2018 NSW State Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers, yeah i have the cleaning cap setup already and plently of un-used plastic bottles. could be a goer. so you find you maintain proper carb levels after taking off the cleaner cap and attaching normal plastic bottle cap?

My first comp they said it was slightly flat so second comp I did the following and didn't get the same complaint:

1. Using the carb cap I fill really slowly (1 min per 500ml bottle) there is almost no foam apart from the first 5-10ml into the bottle.
2. When the bottle is full I swap the cap to gas and shake for 30 seconds to add extra carbonation to the bottle.
3. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes in the freezer to calm down.
4. Remove the carb cap, squeeze bottle to remove oxygen from top of bottle (displaced when removing the carb cap + dip tube from bottle) and cap with plastic cap.
5. I then shake again to puff the bottle back out (extra C02 added in step 2 was so I could do this).

My first comp they said it was slightly flat so second comp I did the following and didn't get the same complaint:

1. Using the carb cap I fill really slowly (1 min per 500ml bottle) there is almost no foam apart from the first 5-10ml into the bottle.
2. When the bottle is full I swap the cap to gas and shake for 30 seconds to add extra carbonation to the bottle.
3. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes in the freezer to calm down.
4. Remove the carb cap, squeeze bottle to remove oxygen from top of bottle (displaced when removing the carb cap + dip tube from bottle) and cap with plastic cap.
5. I then shake again to puff the bottle back out (extra C02 added in step 2 was so I could do this).

good thinking, righto. see if my next beer in the ferm is up to comp-ish standards when it goes in the keg in a few days i guess.... its the only one ready the other kegs are about to blow :(

there are 12 entry drop-off locations, see website for details.

There seems to be only 9 locations listed on the site, am I missing something? I'm on the coast, is there one local to the venue?

ive never entered a comp, would i be better off entering a smaller local one first? or just give it a go?

any tips for first comp(ers)

also i only keg usually....what do the seasoned comp guys do for your comp bottles....fill a couple of bottles when kegging and keep them aside for comp/natural carb? or fill from keg using counter pressure cap/filler ect? what do you find more effective....
I have flow control taps so i just pre chill glass bottles slow the flow down and fill directly from the tap than cap using a bench caper never had any negative feed back re carbonation or oxidised beer. Entered 5 comps with 1 7th, 1 third, 2 seconds and a first. i also bottle like this to take beers out and the left over beers have sat in bottles for 2 months and had no issues when drunk.

There seems to be only 9 locations listed on the site, am I missing something? I'm on the coast, is there one local to the venue?
The Brew Shop has 4 locations.
We are looking for a central coast drop off location at the moment

Hi All

We now have 2 drop locations on the central coast (these details will be added to the website asap)

Country Brewer Toukley
248A Main Road Toukley 2263

The Ultimate Home Brew
Suite 8 31 Dwyer Street
North Gosford 2250

Hopefully this helps some of the coast brewers out.

Cheers
Adam

Would a NEIPA, go in the American style IPA, or Speciality IPA category?

I'm hoping to have one ready in time, along with a American Pale Ale.

Thanks
Darryl

FG, I’ll volunteer Marcus and i’s judging prowess if you can pick us up in the old hippie van on the way thru.

Apparently I am know what I am doing in this endeavour.

Scotty

Sounds like I need a bigger bus!

I was thinking about taking the train and staying over night.

Though I might drive and camp a few nights at the Showgrounds ....

Last edited:
Just put my hand up to judge both days. So the judge steward registration is working, what's that up to 100 beers in two days if I get the right/wrong flights.
I think I will enter an APA and an IAPA so I can avoid hop poisoning this year :)
Mark

Just put my hand up to judge both days. So the judge steward registration is working, what's that up to 100 beers in two days if I get the right/wrong flights.
I think I will enter an APA and an IAPA so I can avoid hop poisoning this year :)
Mark

And I seem to remember stewarding a flight where a certain Mark who shall not be named commented on all but one or two APA/IPA's something along the lines of "not enough hops"

Might have been this Mark.
When you are judging its to the style descriptor and when it says "Intense, dominant..." it has to be there in spades.
Personally I loathe Rye beers (generally) but that hasn't stopped me sending one to the BOS round, because it was really, really well made and ticked all the style boxes, doesn't mean I'm looking to do a whole flight of Rye beers.
Mark

here i am thinking you are all somehow taking a helicopter or cessna from newy to gosford!

Sounds like I need a bigger bus!

I was thinking about taking the train and staying over night.

Though I might drive and camp a few nights at the Showgrounds ....

That looks like a good plan.

12 Days before entries close on 8th September for this years Comp, Judges & Stewards also need to register their interest on the comp website and specify which sessions/days they'll be available for:
https://nsw-brewing-championships.org/index.php?main_page=contact_vrp

All entries are to be submitted by registering on the comp website where you can download the already completed bottle labels, there are no DIY paper forms this year.

Hi, I just registered but I can't see on the N.S.W comp site how to print out labels and how to submit electronic entry form.
Please help
cheers

Hi, I just registered but I can't see on the N.S.W comp site how to print out labels and how to submit electronic entry form.
Please help
cheers
When it says "A confirmation message has been sent to your registered email address.
You can print your Entry form and bottle labels here." Click the link Next page over to the right of screen click "View" than your labels should be at the bottom of that page. You should of also got an email with a link to the labels.
Good luck

Hi All

Once you have registered you simply choose the category you wish to enter from the left hand menu. Choose style from within the category and click add entry.

the website will then generate unique printable bottle labels and give you options of how to pay for your entry.

Please see attached images.

Cheers

Adam
Step 1 Choose Category.jpg
Step 2 Choose Style.jpg
Step 3 Enter.jpg

Hi all,
By way of clarification, please find attached PDF visual guide to the process of registering entries through the Comp website, hopefully this should answer any queries you may have.

Attachments

• AABC NSW 2018_How To Enter2.pdf
    390.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi all,
By way of clarification, please find attached PDF visual guide to the process of registering entries through the Comp website, hopefully this should answer any queries you may have.

According to step 9 I should have gotten unique numbers for a multiple entry.
I actually got ####.1 and ####.1 rather than ####.1 and ####.2

According to step 9 I should have gotten unique numbers for a multiple entry.
I actually got ####.1 and ####.1 rather than ####.1 and ####.2

Hi Uyllii, were both of those (####.1 and ####.1) numbers identical, and were they separate beer styles?
The bottle labels will give you 2 identical ID numbers for bottle 1 and bottle 2 of your entry.
Just want to clarify before going further

Back