 deg when making them, your little burner aint going to do a thing to them.

I do like the idea of the rim though, mainly to provide a bit of a shroud around the flame. It's a bit windy where I live, so brewing in the garage with the door open can get a bit breezy, and sometimes can interfere with the flame. Might head down to the wreckers when I get a chance. :)

Just one more thing to add, I found that with a keggle the LP regulator that comes standard with the 3 ring didnt cut it, I got one of those red medium (high?) pressure regs from beerbelly I think and have never looked back (can be seen in the bottom photo above)

Makes for a much cleaner flame, little to no soot at all. While you are still on a small pot it's probably makes little difference to you though, but something to keep in mind and to factor in if you upscale the kettle.

:beerdrink:

Hell yes. I was getting by with single batches using the LP reg, but the BB one made everything quicker and better and a far more fierce boil.

Not only that, but defying all reason, my gas consumption dropped dramatically with the MP reg. :blink:

sp0rk said:
Like I said in the other thread, there is the high change of the pavers/tiles cracking or exploding
someone posted some pics of the aftermath of that happening a few years ago

I remember that. Looked very nasty indeed.

I put my 3 ring burner straight on to the concrete garage floor and my 50l pot straight on the burner, It's pretty stable. No bricks, no shield.

When the boil is done, i lift the pot onto the floor (off the burner) to start cooling, and when it is nearly at temperature, i life the pot onto a picnic table ready for transfer into the fermented.

By the time i have cooled, pitched yeast and cleaned up, both the burner and the floor have cooled enough to be put away and walked on.

This is what I came up with. Sits my keggle at perfect working height, and draining to cube sitting on the floor is a breeze, just stick the hose in and open the ball valve. The frame is also light enough that its easy to pick up and move around.

gallery_20727_1033_579008.jpg

Back