3 Probably poor brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hwall95 said:
You can easily do a wheat beer with kits if you want, pretty sure coopers has a kit for it though I've never tried it myself. Otherwise you do an extract brew where you start from a mix of wheat and barley malt extract then add your own bittering and flavour/aroma hops if you feel confident?

Based on what I read, redback is a German cross Australian wheat beer - hefewiezen but bittered and flavoured with Pride of Ringwood hops. You could try the Coopers Wheat beer recipe which I hear is pretty good: http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/wheat-beer/ . You could add hops, change the malt or yeast but depends how confident your feeling. It seems the yeast in the kit is meant to be a wheat yeast, otherwise fermentis WB-06 is great for wheat beer.
I agree wheat beers can be great with kits, and you need a great yeast. 3333 is a favourite of mine, but I recently tried WB-06 with a dunkelweizen. I had it at 18-19°C (measured in the beer) and it was very clovey. I then raised to 23.5 on advice I read somewhere (again, in-beer temps here). The banana started to come through. Unfortunately I left it at that temp too long and both the clove andbbanana have faded!

I will try one tonight, might be ok. WB-06 is naturally clovey, and if you are going to run it warm I think you need to monitor closely and drop the temp back to 15 (orlower) for the last few points to preserve the flavours and aromas.

Might be wrong, I might crack one open and it's bursting with aroma and flavour... But don't thinksso :)

Adr_0 said:
I agree wheat beers can be great with kits, and you need a great yeast. 3333 is a favourite of mine, but I recently tried WB-06 with a dunkelweizen. I had it at 18-19°C (measured in the beer) and it was very clovey. I then raised to 23.5 on advice I read somewhere (again, in-beer temps here). The banana started to come through. Unfortunately I left it at that temp too long and both the clove andbbanana have faded!

I will try one tonight, might be ok. WB-06 is naturally clovey, and if you are going to run it warm I think you need to monitor closely and drop the temp back to 15 (orlower) for the last few points to preserve the flavours and aromas.

Might be wrong, I might crack one open and it's bursting with aroma and flavour... But don't thinksso :)

Its interesting how flavors come and go with temperature and bottle conditioning time. I read somewhere that T-58 imparts a clove and banana taste but left to condition the spiciness comes through,

hwall95 said:
You can easily do a wheat beer with kits if you want, pretty sure coopers has a kit for it though I've never tried it myself. Otherwise you do an extract brew where you start from a mix of wheat and barley malt extract then add your own bittering and flavour/aroma hops if you feel confident?

Based on what I read, redback is a German cross Australian wheat beer - hefewiezen but bittered and flavoured with Pride of Ringwood hops. You could try the Coopers Wheat beer recipe which I hear is pretty good: http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/wheat-beer/ . You could add hops, change the malt or yeast but depends how confident your feeling. It seems the yeast in the kit is meant to be a wheat yeast, otherwise fermentis WB-06 is great for wheat beer.

Edit: This may be helpful: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/25701-thomas-cooper-wheat-beer-tips/
thanks for this, I had a look see on the morgans site too, the have pride of ringwood hops and a wheat beer mix, i'll head down to the shop later, i'm a little concerned with keep the temp low, it's starting to heat up here in wa, summer temps will not be far away

thanks for this, I had a look see on the morgans site too, the have pride of ringwood hops and a wheat beer mix, i'll head down to the shop later, i'm a little concerned with keep the temp low, it's starting to heat up here in wa, summer temps will not be far away
No worries man, let us know how you go. If possible, a spare fridge or one off gum tree hooked up to a Stc-1000 will do wonders!

hwall95 said:
No worries man, let us know how you go. If possible, a spare fridge or one off gum tree hooked up to a Stc-1000 will do wonders!
got a wheat tin, ringwood hops, teabag, 1kg of dex and 500g of wheat malt, i'll use the yeast with the tin for now

Rothy said:
got a wheat tin, ringwood hops, teabag, 1kg of dex and 500g of wheat malt, i'll use the yeast with the tin for now
Just liquid wheat extract (eg Morgans) or a pre-hopped wheat beer kit?

Rothy said:
not 100% but i use to go to u-brew-it with a mate and i liked the steinlager clone they have there, the commercial brand is shite after drinking the clone, but my favourite beer is redback. i have heard you get it in qld, but it's a wa wheat beer, i may be wrong but i thing i'll need to BIAB for that
Coopers Light LME 1.5kg
Coopers Wheat LME 1.5kg
Dextrose 100gms
Pride Of Ringwood 15gms (9.5%AA) @ 60mins (17.1 IBU's)
Saaz 10gms (4.0%AA) @ 5 mins (0.95 IBU's)
Wyeast 3056 (Bavarian Wheat Blend) yeast
Brew to 21 litres
Ferment @ 18-20°C (preferably towards 18°C)
OG = approx. 1.046
FG = approx. 1.013
EBC = 4.8
IBU = 18.0
Bottled ABV = approx. 4.7%

thanks indica, i already put something on, i'll give this a go at some point , i really need a fermenter fridge

So as an update. I tried the 3 brews today, 2 of which I've since bottled. The two I've bottled have a buttery taste, not overpowering but I can sense it. The third I had put in a makeshift swamp cooler during the hot spell and I don't sense any butter taste, it is the only dry hopped one though so that may mask the taste. The third one isn't bottled yet either I'll probably do that over the weekend.

You used us 05 ?

Buttery is diacetyll which sounds not right at that temps for that yeast

Yeah US05.

I was basing my temperatures off those stick on thermometers, I guess they got hotter than the 24 degrees they were showing. :-(

Okay another update.

I just tried the 3rd brew (the one I kept in a swamp cooler) after 4 days in the bottle, I know, I know too soon!

But wow! This was actually my first all grain attempt. Did a Marris Otter and Centennial SMASH. Mashed in a bag in an esky and boiled in two 15L pots on my stove. My efficiency was a terrible 55%, but oh well it'll get better.

It tastes and smells like a Fat Yak!

Interesting thread..only my second post

Noob brewer ...love good German wheat beer
In two attempts using sb06 wheat yeast I have been frankly unimpressed..using kits and wheat malt
Used m20 was more promising if you are looking for the erdinger type bannana flavours

Trying t58 currently and may be my go to for wheat beers..flavours well and attenuated..

Whilst m20 makes the right flavours it doesn't seem in my very limited experience to chew through fermentables like t58 does. I like a homebrew to sup so 5% and above generally is what I am aiming for.

Awesome forum :)

0juz said:
Interesting thread..only my second post
Noob brewer ...love good German wheat beer
In two attempts using sb06 wheat yeast I have been frankly unimpressed..using kits and wheat malt
Used m20 was more promising if you are looking for the erdinger type bannana flavours
Trying t58 currently and may be my go to for wheat beers..flavours well and attenuated..
Whilst m20 makes the right flavours it doesn't seem in my very limited experience to chew through fermentables like t58 does. I like a homebrew to sup so 5% and above generally is what I am aiming for.
Awesome forum :)
Nice, good info. I just tried a WB06 beer and not impressed at all. It is improving with age (3 weeks) but I expected a lot more. Some clove, very subtle pear and strawberry coming through but also a lot of acetaldehyde. I'm thinking I was a little rough with the yeast as I rapidly warnmed it from 18-23.5 and left it there for a while. I should have let it warm naturally and then dropped down to 10-15°C.

For comparison, my last three wheats with 3333 were borderline drinkable after a week (some sulphur depending on temp) and magic anywhere from 2.5 weeks on. Great flavour profile and solid performer, even above 24°C.

I will gue WB06 one last chance but not on a critical beer.

Great news on the MO-Centennial. Sounds like it would be a great beer. Welcome to the fold...

Latest posts

Back