3/8BSP shank, Cooler Coupler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Hi All,

Planning on going and buying some fridge (long) shanks and Lock-in adaptors from Andale, but their shanks are 3/8 BSP instead of the (im guessing) normal 5/8 that most seem to be.
They apparently only have 'Cooler Coupling' fittings to go the end as well.

My questions:
Are there any other 3/8BSP fittings out there?
How does this cooler coupling work, it looks like a compression fitting that uses an olive.
Will this work on standard beer line (8mm-5mm)?

Thanks again
n87

n87 said:
Hi All,

Planning on going and buying some fridge (long) shanks and Lock-in adaptors from Andale, but their shanks are 3/8 BSP instead of the (im guessing) normal 5/8 that most seem to be.
They apparently only have 'Cooler Coupling' fittings to go the end as well.

My questions:
Are there any other 3/8BSP fittings out there?
How does this cooler coupling work, it looks like a compression fitting that uses an olive.
Will this work on standard beer line (8mm-5mm)?

Thanks again
n87
It will work fine on the 5mm ID 8mm OD.
They just screw onto the 3/8 shank & they do use a nut & olive.
Quality components & they'll last you a lifetime.

Thanks.
Just the reassurance i was looking for

n87 said:
Thanks.
Just the reassurance i was looking for
No worries mate.
I had 4 Andale Florytes on my kegerator & by far the best taps I've ever owned.
I'm a little sorry I got rid of them to be honest.

I got some Lancer brumby taps for a great price (~20 each new) with Lock-In adaptors.
hope they will serve me well.

I upgraded to snap-lock shanks earlier in the year. Wish I just bought them from the get-go. Great quality, and makes cleaning your taps much more convenient.

20150714_181804_resized.jpg

The olive insertion tool is a worth while purchase as well for rigging up the couplings (or so I decided after stabbing myself in the hand with a screwdriver a few times).

Do the snap locks have a check valve in them (when you remove the tap pressurized beer doesn't come spewing out?)

Mr B said:
Do the snap locks have a check valve in them (when you remove the tap pressurized beer doesn't come spewing out?)
Just take off the tap. You'll get a little dribble from whats in the collar but that's it.

Yes. There's a spring loaded check valve in the snap lock.

From anyone who has tried both, is there an advantage either way between Lock-in and Snaplock?

Ah well,

went and visited Andale today. what a dangerous place.
the snaplock shank and adapter was 75% of the price of the lock-in shank alone.... so i converted to snaplocks!

Now i have 1 tap on the fridge, and when i get paid again, i will have 2!

kep an eye on the clasifieds for a couple of lock-in tap adapters ;)

Back