2400w Electric Element - Can't Decide / Confused

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry to be a pain as I am possibly asking a questions that has previously been asked.

I am lookin for an electric element for my kettle, craftbrewer are out of stock, so I checked locally with an electrical wholesaler I deal with and they have plenty of elements and now im just confused.

What coating do I need? Does it have to be stainless? I think some of the ones I can get are nickle. Can someone please tell me the benefit of either? As in, Can i only boil water with one element coating and not sticky wort?

Also what fitting do most people get? Screw in i assume?

Hope thats not a stupid question. Just trying to get myself setup and dont know much about them.
I'm chasing a 2400w element. I can get any from the following company. Which do you recommend?

http://www.thermalproducts.com.au/hotwater...erheader.html#3

Any help would be great!

Thanks heaps

KegKing had them in stock last time I was there, so I assume (unless there was a huge back order) that CraftBrewer will have them soon.
IMHO it's worth getting one of the SS elements, however a number of people here and many homebrewers in the UK use non SS elements and are happy with the results.
However the nickle (and other types of elements) do degrade slowly over time (this is increased by the conditions the wort provides) and all the stuff that comes off the element goes into your beer ... so it's your call. ;)

Just an update to add to this..

I just rang them and all there elements are made from "Incoloy Alloy" which apparently is a higher grade/ variation of stainless steel. 802 rating or something like that. Does that make sense to anyone?

Just an update to add to this..

I just rang them and all there elements are made from "Incoloy Alloy" which apparently is a higher grade/ variation of stainless steel. 802 rating or something like that. Does that make sense to anyone?

Yeh, I was told the same thing (that incoloy is a high grade of stainless).

So if thats the case, if i can get one of these elements for about $50, they would be as good, if not better than a stainless steel one? Just get a screw in version and weld a socket to the pot of the same size thread?

Thanks again!

Also try Thermal Electric Elements
http://www.thermalelectric.com.au/
I used to work for this mob, pretty good product
as much as i dislike reccomending them (bitter over getting fired), they're good at what they do, and from what i remember their prices are pretty good

KegKing had them in stock last time I was there, so I assume (unless there was a huge back order) that CraftBrewer will have them soon.
IMHO it's worth getting one of the SS elements, however a number of people here and many homebrewers in the UK use non SS elements and are happy with the results.
However the nickle (and other types of elements) do degrade slowly over time (this is increased by the conditions the wort provides) and all the stuff that comes off the element goes into your beer ... so it's your call. ;)

Yep, the Craftbrewer ones have kegking stamped in them. So if Kegking has them in stock they are only $5 dearer for the same thing.

Send Ross an email, he will let you know when they are due back in stock

QldKev

I'm muscling in on this thread, my long serving Birko has died, I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat box / controller and not the element as the element was still working intermittently and there's no shorts in the system. Gaselec (agents) are going to charge a $60 lodgement fee plus parts so It's probably not worth getting it fixed.

I'm considering getting a portable over the side heater, 2400w - which will also give me a double boost for the Crown Urn as well when I'm using that.

How much do the over the sides cost and any recommendations? Would one of these be maybe more suitable and flexible for the OP as well?

I am looking at getting a fixed one, and down the track an over the side to speed things up.

But on the note of the over the sides, same mob i listed above have them, i can get em locally for $80, heaps cheaper than everywhere else

my long serving Birko has died, I'm pretty sure it's the thermostat box / controller and not the element as the element was still working intermittently and there's no shorts in the system.

I do hope I have this story wrong!

I personally use an over the side element I got from Grimwood. Had considered a drill in element but I like having nothing in the pot with the bag to catch on but that's just personal choice. It's also handy for adjusting mash temps as you can stir it around for a few mins. The only minus is the cost as mine was a tad over $100 and I'm guessing it is not designed to last forever but I guess that's the same with everything we.buy.

Mine recommended 100mm min submerged and maximum of 300mm. Not sure about the heights of the urns but I'm sure they won't be much taller than 450mm.

I do hope I have this story wrong!

Those who know me will realise that I'm not really a belly laugh kind of guy but SWMBO just came running in to see if I was having a heart attack

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back