20l Stovetop All Grain Aussie Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give my full size bag a good rinse both sides under the tap then stuff it into a big jug full of strong hot nappysan solution, leave overnight and then rinse and hang in the sunshine and breezes B)

Ok a BIG thank you to Nick for posting this easy to read thread with lots of step by step pics! With out this i dont know when i would have pulled my finger out to do a AG!?
I used the same recipe but changed the yeast to a US05 and put 12g of Sazz in towards the end of the boil.

This is a pic with the reading i took after putting the juice from the two pots and the bucket back together, taken at about 55c

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The boil.

There was a lot of gunk in the pot after the boil up, not sure what this is?

Reading taken after topping up to 20L at about 24c No dex or anything else added, anyone know what the aprox alc will be?

Lots of floaties.....is this ok?

Thank you so much again Nick and everyone else for your help!
Cheers!

Josh!

ABV (Alcohol by Volume) = Gravity Drop/8.06 %

So if your OG is 1046, which it looks to be, and your FG is say 1010 then

46-10 = 36
ABV = 4.46 %

To stay within "style" for an Aussie, you could probably up it to around 5% by adding some dex but I'm not exactly sure what the calculations are for that. Say 300g would put you in the ballpark for a VB or XXXX knockoff.

That bready stuff in the pot is hot break, let it settle out.

Thanks for the reply BribieG!

what do you mean by settle out? I have already added the pot in to the fermenter and toped up to 20L It will just rest in the bottom of the fermenter right?
I dont really mind if it does not turn out in the style of a (aussie lager) Im not a huge fan of VB carlt and all that crap anyway, thats why i used some sazz and a ale yeast, was thinking it may turn out more like coopers mild ale...if you guys get that interstate? .....but just a full strength version.

To stay within "style" for an Aussie, you could probably up it to around 5%

Since when was an Aussie Lager 5%? Water it down to 4%... thats ball park full strength Aussie Lager! :D

Fosters is still 4.9% and who can you trust if not Fosters B)

Haysie when you are here in March you'll have to have a session on real XXXX local version not the gold crap. I made Butters drink a bottle last case swap here and even he didn't mind it too much

Josh: yes leave well alone and you should get a good quaffable, sorry I missed the part where you said the ale yeast, which one is it?

Haysie when you are here in March you'll have to have a session on real XXXX local version not the gold crap. I made Butters drink a bottle last case swap here and even he didn't mind it too much

Josh: yes leave well alone and you should get a good quaffable, sorry I missed the part where you said the ale yeast, which one is it?

Somehow I dont like the idea of a session on XXXX, take your word for it though.

Josh, the US05 aint the greatest flocca in the world, so expect a little haysieness. For what your brewing, it will come out clean more like a hydrid common than a lager though

Somehow I dont like the idea of a session on XXXX, take your word for it though

Have had many sessions on the full strength XXXX... Loved every minute of it. Quite easy to drink.

Then I discovered flavour...

Seriously, I dont mind XXXX (its what they'll be serving at the cricket today!), its just that other beers have sooooooo much more flavour. I'm currently fermenting an Aussie at the moment hopped with a 60 min POR addition, nothing else. Tastes the goods out of the FV

Cheers

Tyler

Josh - looks good, how did you cool the wort?

If you left it overnight to cool then the hotbreak is the stuff on the very bottom of the pot. When you pour into your fermenter it'll be clear wort for about 90%, then your coldbreak (looks like thin yoghurt) will go in which is okay, but then stuff that looks more like cottage cheese - hotbreak - will be seen. Stop pouring at that stage.

I've never had the hotbreak do anything but sit on the bottom when transfering to the fermenter - make sure you don't bump, carry, or move the pot - bring your fermenter to your pot, then top up with cold water to your desired gravity.

Get yourself some Amarillo, Citra, Nelson or Galaxy! These are the heavy-hitters of the hop world and will make your ales insane.

Nick
with ten mins of the boil left i put in half of one of them tablets. at the end of the boil i put the pot in to a icy tub right away and left it for about 30 mins bringing the temp down to the mid 20s then i just poured the whole lot in to the fermenter about 13L i think? Then i just toped it up to 20L and put in the US05 at 24c sitting on 22c now.
have i stuffed it by tipping it all in the fermenter?

have i stuffed it by tipping it all in the fermenter?

It'll be fine. But try leaving that hotbreak behind the next time. Hot and cold break are very similar things but most brewers will tell you to leave the HB out. I'm surprised it didn't settle out in that time if you were gentle when pouring.

The beer will taste 1000% better than kit beer regardless.

Thanks Nick
So will it be all lumpy like in my last pic when i put it in my kegs or bottles? or will it sit right at the bottom of the fermemnter?

Thanks Nick
So will it be all lumpy like in my last pic when i put it in my kegs or bottles? or will it sit right at the bottom of the fermemnter?

Na mate that will settle out with your yeast in the bottom of you fermenter, great job mate, welcome to world of AG brewing :super:

my 2 cents.

Been doing this for a few months and have had some great results.
Did the first few by tipping the lot into the fermenter and did the next few without.
Can't really tell the difference to be honest ...I am sure there is though.

Bit of tweaking here and there. Adding dif hops etc..all have been great.

I did a cascade and corriander one last time.
I just chucked a whole bunch of chopped fresh corriander roots and all in the hops bag about 20 from the end.
Came out great.could'nt even taste the corriander :)

Have had many sessions on the full strength XXXX... Loved every minute of it. Quite easy to drink.

Then I discovered flavour...

Seriously, I dont mind XXXX (its what they'll be serving at the cricket today!), its just that other beers have sooooooo much more flavour. I'm currently fermenting an Aussie at the moment hopped with a 60 min POR addition, nothing else. Tastes the goods out of the FV

Cheers

Tyler

I got 1kg of Aus Cluster (XXXX hop) for $27 and have been adding 65g with ten minutes to go in the boil. This gives the same bitterness as XXXX ... but HUGE flavour/aroma. XXXX on steriods.

Nick, it will soon be a year since this thread started. Are you still on the original coffee grinder, or have you gone through a couple during the year? I've recently bought a Marga but thinking that the coffee grinder would be a good piece of kit to zap up small batches of Crystal etc - I expect the unmilled grains keep fresher than pre-milled.

The smell comming out the top of my air lock and filling the wine cellar is amazing and smells so sweet! The krusen is the biggest i have ever had, at least 10cm!
If anyone is looking at this thread thinking about doing a AG this way, i would say GO FOR IT! Its is so easy! Just make sure you read all the instructions a bunch of times, and take you time! Make sure you have plenty of time up your sleev!

Latest posts

Back