22kg Cylinders And Trunked/distributed Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmacdonald

Reaction score
Does anyone use 22kg CO2 cylinders? I have an empty one under the house that I came across some time ago. Is there any reason you don't see too many in home brew setups other than size? If I can get it filled an use it, it will have to live on the patio below the deck where the font and chiller are going. Is it possible to run a high pressure line from the cylinder so that I can mount the reg upstairs with the kegs which is much more convenient? Given the size of the cylinder it would obviously be best to have just the one and use it to carbonate kegs as well, has anyone distributed CO2 to more than one location in their house? A lot of pubs/takeaway joints have 22kg cylinders located remotely (outside or in a service area) so it's obviously possible.

picy?

are the 22kg ones the E size? like this (post 27). they are just big and heavy. you want the reg as close to the bottle as possible. thats why the reg screws onto the bottle. no reason you need the reg upstairs. once you set the reg you forget about it. its not like you going to constantly play with it. just run the line upstairs.

I dont think it would be very safe or cost effective to run a very high pressure pipe from the bottle. But you could put the reg on the bottle set at say 300kPa, then use a second in line reg at the kegs to adjust to the pressure you need at that point. The in line reg would come from a hydraulics/airline type place, I think mine cost around $25.

couldnt you just run a long length of normal gas line form the reg to the kegs?

Yep - runing a normal line to gasmanifold upstairs is what I would do.

Back