2015 Whisky Barrels -

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good work.. now just to get more barrels

Yob said:
yes.. have them age whisky for 5 years in them...

oh wait...
I wonder if you could speed up the process by filling it and having it sit at, say, 5 psi. The idea being the mild pressure forces the scotch into the barrel wood more quickly. A bit like pump brine-ing a ham - a quick pump + 24hrs sitting in brine, rather than 2 slow weeks passively sitting in brine (I think). Surely a barrel is the same as a leg of pork...

Admittedly the result is 2nd rate compared to "proper" salted ham. But it might still provide a suitable result for the barrel scenario. Say, 6-12 months of barrel aging, instead of 5 years. Fwiw, double oaked whiskey is da bomb.

Mardoo said:
Yeah, but you'd draw off a keg every month or so ;) It would get expensive quickly.
That's the beauty of a 20L barrel! All fits into 1 keg when you're ready to drain the barrel.

I seriously doubt they're pressure rated, it'd be an expensive fill, a full whisky barrel goes for thousands depending on the Distillery,

Even to just buy in bulk and fill would be pretty expensive.

We were getting the 100 ones wet for near the price of those linked above brand new.

Yob said:
I seriously doubt they're pressure rated, it'd be an expensive fill, a full whisky barrel goes for thousands depending on the Distillery,

Even to just buy in bulk and fill would be pretty expensive.

We were getting the 100 ones wet for near the price of those linked above brand new.

Do we have to wait until we get 8?

Yob - 1 x Brandy 100l
Vanners 1 x Bourbon 100l
Grainer - Sherry 100l
skb - Port 100l
Blunt -1 X port 100L

Total 5 of 8

Yob said:
Wolfman: 1
Yeastfridge: ?
Brewnut: 1 (Can possibly secure my second) I would prefer a 25lt or 2 but I will take what I can get.
Black n Tan: 2 x 25L
Cooperville: 2 x 25ltr
slcmorro: 1 x 25L (price dependant)
Clickeral: 2 x 25L (one of each if they are different) could also be keen on 100L as an option :) (all price dependant :p)
GoodDuck: 1 x 25L (price dependant)
Batz: 1 x 25L perhaps 2? (price dependent) with shipping to the sunny coast.
Brutusb: 1 x 25L perhaps 2? (price dependent)
Grainer 2 x 25LT (PENDING PRICE
AJ80: 1 x 25L
Idzy - More
SKB - 100l
Cannibal Smurf
Vanners
bradleybiscuits - 2 x 25L ( Pending Price)

shit eh... Im giving them all a poke to see where we are at.

blunt said:
Yob - 1 x Brandy 100l
Vanners 1 x Bourbon 100l
Grainer - Sherry 100l
skb - Port 100l
Blunt -1 X port 100L

Total 5 of 8
only 3 to go... come on people these will be awesome... just get a few brewers and it'll be sweet

Yob - 1 x Brandy 100l
Vanners 1 x Bourbon 100l
Grainer - Sherry 100l
skb - Port 100l
Blunt -1 X port 100L

Total 4 of 8

I think Grainer is out, so sorry back to 4, even as it stands, these may all not be available, I'd have to check, this was months ago now

hmm may be on board.. 100L is a lot..already got 100L of sour on the go... may be able to split it..??

Back