2013 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
Photo one. Definitely strawberries.

attachicon.gif
phpDeitLuAM.jpg

Photo two. Hopefully hops.

leaves look the same, but there are the compared to one on the strawberry plant.

attachicon.gif
phpRdLbiuAM.jpg
Strawberries in both pics.

I did an image search for hop shoots just now and found a heap of interesting recipes for hop shoots. Anyone who is thinning their bines down might find pickled hop shoots (or similar) interesting.

I gave an Asian bloke I work with a cascade and a Chinook rhizome last year for this, and the added bonus that I get the hops off un eaten bines..

Howdy,

Anyone know where you can buy hop plants in Adelaide?

cheers
bt1

Has anyone allowed their hops to grow without support/something to grow on, i.e just allowed to run rampant on the ground.
As they are a viney type of plant, similar from what I can tell to cucumber and zuchinni in their growth, would they just grow all over getting longer as they went to gain sunlight for the whole plant.
Surely naturally that is how they grow, with us greedy humans stringing them up to increase yield and/or growing area.
Only asking as I may be selling our house over the next few months and I'd rather not have to construct a hop yard if we are staying, but would like to have a crop next year if we don't sell.
Any ideas or experience out there.

To keep on topic my plants are going well and Hoppy the cluster you sent is twice the size of everthing else, may need to smoke it to stunt its 'dwarfy' growth. :D

bt1 said:
Howdy,

Anyone know where you can buy hop plants in Adelaide?

cheers
bt1
May still be some on e-bay.

I got home from a few days in Ballarat to find three bines had just breached the surface. Very happy man, I am.

Nipped out the tips of my Cascade this afternoon...well, on the 3 bines which had already reached the top of the ropes. I'll do the rest as they get to the same point.

I haven't limited the number of bines, so I have around 2-3 bines on each of the 5 ropes.

I'm subscribing to the Oregon study, as posted earlier, regarding growing regular varietals as if they were dwarves.

Apparently, this method will always have lower harvests, but is a good option if a lack of space is an issue. Commercially, it is also labour saving, but that isn't such an issue on a small scale.
So it appears to be a trade off between harvest size and effort/space required.

Put some seasol and cow fertiliser on my plants yesterday
went to check them this afternoon and the shoots were all wilted :(
Hopefully giving them a good watering over the next few days should help

Just wondering if anyone has come across any literature on how to grow more resinous hops. Found plenty of info out there to increase yield, primarily more fertilizer and water etc and of course sunlight hours plays a part though we can't control that (unless your into providing artificial light in the right wavelength) I have noticed big differences in hop quality over the years where by some years the hops have had huge amounts of cones but no where near the same resin as other crops and where somewhat grassy. I would rather grow less hops with a massive resin hit hops than loads with little resin. Has anyone come across the secret is it as simple as trimming the bines to only a few and concentrating the hops or are there there other things at play. Anyway I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts on this matter.

Starting small. First Goldings rhizome has popped up on the balcony. Will transfer into ground this week and get strung out. Mentioned it to a friend and turns out her parents are hop farmers in the UK. They're building another timber oast house and have emailed some pics.

Rhizome courtesy of ratchie.

image.jpg

sp0rk said:
Put some seasol and cow fertiliser on my plants yesterday
went to check them this afternoon and the shoots were all wilted :(
Hopefully giving them a good watering over the next few days should help
Fresh manure will burn the foliage, make sure it's not touching to get no leaf burn :)

A couple of my leaves are burnt, but the rest are fine. The fresher it is, the worse it is .

Jurt said:
Fresh manure will burn the foliage, make sure it's not touching to get no leaf burn :)

A couple of my leaves are burnt, but the rest are fine. The fresher it is, the worse it is .
Presumably if the cow/chicken has been eating a vindaloo the burn will be even more pronounced.

DEPLOY BIOLOGICAL COUNTERMEASURES !!

Use of lethal force authorised....execute with extreme prejudice...

(I've named him Jason Bourne)

Well, it looks like only the victoria had it's shoot affected (the one and only shoot :( )
it's only died from the top to half way down the 3-ish inch shoot, should I just leave it or trim it back?

Just leave it sp0rk, pity as my Victoria is booming, I gave it some string a few weeks ago and within 2 hours it had twisted round the twine twice and has gone mad since. Bines are sooo spiky too..

Really loving this spring weather, rain and Sun is doing them wonders

Yob said:
Just leave it sp0rk, pity as my Victoria is booming, I gave it some string a few weeks ago and within 2 hours it had twisted round the twine twice and has gone mad since. Bines are sooo spiky too..

Really loving this spring weather, rain and Sun is doing them wonders
Fair enough, I'll leave it be
Hopefully it'll get a nice big root system this year and then go gangbusters next year

Dug up my Victoria rhizome today and transferred it into the same pot as the Chinook
The ends of the Victoria Rhizome had rotted a bit, so I have a feeling it's gonna cark it soon
However the Chinook had 3 shoots just about to breach the surface and about 10 more just starting to bud :D

Back