2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems i'm having some troubles with the stunted growth and dying leaves on a plant i've got in a pot. It was planted in a mix of mushroom compost, normal compost and some potting mix. The old lady suggested some potassium sulfate (sulfate of potash) might do the trick, so I've dosed the poor bugger with it this arvo and will see how that goes. It says on the packet to add it once a week for 4 - 5 weeks

View attachment 57994 View attachment 57992 View attachment 57993

oh and nice poles gava, going by the scale of your delivery dumptruck they are about 600m high!?

I wouldn't bother with the potash till you see signs of flowering. Looking at the photos I can see the tips of the leaves burning so I would ease off the fertilizer till the plant has recovers.

Mine seem to be about a month behind last years, growth-wise.
Anyone else in SE-QLD having the same thing?

I think it has something to do with temperature, we own a few farms and we have absolutely no summer weeds coming up yet and our corn is growing very slowly, compared to previous years.

I think it has something to do with temperature, we own a few farms and we have absolutely no summer weeds coming up yet and our corn is growing very slowly, compared to previous years.

First year here so thats good to know. Even my tomatoes are a bit "meh" at the moment...the weather is all over the place though

Quick question guys.

One of my hop bines has "snapped" about 6 inches short of the tip. It's still partially connected, and seems to still be providing nutrients to the tip, though it has slowed growth enormously to only 5mm or so a day, where it was at 6cm or more previously.

My question is, can I cut the bine back to the snapped part? Or will that completely halt the growth of the bine?

Don't stress tomato, it will grow laterals eventually that may continue the march upwards.

It's already about 9 feet tall give or take, I'm worried the snap is in the worst possible spot, about half way of what the final length should be.

So it's 8.5 feet tall to the snapped spot? Just cut it off there and the bine will shoot a bucketload of laterals...which is where most cones form.

Yep, its about that height give or take an inch.

So if I cut it there it won't grow a new tip and keep growing, only grow laterals?

Tomato, no it will not grow a new tip from where you cut it. Some of the laterals that develop later on may continue the march upwards. In the past I have had plenty of growing tips get snapped of by wind and birds etc. Don't fret.

How are the hops going for people living in QLD?

Mine are bloody slow, but I may have been babying them.

Cheers Ben

Slow and a bit bushy, not climbing anything yet.
Some bines have shot up about 100mm in the last week though, so that is promising.

I may have overdosed them on chook shit a couple of months ago though, the marigolds didn't like it much.

I have a feeling that I may have given them too much manure too.

Hopefully they will take off as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Hey how often do you water yours Liam?

Slow and a bit bushy, not climbing anything yet.
Some bines have shot up about 100mm in the last week though, so that is promising.

I may have overdosed them on chook shit a couple of months ago though, the marigolds didn't like it much.

About every second day, if it hasn't rained.

I'm not worried, they look healthy to me.
This time last year they were climbing, 1m out of the ground and flapping about looking for things to grab onto.

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

They could have been picked in Feb Mar or April 2012 .

I'll pay that one after our/your session last night! didnt leave till 9.30pm! blindddddd

file-25.jpg

New frame for my Cascade and Chinook plants. (They kick ass)

file-26.jpg

Cascade on it's way up last week. No doubt be powering along now.

file-27.jpg

Will be nice having the flowers all danging down from here.

Both rhizomes are in the ground for the first time this year. They're both already massive being 3rd and 4th year rhizomes. Frame is around 3m tall, last year I had the Chinook on a huge mast that was WAYYY too high, I could only just reach the top standing on the top rung of a 12' ladder.....pretty precariously.

thats elegant man.. gunna look real nice :)

tett.JPG Tett
por.JPG Por
fugg.JPG Fuggles
ekg.JPG EKG
cascade.JPG Cascade
chinook.JPG Chinook 1 of 3
chinook_2.JPG Chinook 2 of 3

Moving along nicely now

:icon_cheers:

Liam snorkel, it has been very dry in SE Qld for this time of year. We usually have over flowing water tanks at this time of year and atm ours are almost empty. Do you think lack of humidity in the air as well as lack of rain has hindered growth? Mine are looking similar and I'm getting a bit annoyed/worried. Are other people in SE Qld having similar experiences?

Latest posts

Back