2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damnit.

Replanted my Cascade rhizome on Sunday, to a more sunny position (was getting none where it was). The one tiny little stalk grew half an inch yesterday.
So after the 30-degree day today, I was looking forward to seeing some gains... a bird must have got to the *******... nothing there at all. Bare soil.

What hops do you still have growing now?

Damnit.

Replanted my Cascade rhizome on Sunday, to a more sunny position (was getting none where it was). The one tiny little stalk grew half an inch yesterday.
So after the 30-degree day today, I was looking forward to seeing some gains... a bird must have got to the *******... nothing there at all. Bare soil.

Keep it moist, it will most likely come back.
I had a similar thing happen last year with a first year plant. The bine popped up in early Feb, climbed 3 metres and threw a heap of flowers by late March.

@Golani51: I don't have any more right now mate. A bloke at work kindly donated the Cascade to me which I attempted to put to good use.

@Muscovy: cool, yeah I'm hoping not all is lost - the rhizome is still in it's "nest", and it copped a soak last night.

Here are mine, I planted the rhizomes in early August so I'm fairly happy with the results, particularly given that it hasn't really warmed up in Melbourne yet. Being in an inner-city townhouse, I'm bound to using pots. I chose Super Alpha, Cascade, Saaz and Hallertau to give me the ability to do APAs, IPAs, Kolsch/Pils and Weizens, so all major food groups covered :D

The back decking gets sunlight all day round which is handy. I've clipped them when they've gotten to the top of the 6' stakes, resulting in them to start bushing out. Nice!

View attachment 58082

Super Alpha came up first and has gone ballistic. Big hopes for this fella...

View attachment 58084

Cascade

View attachment 58083

Saaz

View attachment 58085

Hallertau

View attachment 58086

Thats perfect!!! I live in a townhouse so our backyard is kinda small and I was looking at ideas with pots and this is perfect!! Thanks :D

My Tettnanger. Cascade is even bigger. Roots have grown straight through that pot into the ground. 5th Year plant

530931_10151311362766834_2120996977_n.jpg

I'm amazed to see some of the pictures of some Melbourne plants. Mine always take till late October or now till they start to sprout then they go ape shit and grow into late March early April. Ive got some 2yr olds and some 3yr olds and they all react the same. Most in full sun too. Anyone else in Melbourne get late bloomers?

I'm amazed to see some of the pictures of some Melbourne plants. Mine always take till late October or now till they start to sprout then they go ape shit and grow into late March early April. Ive got some 2yr olds and some 3yr olds and they all react the same. Most in full sun too. Anyone else in Melbourne get late bloomers?

I have three plants that are getting close to a meter now and one that is about 40mm :p I'm past Geelong though. I hope the little one is just a late bloomer.

Depends on the hop variety I've found. I have a mix of Aussie, Euro and US hops and the Euro ones always get going quicker because they're used to a colder climate. The last one to pop each year is the Chinook and when it does it overtakes the rest in a couple of weeks. Mental hop.

i wouldnt say its a small pot...its not massive but does the job. i really should of repotted them a couple of years ago into a wine barrell or something but i get lazy. The root system has now gone through the bottom of those pots and into the ground! went to pick the pot up one day and it just wouldnt budge. Its obviously happy now so im leaving it alone. All i have done is when it reach's the top of the trellis just carefully start feeding it length ways across the trellis.

Finally managed to kick the peas out and get some action from the hops. Near to far they are Cascade, 2 x Chinook and Cluster. I had a Goldings in the near pot but it didn't take after getting a little ugly looking in the fridge.

DSCN1310.JPG

I have a single cascade doing quite well, not nearly as well as some posted up here but I'm happy with its progress.

Quick question regarding new growth. I have about 6 or so bines around the 2m mark doing quite well, but there are probably another 6 seemingly stunted at around the 200mm mark. I'm wondering if it worth pruning the shorter ones giving more nutrients etc to the longer more advanced ones? It's a 3rd year plant in less than ideal conditions from what I now understand. I have read that commercial growers only allow a few bines off each plant to grow, I assume there is some reasoninig to this but does it translate to the home grown conditions?

Cheers

NDH

I can't wait to grow some hops next year, loving what I'm seeing in this thread, just have to wait for construction to finish and I'll have the perfect spot for them up onto the deck :)

The roof of the deck will be about 1m above the top platform of that scaffolding - plenty of vertical space that will be accessible from 3 levels (on the deck, on the retaining wall and on the natural ground level).

Ed

I have a cascade that I got of JYO I had it in a smallish pot for at least 2 months maybe 3 it had put up 3 shoots but they never took off just stayed really small they looked like little bushes about 1-2" high.

Well I have recently moved to a new house and found a spot where it should get a good bit of sun so I put it in the ground yesterday. The soil/potting mix in the pot must have had drainage problems because the potting mix stunk to high heaven like it was rotting or the rhizome was, I hope the rhizome is ok I didn't really get a look at it as I cut the bottom out of the pot and dumped the whole lot into the hole so the existing shoots didn't get damaged. It's still green so that's a positive :) The ground it's in now is very sandy so that will help with the potting mix drain that the rhizome is surrounded by but I'm not sure if it would contain many nutrients. Tho the orange tree sure seems to like the soil!

I found a few shoots under the surface ready to pop up as well. Fingers crossed I see some action when I get back from work and have some photos to post :)

@Golani51: I don't have any more right now mate. A bloke at work kindly donated the Cascade to me which I attempted to put to good use.

@Muscovy: cool, yeah I'm hoping not all is lost - the rhizome is still in it's "nest", and it copped a soak last night.

PM sent

My chinook is stunted. It grew to about 20cm and has just stopped its being like that for over a month now and the leaves are starting to brown. Im growing it in a large pot so im wondering if it will be better if i plant it in the ground or should i just leave it?
Im a first time hop grower so any help will be much appreciated.

My chinook and victoria are very much MIA and neither have shown any signs of life.

The columbus, willamette and cascade have all just been taken from there pots and put on various trellis' around one side of my parents house as these areas get the most sunlight and have areas for a few trellis.

The columbus and willamette have both grown over a metre, with the cascade not too far behind.

Now to hope moving them from pot to ground won't upset them too much (re: at all)

I'll post a couple of pictures when I get the chance.

Back