2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate, that's the plan for tomorrow. Have a Chinook down in the garden that's looking good so at least I'll get some hops this year!

Little down in bine size compared to last season.....but the cones are huge
IMG_20180122_212850_011.jpg
IMG_20180124_200252_206.jpg
IMG_20180122_212700_366.jpg

Little down in bine size compared to last season.....but the cones are hugeView attachment 111316View attachment 111317View attachment 111318

I reduced my bine count per line to 3 (instead of 4-5 last year) and I got the same result. Not necessarily causal, but last year there was so much vegetation up high (and so many f*cking flowers) that a lot of the flowers were smallish and pale. Sort of small acorn size and shape.

This year, although a lower quantity of flowers, they are huge and green and look freaking awesome. Next year I'll drop it down to 2 per bine and see how the quality goes... not too concerned about getting a reduced harvest, I've still got 2015 flowers to go thru...!

1517087295339.jpeg

Anyone know why I'm seeing this only on the Mt Hood varieties, and not on any others? All plants have had same watering / feeding schedules.

If it is localised, I'd say some type of bug is infesting them. I get a little of this every year and remove it as soon as I see it. Could be blight, but it usually starts at the tip and grows up the flower, and does not usually come on until later in the growth cycle...not in burr stage.

If it is localised, I'd say some type of bug is infesting them. I get a little of this every year and remove it as soon as I see it. Could be blight, but it usually starts at the tip and grows up the flower, and does not usually come on until later in the growth cycle...not in burr stage.
I was thinking that too. Maybe also some really hot windy days?

I was thinking that too. Maybe also some really hot windy days?
Could be. It looks like they are browning from the stig outwards which is why I'm thinking it may be getting munched on from inside. The outside of the bracts and leaves look healthy.

Could be. It looks like they are browning from the stig outwards which is why I'm thinking it may be getting munched on from inside. The outside of the bracts and leaves look healthy.

Last three days were hot, windy and unusually humid, and this has only occurred on the very small burrs that have developed over the last week.

I've been struggling with spider mites, but no evidence of any critters on leaves or in the area. Also starting to wonder if there isn't sufficient air flow around the plants. Some of the cones may be showing signs of tip blight, but as you said it's strange that the burrs are being affected so soon?

Last three days were hot, windy and unusually humid, and this has only occurred on the very small burrs that have developed over the last week.

I've been struggling with spider mites, but no evidence of any critters on leaves or in the area. Also starting to wonder if there isn't sufficient air flow around the plants. Some of the cones may be showing signs of tip blight, but as you said it's strange that the burrs are being affected so soon?
A bad infestation of spider mites will cause all the flowers on the plant to brown.

Aquaponic Cascade well endowed as usual. Burring up like crazy.
Hops 20180002.JPG
Hops 20180003.JPG

Chinook strong as ever too.

Hops 20180005.JPG
Hops 20180004.JPG
Hops 20180008.JPG

Corridors of Red Earth, Goldings, Hallertau all fairly average this year since a heat wave in spring sent them into premature flowering before they developed properly really messed them up and now they are just going into re-burring stage.
Hops 20180007.JPG

The sad Tettnang. It just doesn't seem to handle Melbourne weather. Its the first to eagerly kick off early spring then is very vulnerable, actually seems like a magnet for pest attack. The weekest of them. 2nd year fail now but I may as well give them another year to see if they adapt at all maybe...
Hops 20180001.JPG

Thanks Belgrave and Bhundoo, next year (hopefully if I'm still growing) I'll give both those a go.

I whacked the mites with some heavy stuff this year (it worked) but I don't really want to do that again.

Back