Intermediate Stovetop Techniques

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I checked out tulle today at spotlight. o_O In the wedding section. Great racks of the stuff. It was the 'cool wash only' bit that put me off. I presume this is the stuff though? White would be the go? I will be making a false bottom for it, but it did have largish holes. The fine stuff didn't look strong enough.

Are you talking bag material?

if so you want the curtain section.

Swiss Voile White

100% Polyester

PLU: 1200206 - i assume this is some kind of product code, i kept the tag as i bought mine from the scraps bin for $1.20

Are you talking bag material?

if so you want the curtain section.

Swiss Voile White

100% Polyester

PLU: 1200206 - i assume this is some kind of product code, i kept the tag as i bought mine from the scraps bin for $1.20

+1 Polyester Swiss Voile

Mine's "ivory" I think. Dunno now - been through a few of them.

Tempted to get a blue voile bag - to match my splonky splarge bucket. Does the dye run I wonder? Or will I just call it a "Blueberry Ale"?

LOL. Sounds interesting. Swiss Voile. I thought I had it wrong.

Do they have hot pink?

My notes in brew mate are "decoction mash with the medium kitchen pot (7L) for the last 20 mins of a 90 min boil. The whole mash was raised to 78 deg mash out." I didn't stir it too much because the grain was moving in the pot quite freely. About a 50 / 50 mix from what I recall.

The tannin flavour is like a faint tea taste to it, it's not overpowering but it's there. From reading the quotes you put down I think it may have arisen from the slight flurry when sparging and I used hot kettle water to sparge with.

The tannin flavour is like a faint tea taste to it, it's not overpowering but it's there. From reading the quotes you put down I think it may have arisen from the slight flurry when sparging and I used hot kettle water to sparge with.

If it has a faint "tea" taste then it's more likely to be a herbaceous tastes from the hops. Tannin doesn't have a "taste" as such, more of an astringency - like a moth puckering effect.

That flavour you get from red wine, or the bottom of the teapot that's been sitting for an hour. It makes your teeth grindy.

If anything it could be confused with a "sour" or a "bitter". It's a dry bitter.

Scary when the retailers are less knowledgable about the customer, given that knowledge is part of the experience and reason for a LHBS in the first place (and a tax deduction for making your own booze...... sort of).
Goomba

:icon_offtopic: The reason for the Bribie Island LHBS is to supply charcoal filters, essences, turbo yeast and dextrose. On and a few tins and bottle caps as well.

on topic, last night at t'club I sampled a batch of Maxi-BIAB & decocted beer (Helles) against a Braumeister & decocted beer (Bo Pils) and despite the hopping difference I couldn't see five grand anywhere. Both very nice German style sippers.

:icon_offtopic: The reason for the Bribie Island LHBS is to supply charcoal filters, essences, turbo yeast and dextrose. On and a few tins and bottle caps as well.

on topic, last night at t'club I sampled a batch of Maxi-BIAB & decocted beer (Helles) against a Braumeister & decocted beer (Bo Pils) and despite the hopping difference I couldn't see five grand anywhere. Both very nice German style sippers.

Did you ask for the recipe? I'm thinking that after I knock out an AAA/APA or two to fill stocks up, that I've got to get my summer brewing sorted now.

Goomba

You could PM RdeVjun for his Helles recipe which came second in the State last year in the lagers IIRC - if he's willing to divulge :lol:
The other one, the Pils, the brewer said it was Wey Pils (not the Bo one), about 10% Munich and straight Saaz, saaz, saaz. Not sure about the yeast.

You could PM RdeVjun for his Helles recipe which came second in the State last year in the lagers IIRC - if he's willing to divulge :lol:
The other one, the Pils, the brewer said it was Wey Pils (not the Bo one), about 10% Munich and straight Saaz, saaz, saaz. Not sure about the yeast.

I'll promise him not to enter it into a comp. I've been looking for a helles recipe.

It'll be interesting to try the other pils recipe. I've kegged (cracking it open on Sunday) a batch of german-esque lager using Swiss Yeast, 5% caramalt and 95% Baird's Perle Ale Malt, and Smaragd as the hop of choice. I'm interested to see how it goes - absolutely cheap-as recipe to make.

Goomba

I done a couple of triple decoction (and realising full-well that although I may emulate Pilsner Urquell, I will never clone the frecker) lagers with 100% Floor Boh Pils and Saaz and WY2001 (oh the patience!) and it's the best lager I think I can make.

But the same thing done without the decotions or the floor malted stuff, 5% Melanoidin, and S189 @ 12C is a fanny's whisker as good.

Did a Kohatu SMaSH yesterday with 100% Wey Pale Ale and 30 IBUs of Kohatu at 20 mins, and US05. Smelt like key lime pie boiling!

My 3 fermenters are full now: Cascade Amber Ale, Chimay Red and the Kohatu Ale. Kegs are A Boh Pils and a Belgian Wit. Good times.

my 2 cents worth here.
When hanging the bag....
I was getting wort everywhere when I hung the bag...now I do this and it is heaps cleaner...plus easier.
I just lift it up for about a minute to get the first rush of wort out then slip the fridge shelf underneath and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
Then I do a bit of sueezing etc etc.

up to the individual though.
nohang.jpg

G'day Tanga,
The stuff to use is poly or swiss voille.At Spotlight I found it in the curtain section,I think it is used as backing.
It's 1.5 meters wide and I got 2 meters.Made hop bags out of .5 meters and had a 1.5 meter square to use as a bag.Just tie the top and it works well.Done 3 with mine and no problems.Forget what it cost but around $6 per meter I think.
Good luck with it.
Much too late,didn't see there were 3 pages.Have to look closer in future.

G'day Tanga,
The stuff to use is poly or swiss voille.At Spotlight I found it in the curtain section,I think it is used as backing.
It's 1.5 meters wide and I got 2 meters.Made hop bags out of .5 meters and had a 1.5 meter square to use as a bag.Just tie the top and it works well.Done 3 with mine and no problems.Forget what it cost but around $6 per meter I think.
Good luck with it.
Much too late,didn't see there were 3 pages.Have to look closer in future.

yep ...dont bother making a grain bag the weight it too much for the stitching to handle.
The fabric is pretty hard to get a good sew joint ( my home ec teminology is a bit dodgy).
I paid for a seamstress to make me a bag and the stitching is starting to come apart.

Next time On ebig sqaure of fabric and tie in a not ...I think that is what Nck does going by the pics.

I cut my voile into a large circle. It was a bit tedious but I got there in the end. I also singed (burnt) the edge to prevent fraying.

The circle works well as it forms a nice 'tear-drop' sack when the edges are gathered...no seams to break.

I cut my voile into a large circle. It was a bit tedious but I got there in the end. I also singed (burnt) the edge to prevent fraying.

The circle works well as it forms a nice 'tear-drop' sack when the edges are gathered...no seams to break.

Circle as well but elastic sewn around circumference. Bag stays secure.

No secrets as far as I'm concerned- just ask and ye shall receive! :icon_chickcheers:
I think the QABC place getter is in the WAYBIII thread somewhere, maybe around early September. Pretty simple IIRC, 100% BoPils, protein rest, straight away pull around 3-4L of thick decoct, 10 or 15 minute boil of that to then lift saccharification to around 64C, long mash, long boil, 24- odd IBU Hallertau bittering (or any low- %AA noble), 2247PC or your favourite lager yeast at 10-12C. It should attenuate fully so be patient, lager well but do remember to give it a diacetyl rest beforehand, not like some clown who more or less skipped it (was rushed) and got pinged for that at the Nats! :rolleyes:
This year isn't all that different as far as recipes go, reckon 100% BoPils has a very faint background note which is like off dairy (its not just me, judges have noted something odd too), and while it is otherwise a supremely delicious malt, at least 20% ordinary Pils malt seems to either dilute or eliminate that subtle naffness. FWH with low- AA%, if you like some blatant noble hops character then use 0.5 to 1.0g/L flavour, the most recent one I did with some Ellerslie Saphire like that and so far it is just magnificent, but not really to style at the higher rate. It should be a thorough malt submission, even though attenuation is full, it is slightly sweet but not thick or chewy, exercising restraint with the hops is probably hard for IPAers, however it is really worth it in more ways than one.
Agreed, decoction is largely redundant with spec malts that are available, however IMO there's nothing quite like the fresh, crisp 100% base malt version, plus you learn a bit about the malt itself. :icon_cheers:
Equipment is a whole other debate of course, but its most definitely diffrent strokes for diffrent folks! If you've got a BM, Sabco or whatever then that's fine and dandy, there's some very, very neat bits of kit out there, but as we've seen, stovetop and/ or itty bitty stockpots are capable of the top shelf stuff too. :D

Thanks for the info on the voile guys. No sew it is. :super:

Awesome thread.
I've only done 2 BIABS to date (second one still in the fermenter...) but will definately be giving this a go next. I'm anxious to add some extra steps to my brewing and perhaps "cross-over" to 3V at some later stage.
Well done.
Also kudos on the $30 thread, it was immensley helpful.

Ben

...at least 20% ordinary Pils malt seems to either dilute or eliminate that subtle naffness.

I kinda like that Hanka grain note - but I see where you're coming from. Will try this next batch!

Have you tried the Floor Malted stuff?

Latest posts

Back