20l Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the big coil on my stove is an 8" coil - if it is, it's 2350W from looking on the interwebs.

Probably need > 2000W.

OK! Im getting geard up to give this AG stove top thing a crack! today i got my 19L stock pot from Big W and my plastic Bucket!
i was looking at some grinders in a kitchen shop but they were over $100! So can anyone recomend a good place and brand for me to get a grinder for around $40 or less? Also a thermometer, also swiss Voile?

Also..........

i live near brewcraft on north east road. Are there prices for grain and hops ok? or can i get them from some place much cheaper in the north east of adelaide?

Cheers!

OK! Im getting geard up to give this AG stove top thing a crack! today i got my 19L stock pot from Big W and my plastic Bucket!
i was looking at some grinders in a kitchen shop but they were over $100! So can anyone recomend a good place and brand for me to get a grinder for around $40 or less? Also a thermometer, also swiss Voile?

Also..........

i live near brewcraft on north east road. Are there prices for grain and hops ok? or can i get them from some place much cheaper in the north east of adelaide?

Cheers!

see if your LHBS cracks grain or if you buy from a site sponsor, you can ask for it. Works fine.

I now use a pasta pot with insert strainer to sparge. I busted the first 9L plastic bucket.

Aldi have/had coffee grinders for 20 bux, i got a clearance one for 13$ haha.
Find a kitchen place and get a candi thermometer (~$7) or dicksmith and get a digital one (~$15).
Swiss Voile, spotlight

The craftbrewer near me are expensive and don't have a good range. See what else is around.

I agree with acasta, brewcraft are pretty pricey when you compair them to your LHBS.

I am going to try this ...never done it before....never seen ...didn't know it could be done until I saw it on this website.
I just want to see it for myself and smell it etc..

I have got myself 4 kgs of JW traditional ale grain . It has been put through a mill already.
Hope it doesn't matter that is not the same name grain as what you used Nick.
It isn't as finely milled as in the pic , willl that matter?

Got the POR hops and whirlfloc.

At what point in the boil do I put these 2 in and for how long?

My expectations are realistic ( 1st attempt )...Just hoping for a beer that is drinkable to not bad.

The Wife seems unstoked with the step up in weight division.

Cheers
norks.

i think it says he was doing a 90min boil so id say POR was added at 90 or 60mins and whirfloc 15mins. The mill shouldnt matter I think its meant to be a bit finer for biab but I think it doesnt matter if you make it ultra fine as the bag holds it in. you should be fine

getting hold of this swiss violle is turning into a mission.

Lincraft only had the cotton gear.
Tried the local HBS he only sells those cheese cloth hop bags ...doubt that will be big enough.
I got a couple for future things.

what Yeast are you using ?

safale US-05 ok ?

Got a 19 litre pot from Big W this morning ...$19 .00 .

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

getting hold of this swiss violle is turning into a mission.

Lincraft only had the cotton gear.
Tried the local HBS he only sells those cheese cloth hop bags ...doubt that will be big enough.
I got a couple for future things.

what Yeast are you using ?

safale US-05 ok ?

Got a 19 litre pot from Big W this morning ...$19 .00 .

Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Safale is fine. I prefer Nottingham Yeast myself for these type of beers, but that's just personal preference based on the yeast's characteristics.

Be careful whom you ask at Lincraft, they sometimes have idiots that don't know what is what. Anything made from Polyester or nylon that allows grain to stay but wort to get through is fine. Look around and look at what appears practical. I got some from the local lincraft quite fine.

Hope this helps you out.

Goomba

I picked up some Polyester Voile from Spotlight last weekend, which wasn't too hard to find at all...

It was in with all the curtain matierial... or the 'behind' cutain material used to pretty up a 7 year old girls windows...there was cotton, nylon, poly in a range of colours and different patterns. It was $6.99/m, so I went for 2m and only got charged $10.50 (?). 2m x 1.5m is heaps, think i'll have enough for a BIAB bag, hop sock and some left to pretty up my own windows :D

I got Bohemian voile , 100% cotton. Anyone know if this is similar to Swiss voile or a decent substitute. Used it to steep some spec grains and seemed fine but haven't for an ag yet .

Also..........

Cheers!

Mate, I used to go there all the time (brewcraft, modbury) before I kept getting a bunch of bad advice (boil those grains, son!) and started to get sick of the prices... Used one of the site sponsers for a bit for spec grains and such, but now I just head over and see Wayne at Beerbelly (McGowan St, Pooraka)... Lovely bloke, hates a chat ;) and his prices are great. Will crush your grain (as most LHBS's will do) for nix and has most of the gear you're gonna need! Also, if you need any special taps, hop filters, false bottoms etc later on in your beer-travels, I'm sure he'd be able to help out. I'm yet to expand my brewery too far, but when I do, his proximity to my place is definitely going to be the deciding factor. I'm only 10 odd mins away at Greenwith. (must be said, no affiliation etc etc, was starting to sound like an ad, just a happy customer)

Good luck dude

Tyler

edit: As everyone has mentioned, Spotlight and ask for swiss voile (voyell: pronounced??) I picked up a 4 m end of roll for $6, enough for a massive grain bag and 3 or 4 oversized hop bags! Happy hunting

Thanks so much Nick for this guide and the previous BIAB guide. It gave me to info and confidence to give AG a go!

Just put down my first batch tonight! LCBA clone made to 21L

@ AussieJosh Breville coffee grinder at Kmart for 39 bux, regular price. Definitely getting reliable quality. I haven't tried aldi or anything, good scope for getting it cheap there if you shop around for it.

Ive just found this thread also!,

Bugger me, I had NO IDEA that you could make a AG batch so easy, Just spent $$$ on the weekend on bloody tins and fermentables! ill have to have a crack at this, thanks man

Bugger me, I had NO IDEA that you could make a AG batch so easy, Just spent $$$ on the weekend on bloody tins and fermentables! ill have to have a crack at this, thanks man

good on ya mate you won't look back, plenty of people will help you out if you get stuck too :icon_chickcheers:

See if the bloke cracks the grain for you and you can save the money on the kmart coffee grinder.

I personally have never purchased a coffee grinder and with my 2 pot system (I managed to get a 2nd pot at big w on special for $11) and vege strainer/pasta pot sparge, got fantastic efficiencies.

Had this thought yesterday - the biggest jump from unhopped extract plus hops plus grains plus yeast to AG is the number of grains and the flexiblity of what you make jumps incredibly.

Goomba

finally got my bags back from the sewing lady today.

tomorrow here we go!!!!

Thanks for the info Nick....all over the calculater now!

cheers
norks.

If I may respectfully suggest to the forum, that the "grinders" you are referring to are not, in truth, grinders at all.

The small whirly blade items from breville et al are share their mode of action with the standard blender or food processor.

A proper grinder has two surfaces that crush between them. Also called milling.

I'm only pretty new to brewing but have been in the coffee game for a very long time. The advantage of milling over chopping is the consistency of the end product - that is, you can set your grinder or mill to produce a flour (grind) that is any desired grain size.. In a blender you can not.

In an environment where control over grain size is crucial (coffee) a blender will never give results in the same ballpark as a grinder, even a cheap one.

I'm not enough of a mash extraction expert to know how consistency of the milled grain size affects sugar extraction, but I'd hazard a guess that its not as big a deal.

Dont take this post as a criticism, please. I learn so much each day from you guys. But my inner pedant couldnt read "grinder" when I saw pictures of blender.

PS a Sunbeam EM 0450 for $149 will smash thru grains on a coarse setting all day and only stop when you stop feeding it.

Latest posts

Back