28 Litres In A Coopers Fermenter Too Much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BjornJ

Reaction score
Pitched San Francisco Lager yeast on Sunday in 28 litres of dark mild.
Used my normal Coopers 30 litre fermenter, hoping it would be ok.

It wasn't :)

fermenter_splilling_over.jpg

And that's at 14 degrees, ooops.

I wish there was a 40 litre fermenter so I could do 30 litre batches.

Bjorn

Looks like you could split it into two of the tall skinny jerry-can type containers and it would still fit in the fridge. That would give you a little more head-space for next time.

Good thing you don't like Belgians - a good abbey yeast in that headspace would be crawling out the door :)

Ive done 28 L a number of times but Ive always used a blow off tube. saves the mess.

hehe, no Belgians for me, that's for sure! :lol:

Manticle has suggested that as well, that I should ferment in two willow cubes.
Guess I should try it.. Just seems to difficult to get them really clean afterwards.

I like the fact that I can put the fermenter in the bathtub, fill it with hot water and wash it out with a soft sponge.

thanks
Bjorn

Pitched San Francisco Lager yeast on Sunday in 28 litres of dark mild.
Used my normal Coopers 30 litre fermenter, hoping it would be ok.

It wasn't :)

View attachment 42028

And that's at 14 degrees, ooops.

I wish there was a 40 litre fermenter so I could do 30 litre batches.

Bjorn

Will a 60L fermenter fit in your fridge? I use my 60 for 40L ferments (double keg)

Hey Bjorn,

this is 55 l of "Murrumbidgee Mud" in my 60 l fermenter.

Don't you just love a good Krausen?

mudsm.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete, holy xxx!
That looks like a volcano, hehe.
Looking forward to trying that beer in a month and a bit.

How do you lift a fermenter with 55 litres of beer up onto the bench?
Sounds like a very heavy job..

I keep forgetting to measure if the 60 litre fermenter will fit in my fridge, will try to remember today (again).

I am worried about trying to lift a 60 litre fermenter with 40 litres of beer in it in and out of the fridge though.

Remember I have no Bill handy to help with the lifting :)

Bjorn

I am worried about trying to lift a 60 litre fermenter with 40 litres of beer in it in and out of the fridge though.

Like the old Egyptians! Build a little pedestal (same hight as the fridge bottom :eek:)) and slide the fermenter across, easy!

Pete

Like the old Egyptians! Build a little pedestal (same hight as the fridge bottom :eek:)) and slide the fermenter across, easy!

Pete
removalists

My wife and I manage it :)

I use a removalists trolley to move it around... and then we hoik it up.

I have built a reinforced wooden shelf.

I isn't hard to take out, as I keg direct from the fridge... but that does mean I like to put it as high up as possible.

The real bitch is cleaning it. Doesn't fit in a laundry sink as nice :(

I have done a number of 26 & 27L batches in my Cooper's 30L fermenters. Never 'touched' the inside of the lid, let alone 'blow-overs'. I just ensure to keep the yeast at its' recommended temperature 'low-end' for the first few days. eg. if the range is 9-15C I set it at 10, not 14. When the krausen begins to drop I generally ramp it up a couple degrees.

Am currently using FWK 15L containers as fermenters. ie. 16.5 of HOT water needed to fill mine completely. I've done about a dozen (experimental recipes/techniques) to date with 15L batches and no blow-overs. Really. But always at the yeast's 'low-end' at the start.

I don't believe all styles/yeasts would suit the low-end. eg. Wits/wheats etc

Cheers

Back