2019 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better in the ground than a pot, though they will escape the pot anyhow. Plants have been around far, far longer than the human race. Better to try and get to understand them, they really are a fascinating subject to study.

I planted my first rhizomes this year. They are in 100l pots and i have let them shoot without cutting back as i read that this can improve the crown stock.
I have some bines where most of the leaves are mutilated as per the picture.
Do you experienced horticulturists know if this is a sign of disease or anything to be worried about?
TIA

Joe
20191218_183948.jpeg

Ive been checking, and finding catipillars regularly, does this happen when the leaves are new shoots and they get nibbled?
Yes happens with a lot of plants, I get the same caterpillar (not the one from the hops) on parsley, cucumber, beans and marrow. Its not such a big deal unless you get a real infestation of them, and they will not go on the flowers just the leaves.(on the hops)

Dipel works for catapillers. You can buy it at your local hardware stores as called Caterpillar Killer. Its also Organic so no chemicals or poison (apart from being toxic to caterpillars) Also I find having a bug zapper outside near the garden will keep the moth population down. I have it on a timer to come on each night around sunset to 1am.

So mine are ticking along well but they are growing at different rates per string. Some have nothing. Some have burs, some have proper cones. Am I going to have to pick at seperate times?

Also have a few lower leaves getting munched, and a few look to be really struggling in BRISBANE heat and browning or dieing. Though the fact I have cones already is promising that I’m doing something right at least

prolly the first year i have had cones developing b4 xmas., west gippsalnd here.

Cheers for the tips! Yeah I really do need to make some WA mates who have hops.. might just have to wait until next year

Check the Kracanup hops facebook page. They should have some in pots.

So mine are ticking along well but they are growing at different rates per string. Some have nothing. Some have burs, some have proper cones. Am I going to have to pick at seperate times?

Also have a few lower leaves getting munched, and a few look to be really struggling in BRISBANE heat and browning or dieing. Though the fact I have cones already is promising that I’m doing something right at least
Where do you get plants in Brisbane? Seems hard to find
Can't help you much with the growing rates.

The beauty of home growing is that you can harvest when cones are ready, and not harvest all at once and take an average of most ready and some not ready as they do commercially. Of course they do train so growth is at a similar rate across varieties.

Lower leaves will be the first to get attacked, and the plant will start sacrificing the lower leaves for cone development so you may see some yellowing which is normal.

Where do you get plants in Brisbane? Seems hard to find
Can't help you much with the growing rates.
Ordered them online. Think one lot come from sa, the other maybe melb way? Can’t remember. Most people post them very carefully

Cool. Probs not the time of the year to be looking I guess.
Good luck with em

Which varieties were you looking for?

All? Any? I’d like to have a ready supply of bittering hops as they seem to be the most regularly used varieties - so any of the Cs I guess

I see in your bio that you may be in the fire zones. Hope it’s all ok for you mate

All? Any? I’d like to have a ready supply of bittering hops as they seem to be the most regularly used varieties - so any of the Cs I guess

I see in your bio that you may be in the fire zones. Hope it’s all ok for you mate
Thanks for that SK I'm near Moruya, it's more like a war zone, black hawks ferrying out the burned, and the navy evacuating people stranded on beaches, just got power and comm's back after 4 days (we're the lucky ones) not sure how long we'll have it though as we are pretty much the last unburnt spot and we have fires N,W and South, East is the ocean @900mtr's away and a last refuge when the fire hits, it's due sometime around Saturday depending on wind but anything other than an Easterly and we're toast, about 150 homes all on 5 or 10 acres surrounded by forest/bush, wife and dogs evacuated this morning, first chance we had because of the road closures, and no fuel (you'd think servo's would have gennies but apparently not so, and no power = no fuel, the whole town has been out but at least it's still there, we've lost 3 townships within 30k all on the Princes hwy) I'll defend if we get spot fires and the RFS don't need me but at the first sign of a major fire front I'm off to the beach with my esky.
I have a few varieties of hops, I can't supply rhizomes but was thinking I could layer some and when rooted could send the plants to you, you wont get much (if anything) this year but would be set for next season, that's if there's anything here, but I'm trying to stay positive. Williamette, Cascade, Hallertau, Challenger, Tettnang, Vic Secret, Super alpha, EKG, Red Earth, Chinook, and POR. There's a few people that reckon Vic Secret is all you need for aroma and flavour, and a high alpha for bittering, personal choice of course and depends what you plan on brewing. Anyway let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do. Cheers G

Hang in there brother! The safety of you and yours is paramount .
In Wollongong we are sitting on a powder keg. Narrow coastal strip, years of fuel build up just waiting for that fatal spark. Only a matter of time we fear.

Anyway let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do. Cheers G

Mate you just gotta get through the weekend. Yeah I hear Sat is gonna be rugged. Stay safe and I look forward to hearing next week that all is ok for you.

Steve

Hang in there brother! The safety of you and yours is paramount .
In Wollongong we are sitting on a powder keg. Narrow coastal strip, years of fuel build up just waiting for that fatal spark. Only a matter of time we fear.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you, it's not a case of if, it's a case of when. Eerily quiet here at the moment, almost as if everything is holding its breath (or pissed off somewhere else lol) Thanks for the best wishes guys, it is what it is, and what will be, will be, or as a legend once said "such is life" Not so concerned about the house but I'll be gutted if the brewery goes. Cheers Grahame

Back