3 Probably poor brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulyman

Reaction score
Put down 3 brews a week and a bit ago when the weather was still nice and stable, room temp was a steady 18. The aim was to build up stock before the hot weather. Then the really hot weather hit. Fermenters rose to 22-24 degrees. Dropped back to 20 now.

Bugger.

In a way if they are terrible it will expedite the purchase of a fermenting fridge. Pretty well convinced the other half, but bad beer will definitely speed up the process! Shame it may take 3 ruined batches though.

So you're saying all three beers were at 18°C for 3-5 days then rose to 22-24? All were ale yeasts?

Yes. Stable for the first 3-5 days. Then rose after that. All used US05.

No probs from that

If the temp was to drop down to 0 for 3 days it would be a good fermentation schedule

Its probably not the end of the world. 24 isnt that high for ale yeasts, US-05 is a good yeast and you aleady has 5 days to finish the primary fermentation.

In fact, it could be a good thing if it acts like a d-rest

So dont sweat it :)

My first brew went to 30C and it was still drinkable (rough as guts though :D)

It's kinda strange, i just bought my kit and watch the cheesy DVD of a couple that never stopped smiling, telling me that 24c was ideal, the little booklet that came with it told me under 20c would stop the fermentation process, but everyone here seems to brew well below 20c, are the instructions in these kits useless?

Rothy said:
It's kinda strange, i just bought my kit and watch the cheesy DVD of a couple that never stopped smiling, telling me that 24c was ideal, the little booklet that came with it told me under 20c would stop the fermentation process, but everyone here seems to brew well below 20c, are the instructions in these kits useless?
Yeah best way to improve your kit beer is to throw their the instructions in the bin, and use fresh malt and hops, good yeast and ferment based on the yeast manufacturers recommendation - generally 16-18 for ale and 8-12 for lager.

I've brewed at 24 before without much trouble the fact that it held below 20 for the first 3-5 days means your beer will be fine.

Well that sounds positive. Thanks for the info guys.

What is a D rest?

TheBigD said:
I've brewed at 24 before without much trouble the fact that it held below 20 for the first 3-5 days means your beer will be fine.
Your beer tasted like green apples, I guarantee it (unless you used a yeast suited to the higher temps)

paulyman said:
Well that sounds positive. Thanks for the info guys.

What is a D rest?
A D-rest is short diacetyl-rest is basically when you raise the temperature slightly to ensure the yeast gets rid of any diacetyl it may have produced during fermentation. It's generally described as a buttery flavour and slick mouthfeel.

Generally don't have worry about it when brewed at 18 but pretty important for brewing lagers at <12

paulyman said:
Yes. Stable for the first 3-5 days. Then rose after that. All used US05.
Then you are laughing. Another week or so and start to bottle them (assuming 3 weeks total in primary). Do a couple of gravity checks and dine gentle fermenter swirls along the way to make sure they are done.

hwall95 said:
Yeah best way to improve your kit beer is to throw their the instructions in the bin, and use fresh malt and hops, good yeast and ferment based on the yeast manufacturers recommendation - generally 16-18 for ale and 8-12 for lager.
really, looks like i may be in for a rough one too, it's just the tin and the dex with the yeast the comes with the morgans aussie lager tin brewed at18-22, for five days, hopefully when i crack them it'll be drinkablei need totake a littlewalk around my brew shop

Rothy said:
really, looks like i may be in for a rough one too, it's just the tin and the dex with the yeast the comes with the morgans aussie lager tin brewed at18-22, for five days, hopefully when i crack them it'll be drinkablei need totake a littlewalk around my brew shop
I don't think it will horrible since your temps not that bads, my first beer was coopers mex, with kilo of sugar during mid-qld summer and I still have like 2 cartons of six we made left.. Only way to drink it is with lime otherwise it's got a strange taste to it. Yours will hopefully turns out alright, like an easy drinking beer that similar taste to big-brands lagers. What type of beer you aiming for, like commercial examples?

If it went to 24 after 5 days, the majority of the fermentation would have already occurred. It may even be beneficial as the higher temp at the end would help the yeast clean up the beer.

hwall95 said:
I don't think it will horrible since your temps not that bads, my first beer was coopers mex, with kilo of sugar during mid-qld summer and I still have like 2 cartons of six we made left.. Only way to drink it is with lime otherwise it's got a strange taste to it. Yours will hopefully turns out alright, like an easy drinking beer that similar taste to big-brands lagers. What type of beer you aiming for, like commercial examples?
not 100% but i use to go to u-brew-it with a mate and i liked the steinlager clone they have there, the commercial brand is shite after drinking the clone, but my favourite beer is redback. i have heard you get it in qld, but it's a wa wheat beer, i may be wrong but i thing i'll need to BIAB for that

You'd be fine, ublewit don't set a very high bar, they ferment fairly warm too and their lagers go in at ale temp (greater actually).

If you want to calibrate your tastebuds get some pilsner urquell or trumers from Dan Murphy's, really good mass produced European lagers that are true to style and you taste the ingredients and good process.

I have just pitched lager yeast into a pils. Pitch was 9°C on Sunday, then 10°C on Monday and it had a nice thick krausen. Held for a few days and I have let it rise to 11°C overnight. Pretty confident the esters and fusels will not be a problem. :)

Cannot operate at these temps with an ale though. But also cannot really operate at 24-28°C either.

You can easily do a wheat beer with kits if you want, pretty sure coopers has a kit for it though I've never tried it myself. Otherwise you do an extract brew where you start from a mix of wheat and barley malt extract then add your own bittering and flavour/aroma hops if you feel confident?

Based on what I read, redback is a German cross Australian wheat beer - hefewiezen but bittered and flavoured with Pride of Ringwood hops. You could try the Coopers Wheat beer recipe which I hear is pretty good: http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/wheat-beer/ . You could add hops, change the malt or yeast but depends how confident your feeling. It seems the yeast in the kit is meant to be a wheat yeast, otherwise fermentis WB-06 is great for wheat beer.

Edit: This may be helpful: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/25701-thomas-cooper-wheat-beer-tips/

Adr_0 said:
I have just pitched lager yeast into a pils. Pitch was 9°C on Sunday, then 10°C on Monday and it had a nice thick Krause. Held for a few days and I have let it rise to 11°C overnight. Pretty confident the esters and fusels will not be a problem. :)
Perfect time for pilsner brewing, will be great by summer time! Wish my mates I brew with weren't using the my fridge otherwise I would have another pilsner/euro lager down atm!

Latest posts

Back