2020: Best commercial glass 375ml bottles for homebrew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CasualNerd

Reaction score
I have found a few threads covering this but nothing recent, so please direct me if I've missed something.

I've been using Brooklyn Lager 355ml bottles for homebrew and love them. I put most of them in the recycling when I moved house but I've since discovered they only sell BL in cans now so I can't get any more :(

Previous experience with bottles from the homebrew shop was woeful, they seem to crack pretty easily. I've just capped a couple of 375ml coopers pale bottles and they have sealed fine but they definitely don't look securely capped being a screw top bottle.

What's available in the 350-375 ml range, even if I have to drink my way through a few cartons of something rubbish ? Looking for nice strong, plain bottles with a crown cap edge. Not interested in swing tops etc. Hopefully without embossed branding all over them. I'd kill for a couple of hundred Brooklyn Lager bottles right now.

I think the little creatures bottles are crown seal, and fairly heavy duty.

Little Creatures are the best 330 mL bottles I've found – and the labels come off really easily in a warm Disan/Napisan soak. Feral bottles are okay, but a bit taller and much more expensive. Some of the 345 mL ones are also taller (and good), but I can't remember which beers they came from.

A lot of the 375 mL ones are screw tops. I avoid them.

Other potentials might be something like Gage Roads, but I didn't save any of the bottles for homebrew.

I always liked the James Squire bottles when I still bottled. Nice design and robust. Aldi sometimes sell beer called Flensburger. They have swing top bottles but are smaller than the other 500ml swing tops (330ml I think), and they look cool too.

Where are you located? I have 150 odd stubbies, including a fair few LC bottles that I was waiting to cash in at woolies.

+1 for Asahi bottles and their box. The boxes hold up well over time and other bottles fit well in them since Asahi bottles are taller than most others.

Back