2014 Vic Xmas in July case swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just racked 22odd litres of stout onto 3kg of raspberries - hope you guys like the sound of a raspberry saison stout for a swap beer...tasted good before it went onto the fruit.

Yob, just how much weight are you envisioning to support & how high? 'Reason I ask is that I'm going to need to buy extra shelving for the new shed & can get stuff that will support 100Kg per shelf & can go up to 2m high. 4 shelves available. 500mm deep.

Martin, I don't think they have to be very high as well be pumping yeah? I might have something appropriate, just need to cast a discerning eye on it (and the space) to get it in my head. What I need to do I think is catch up with idzy and have a look at the monster kettle and sort that out.

OK, 'just didn't know what you have in mind (it's your available space that's the visual stumbling-block for me atm).

I think we should have as many pumps available as we can get. Compatibility of fittings is also perhaps where I'm coming from (ie. QD's/cam-locks etc).

Gravity is our friend should things go tits-up from an electrical/pumping/transfer perspective.

Your call as Braumeister!

I'll have a go at 120cm diameter by your shoulder height Yob, for Idzy's kettle. It's been awhile since I've seen it.

Mardoo said:
I'll have a go at 120cm diameter by your shoulder height Yob, for Idzy's kettle. It's been awhile since I've seen it.
Geez! We're talking 700Kg+ when full!!!!! That's not something to Jerry-rig when we're talking about boiling wort.. :unsure:

all sorts of things can be rigged to support..

It may come to make some sense why I feel we should get the equipment sorted the night before.. lets be straight here, this is an epic sized mash and boil, biggest Ive been a part of..

I think all the equipment ofr it is sorted, its now just a matter of making it all work..

pff, twill be a doddle, the most important thing is planning properly which I think we can get on top of :blink:

Yob said:
Havnt seen Idzy on in a while.. maybe he drowned cleaning his 600lt kettle :blink:
Sorry guys, started a new job and been quite busy.

Yob said:
Im still bustin my brain trying to work out how we are going to support a couple of hundred kilo of mash tuns :lol:

Ive seen them collapse on previous swaps so if anyone has ideas Im open to suggestion...

Currently thinking of making a trellis out of the fold up ladder and some timber.... kind of impromptu platform if you will.. most of the stuff Ive been looking at is not really rated to the sort of weight we are going to commit to it...
All of my stuff will be on transportable fabricated stands. I haven't built it yet, but that is the plan.

Yob said:
Depends on how mant mash tuns we run, idzs is the biggest, I'll let you know mate
Yeah, the MLT that I have will also be supported.

Yob said:
Martin, I don't think they have to be very high as well be pumping yeah? I might have something appropriate, just need to cast a discerning eye on it (and the space) to get it in my head. What I need to do I think is catch up with idzy and have a look at the monster kettle and sort that out.
I have a 809 and a 815 that I will be bringing along to assist with pumping.

Also, I have made 3 extra hoses up for the new rig, so will have 6 camlock hoses that I can bring along if we need some extras, so all we will need to do is fit some camlock fittings where needed potentially...

MartinOC said:
Geez! We're talking 700Kg+ when full!!!!! That's not something to Jerry-rig when we're talking about boiling wort.. :unsure:
Definitely my thoughts exactly. This has got to 100% safe. The only question I have is what surface will the rig be on? Is it a concrete surface or will it be soil?

Cheers,
Idzy

Concrete hard soil.. It's got no give in it mate.. It's gunna be fine, I'll give you a ring idzy, maybe pop round in a week or two and we'll have a look together at the layout.

jyo said:
Make sure you blokes post some pics!
Mate, the last one we did was a paltry 200L boil & another ~80L(?) parti-gyle. This one is going to make that look like a polite Sunday afternoon tiffin with the local vicar... :party:

I hope someone has a video camera for this one (some judicious editing will be required since Cocko is involved, though :unsure: )....

Still haven't brewed anything for this event, though I would like to do my white ale again as it was very tasty!

Brewed mine yesterday.

Swap Attendees

1. Yob
2. Mardoo
3. Idzy
4. Technobabble66 - probably a Fat Yak style PA done w kolsch yeast.
5. GrumpyPaul - "Grumpy's Scottish Litter" (Scottish 80 to be aged on bourbon soaked oak)
6. Grainer - Robust Porter.. plus some top up of something else..not enough bottles as it is going in a comp
7. Brouhaha
8. Cocko - sKirt.
9. MartinOC
10. Midnight Brew
11. Wolfman (tentative)
12. zeggie
13. Damn - Probably an IPA\
14. DJ_L3ThAL - probably my Chestnut Pilsner
15. Camo6 - apa/ipa
16. micbrew
17. Warmbeer
18. JB
19. ro55c0
20. Whiteferret
21. AJ80 - raspberry saison stout
22. Edak
23. Black n Tan
24. Carpedaym

Reserves:
1. Relaxed brewer
2. Breakbeer
3. syl
4. Shane R
5. Woostyle

Non-Swap Attendees
1. Nullnvoid
3. CarpeDaym
4. RelaxedBrewer
5. New_Guy - will make some slow roast pulled pork taco's

Cubes/Brewers
1. Technobabble - 20L
2. Grainer 20L
3. Mardoo 20L
4. MartinOC 20L
5. Idzy 20L
6. Damn 20L
7. DJ_L3ThAL 20L
8. Yob 20L
9. JB 20L
10. Micbrew 20L
11. ro55c0 20L
12. Whiteferret 20L if enough can be brewed.
13. AJ80 20L, but understand am at the bottom of a looooooong list
14. RelaxedBrewer 20L
15. Breakbeer 20L
16. Midnight Brew 20L

Total: 320 litres

Edited to add AJ80's "raspberry saison stout" to th list of swap beers. I am hoping thats what he is still offering - sounds delicious

Out of curiosity....

Is there room to squeeze on the list of cubers?

I have lost track of what the capacity of this super brew is going to end up being.

Has a recipe been decided yet? if so what is it?

Latest posts

Back