barrelled beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Whose got em? What do you put in them? How big? What was in them originally?

I've got 2 ex Bourbon 100l single Malt Whisky barrels. One with RIS in it, about 3-4 months of age and the other has scotch ale, with s couple of weeks on it.

Still very strong whisky coming out of it and what I'm doing is taking and replacing, so took a keg out the other night and filled it back up again right away.. 5 kegs of RIS is probably a bit much to have sitting about in kegs.

The scotch ale is a collaborative barrel so will probably be emptied in one hit. Not sure yet what it'll be replaced with.

I don't but I've been thinking about it, I don't think I'd go 100l tho maybe 30l for some special projects. It's something that I'm interested in learning more about.

Whilst we're on the subject, those that do have 100l barrels, where do you get them from?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1447540433.989330.jpg

your tag line says you have a bottled barrel aged RIS.. where d you manage to do that if you don't have a barrel?

I've got a 100l barrel that is from the Yalumba winery. It had shiraz in it.
So far I've had a clean porter through it. The recipe was somewhat like this http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_bourbon_vanilla_porter.php . I left out the vanilla and Bourbon. It picked up plenty of oak from the barrel.
Then it turned into a funk barrel. I was aiming for a flanders red style. I used the wyeast lambic blend and some dregs from commercial sours. This lasted for about 2 years. Over that time I kegged a bit here and there and replaced with new beer. A couple of months ago I kegged and bottled the lot.

20150929_114945.jpg

20150929_154037.jpg

Now it is full of stout. I plan on leaving this for a year or so.

I brought a brand new (20litre) barrell and have run port through it for a few years now (3years) wonder weather I should drain and get some ris in there for a bit. I could also age some beer in corny keg with some really nice oak I got in a bulk buy from another forum for another hobby that I won't go into. The list of options is endless.

Hardest this is finding someone willing to sell the firkin things under 100L

I have 4 X 15ltr barrels I got from the local boat club... They were just using them as wine serving displays... using plastic bladders (a step up from goon lol)... so, they had never held liquid... I washed them out and now age beer in them... I will eventually start aging all my lambics, but at the moment they are a bit sharp and woody.... just kegged a porter that I aged 1/2 in the barrel for 2 weeks then blended back into the clean half... turned out perfect, just the right amount of oak.

Oh yeah, I also use them tipped up on their ends as they only have one actual barrel head, the other end has a removable cap, which I just removed and covered the end with glad wrap... works great :)

Kingy said:
... wonder weather I should drain and get some ris in there for a bit...
YES !!

I tried Yob's barreled RIS on Saturday.
Amazing stuff.

And the Mayor of mildura's Flanders Red from a couple of case swaps ago is one of the best beers I've ever had. I believe that's the beer he mentions above that had a year or 2 in a barrel.

Get on it if you can. Chop chop.

Grainer said:
You really have to cask yourself "What is it so difficult ?"

Grainer said:
Around 40 of us Qld. brewers are about to score one or more 100l babies each.

homer-excited.png

Latest posts

Back