3/8" BSP weldless fitting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambo

Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have a Buffalo urn which I use for BIAB, and am looking to upgrade the urn to allow for recirclulation similar to QldKev's setup (http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/68324-qldkevs-new-biab-with-internal-rims/).

One problem I have is the hole for the tap in the urn is too small for a 1/2 inch weldless fitting allowing me attach a ball valve. The forum in the uk has a thread which says it will fit a 3/8 inch threaded pipe.... but I can't find one of these locally.

Anyone know where I can get one? Or of an easy way to drill the hole bigger with my 21mm hole saw?

Otherwise I'll be buying a step drill.

Cheers.

Step drill will be your best bet mate. Those urns are thin steel and a pita with normal drill bits because it buckles so easily. Step bit makes easy work of it as most of the force is radially shaving it. Or you could draw the new hole around and, wait - are you handy with a file??

wide eyed and legless said:
You will have a problem using your hole saw as you won't be able to centre it, what is the actual size of the hole in your urn?
Yeah, I figured that... was hoping there was some trade trick that I wasn't aware of. The hole is about 16-17mm diameter.

practicalfool said:
Step drill will be your best bet mate. Those urns are thin steel and a pita with normal drill bits because it buckles so easily. Step bit makes easy work of it as most of the force is radially shaving it. Or you could draw the new hole around and, wait - are you handy with a file??
haha, yeah... I'd rather spend the money on the step drill than spend all day filing it back... looks like another trip to bunnings.

wide eyed and legless said:
Rambo have you tried Swan plumbing for a 3/8 bsp nipple, unless I am reading it wrong and you want to go to 1/2 inch bsp
No I haven't... I've tried Anzor, and they had everything but only sold the treaded pipe in long lengths... will give Swan a try.... Cheers.

Latest posts

Back