20l Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awsome work Nick JD!!
brewing her up now. i added 250g Crystal malt and using Amarillo hops with ale dry yeast.
Additions are 20g @ 50 minutes, 15 g at 10 min, and 15g at flameout (im no chilling)
Hopefully all works out
Smells awsome!!

Could i add more than the 27g of POR hops to this recipe? What would effects be? How much would you suggest?

Could i add more than the 27g of POR hops to this recipe? What would effects be? How much would you suggest?

Yes, you could add more. It would get more bitter. I would suggest adding no more - PoR is not something that is often used to create a highly bitter beer.

I would also like to say thanks for the great info on this thread. I gave it go last night, will put in fermenter today. All worked well without any issues. I will update today when I put in fermenter and measure OG.

Just thought I would let you know that I purchased a 19l pot at Big W at Parabanks shopping center in Salisbury SA for $11.97. Plenty of them left if anyone is interested.

Once again thanks for making the leap into grain brewing cheap and user friendly. Excited about learning and experimenting more in the future.

Andy

With help from this thread and Craftbrewer I did my first BIAB.

agmash.jpg

GPcara.jpg

Golden Promise
Caraaroma
Goldings
Craftbrewer UK yeast blend

this is the beer my mates like the most out of all the stuff I have made...go figure?
I make it all the time. ..stick to the recipe for this one ...I don't add any extra sugar though.
too lazy.

less is more.

I made this one again for the first time in ages 2 days ago! Cept it was a 17L batch with 250g of sucrose, which eliminates the sparging fluffabout (I'm a lazy sod). And a tad lower IBUs.

And I added 100g of Barret Burston's caramalt - which is really nice stuff, possibly underrated because it's not German.

S189 instead of 34/70.

Almost completely different really! :eek: But same.

Hey Nick,

I have just picked up a 19L pot and some swiss voil and am keen to give BIAB a go for the first time. I would like to do a BIAB version of Neills Centenarillo Ale as this was my best extract brew and right up my alley in terms of flavour/hops/style etc.

I have downloaded the BIAB designer spreadsheet and am mucking around a bit with it, however in plugging in details into the spread sheet on tab two, I am getting a requirement of 27 odd litres for initial water volume required.

However want to brew as you have done, over gravity and top up with water.

Could you give me some guidance on how to construct my recipes if I was only to use your method described in this thread?

I was thinking of 4kg Base Malt (Golden Promise) along with some Crystal to build up body and colour, but keeping the grain bill simple.
I have my hop schedule as
15g Centennial @ 60min
30g Amarillo @ 15min
30g Amarillo @ 5min
and dry hop of about 15g each.

How would I go about constructing this brew, based on your methods with a 12Lt mash and topping up with water?

Any advice from yourself or others, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like you have it under control. Mash your grain bill in 12L - give it some sparge action - I've found it's almost unpossible to have a boil-over with 14L in the 19L pot.

You'll need to adjust your hop schedule to whatever volume, and gravity your boil is at.

Check out the G&G IBU calculator. When you've got all your sparge back in your pot and it's ramping up to the boil ... get your volume and your gravity ... and plan your hop schedule using their calculator on the fly.

To be honest, I'd just add about 10% to your hops you posted to allow for the slightly higher gravity boil. But I'm no perfectionist.

Don't be overly concerned with volumes at this stage - just know that you're boiling above your target fermenter gravity, so you'll dilute to your desired SG later. With 4kg of grain you should get 20L of 1.045, if you don't hit the bull's eye, don't worry, it'll still taste like Charlize Theron's nipples.

Either way, it'll taste like Charlize Theron's nipples.
Best reply I could have asked for....hahahhaa
Cheers for the advice...im really looking forward to giving this a nudge...have just been reading up a storm over this thread and others so I can at least think I know what I am doing when it comes to BIAB day.
Thanks for the Link and the 10% recommendation!
Salt

Just a quick question. Going to give this a go over the weekend and at the moment dont have my hands on any swisse voil. I do however have a muslin bag left over from previous uses....I assume that this would be fine to use as my bag???

Any reasons why I couldnt use it?

Thanks

Unless it's not clean..should be fine..also long as it's big enough for the grain load

i wouldnt quite call it clean...i've been using it as a hop sock type thingo...but nothing a good dose of bleach cant fix

Also a little unsure of whether it'll hold the whole 4kgs of grain, but thats to be tested...

But by the sounds of it, as long as she'll allow water to pass through without letting the grains out then it basically does the trick...

ok...so I ended up buying the swisse voil bag anyway so previous concerns regarding the muslin one are no longer an issue.

However, I have a quick question regarding a couple of the steps used in the guide which are puzzling me...I'm sure there are good reasons why these steps are like they are, but I'm rather naive and have no idea.

Instead of turning off the heat and insulating the pot during the hour long mash, why couldn't you turn the heat on for a couple of brief periods in order to maintain the optimum temperature?

Also, is there any reason why you shouldn't stir the mash during that hour?

Thanks!

ok...so I ended up buying the swisse voil bag anyway so previous concerns regarding the muslin one are no longer an issue.

However, I have a quick question regarding a couple of the steps used in the guide which are puzzling me...I'm sure there are good reasons why these steps are like they are, but I'm rather naive and have no idea.

Instead of turning off the heat and insulating the pot during the hour long mash, why couldn't you turn the heat on for a couple of brief periods in order to maintain the optimum temperature?

Also, is there any reason why you shouldn't stir the mash during that hour?

Thanks!

I think for your first few attempts, its well worth aiming for desired mash temp, getting it, then leaving it be for 60mins.

If you insulate any dead space you may have between the top of the grain bed and the lid of the pot with some foil (shiny side down) even better if you can get some polystyrene of some sort, then insulate the outside well, blankets, sleeping bags ect you should be fine.

2 Reasons:

Firstly, the whole process of taking the insulation off and stiring (having 75+C at the bottom of the pot will denature the enzymes you're trying to coax into changing your starch into maltose) which you will need to do will remove twice as much heat as you'll replace. Getting the reheat wrong will be more of an issue that not doing it at all.

And secondly, a well insulated pot will lose about 1-3C over an hour. This is well within the mash temperatures needed - so it's simply not necessary to reheat the mash. Start at 66C and finish at 64C - sorted.

Melting your Voile bag ... not priceless. The best way to add temperature to a mash is to add boiling water - but you need to do the maths (or the experiemnts) to work out how much.

Knew there must be a good/scientific reason for it - re: enzymes converting starch to maltose etc, etc...

Makes enough sense. Thanks for the clarification! :icon_cheers:

I'm going to give this a go but I dont have my fermenting fridge ready to do a lager, has someone got a simple ale recipe for this AG method? I'd rather not brew anything to complicated and I have to order all the grain, hops and yeast from interstate so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Gecko

Cant find the link just now, but followed a Clone recipe from the DB. Here's what I've got ready to go for this weekend:

4kg BB Ale Malt
0.5kg JWM Wheat Malt
0.25kg Weyermann Carared
30gm POR pellets (~60min addition aiming for 30 IBU depending on AA%)

Reculturing some coopers yeast (which has been going since Monday night and appears to have worked...Yay!)

Bascially should give me a Coopers Pale Ale clone, ferment at 18-20 degrees...

EDIT: Found it - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1103

Back