2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp0rk said:
Dug up my Victoria rhizome today and transferred it into the same pot as the Chinook
The ends of the Victoria Rhizome had rotted a bit, so I have a feeling it's gonna cark it soon
However the Chinook had 3 shoots just about to breach the surface and about 10 more just starting to bud :D
I have no idea why you would want to put it in the same pot as your Chinook. Best bet might be to trim the ends off the Vic rhizome and transfer it to its own pot and put it in a warm spot and keep moist.

hoppy2B said:
I have no idea why you would want to put it in the same pot as your Chinook. Best bet might be to trim the ends off the Vic rhizome and transfer it to its own pot and put it in a warm spot and keep moist.
Because I have the feeling I've put way too much fertiliser and seasol in the soil and It's possibly burning the rhizome
These were just in temporary puts over winter, they're being planted into individual half 220 litre plastic drums next weekend

Here's my first time hop plantation, Cascade on the left, Chinook on the right. Mostly happy, but can someone tell me what's getting at my chinook? (See second pic) found a green caterpillar on a leaf this morning, could that be the culprit?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did it look like this?

1850-1_asl.jpg

Could be some type of cabbage moth caterpillar. If you've seen those white moths getting about most likely is.
The little pricks are fast workers and ripped through my broccoli in a couple of days.
I launched a counter strike with tomato dust which sorted them out but I don't know if that would be suitable for hops. A good, fairly benign method for control is steeping some garlic and chili in water for a few days, pouring it into a squirt bottle with a few drops of detergent. They hate it.

Dave70 said:
Did it look like this?

1850-1_asl.jpg

Could be some type of cabbage moth caterpillar. If you've seen those white moths getting about most likely is.
The little pricks are fast workers and ripped through my broccoli in a couple of days.
I launched a counter strike with tomato dust which sorted them out but I don't know if that would be suitable for hops. A good, fairly benign method for control is steeping some garlic and chili in water for a few days, pouring it into a squirt bottle with a few drops of detergent. They hate it.
Had those little bastards destroy my broccoli and spinach :angry:

Will be sure to keep an eye on my hops, thanks for the tip on the garlic/chilli I will be sure to keep some of that at the ready :icon_cheers:

tricache said:
Had those little bastards destroy my broccoli and spinach :angry:

Will be sure to keep an eye on my hops, thanks for the tip on the garlic/chilli I will be sure to keep some of that at the ready :icon_cheers:
*Top Tip*

Avoid the mist getting in your eyes. Really.

Or on your genitalia.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a whirl. Looked a bit different to that one but I'm sure it'll work. Little bastards won't know what's hit 'em!

looking good guys ,
I nabbed the last cascade from my local bunnings and put up 3 st/less cables 4mts up to my facia hopefully its enough.... it crawl up my roof it wants. ha ha.
but I also have a hop plant I bought of this old guy from Wantirna trash and treasure last year . it was potted and he told me a yarn of how his son imports hops and it was a cutting of one he brought back from Germany. he couldn't tell me the name of it "h or G" he said . I thought for $7 id buy it anyway. I didn't get a yield last year but its cranking up already. I reckon almost 5 ft high. ill put up some photos tomorrow.
brons

my biggest bine (Victoria) snapped in the wind storms

<_< :( :angry:

rest are all popping up in bunches.. ;)

Almost time to start letting the cables down to give my Cascade some more growing room. The pole is 4,8m but the pots are a metre off the ground.

I guess i can get 5 metres of growth as i let them sag down a couple of foot at a time.

hops5.jpg

Looks good Punkin. Looks like they take off early in your part of the country.
My most advanced hop is my Golding at around 1 metre. Slowed down a bit in the windy weather recently and with slightly cooler temps, but should pic up as the weather warms this week.

hoppy2B said:
Looks good Punkin. Looks like they take off early in your part of the country.
My most advanced hop is my Golding at around 1 metre. Slowed down a bit in the windy weather recently and with slightly cooler temps, but should pic up as the weather warms this week.

I think they are just racing due to high compost and manure loading over the winter feeding them up now. Just went back and looked at page 1 and it was the 7th of last month they poked their heads out, so 4 weeks growth on them. Lots of other people were showing growth before me, but i think the preperation has allowed my hops to catch up.

Just starting to grow some branching shoots (laterals?) the last couple of days too.

4 weeks growth? That's huge for 4 weeks

Mines been sitting at around 4-5 inches high forever haha.. Manure, fertilizer, sunlight (moving the pot around to maximise sun hours), water.. Still no big growth.

Although it is first season for it so it's probably just setting its roots up first.. I hope haha

IMAG0841.jpg my 3rd year clusters is starting to produce a heap of burs not long now till a harvest I think :icon_drool2: seems heaps earlier than last year the rest of my plants are nowhere near that

i planted late and have this happening..it have three shoots and it's off one cutting..suggestions
2pzifpw.jpg

Mind you it's1St my attempt at growing

Latest posts

Back