2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinook is stunted. It grew to about 20cm and has just stopped its being like that for over a month now and the leaves are starting to brown. Im growing it in a large pot so im wondering if it will be better if i plant it in the ground or should i just leave it?
Im a first time hop grower so any help will be much appreciated.

Have you been watering them and giving them doses of liquid fertiliser? I usually give mine a sprinkle of water every day (sometimes it's literally only a sprinkle if it hasn't dried out at all) and they get a drink of worm tea 2 - 3 times a week. I'm a first time hop grower too (and they're in a large pot) but these things have started to rocket upwards! I understand how others have grown so quickly now, seems as soon as I put them on one of the strings they're off. Amazing plants, I can understand how they would make a good invasive plant.

Have you been watering them and giving them doses of liquid fertiliser? I usually give mine a sprinkle of water every day (sometimes it's literally only a sprinkle if it hasn't dried out at all) and they get a drink of worm tea 2 - 3 times a week. I'm a first time hop grower too (and they're in a large pot) but these things have started to rocket upwards! I understand how others have grown so quickly now, seems as soon as I put them on one of the strings they're off. Amazing plants, I can understand how they would make a good invasive plant.

Hey mate I have being watering them every couple of days and once a fortnight i add blood and bone liquid fertiliser. Im on the gold coast so i think the weather has being playing a small part.
I had a Mt hood plant that shot up to about a metre but broke when we had a storm so i cut it off and it hasn't come back yet so I'm definitely struggling with the hop growing at the moment.

Hey mate I have being watering them every couple of days and once a fortnight i add blood and bone liquid fertiliser. Im on the gold coast so i think the weather has being playing a small part.
I had a Mt hood plant that shot up to about a metre but broke when we had a storm so i cut it off and it hasn't come back yet so I'm definitely struggling with the hop growing at the moment.

Why would you cut it off? It will just split from there. Shame- the sunlight is not a bad thing.

Why would you cut it off? It will just split from there. Shame- the sunlight is not a bad thing.

Yea i know. The plant broke about 5cm above soil level and was not looking healthy at all so i thought id cut it at the break and it would just grow from there. Instead it just died and hasn't grown back at all. Il definitely know better next time.
Any way heres hoping they come back. I was really hoping to do a brew with my own hops :(

My chinook is stunted. It grew to about 20cm and has just stopped its being like that for over a month now and the leaves are starting to brown. Im growing it in a large pot so im wondering if it will be better if i plant it in the ground or should i just leave it?
Im a first time hop grower so any help will be much appreciated.

Mine haven't shifted either. They look about the same as they do on page 14. That shot was taken mid Sept.
Who knows?
It has been unseasonably cold where I am. Matter of fact, the weather's been totally fcuked all round. Hot / cold / dry / windy.

I think I made the mistake of many first time growers in trying to show to much love. The hallertau and cascade I shoved in the garden and left pretty much alone seem to be powering.

Mine haven't shifted either. They look about the same as they do on page 14. That shot was taken mid Sept.
Who knows?
It has been unseasonably cold where I am. Matter of fact, the weather's been totally fcuked all round. Hot / cold / dry / windy.

I think I made the mistake of many first time growers in trying to show to much love. The hallertau and cascade I shoved in the garden and left pretty much alone seem to be powering.

Always happens. The stuff I managed to break has split off into more bines. The stuff the chooks dug up 3 times have done nothing. On the other hand, whilst some of my stuff is 9ft tall already, my inground magnum has done nothing till 2 days ago and since then grew over a foot.

G'day folks,
My Golding is rocketing along at the moment, so too the Cluster, and POR is starting to shift its arse as well. Been fixing the trellis so will have pics in a few days.
The Columbus I got in earlier this year died on me. :( So I'm wondering if anyone in the Adelaide area has a Columbus growing, second year or better, from which they would let me grab a couple of shoots. Would be much appreciated. Cheers.

I have a cascade that I got of JYO I had it in a smallish pot for at least 2 months maybe 3 it had put up 3 shoots but they never took off just stayed really small they looked like little bushes about 1-2" high.

Well I have recently moved to a new house and found a spot where it should get a good bit of sun so I put it in the ground yesterday. The soil/potting mix in the pot must have had drainage problems because the potting mix stunk to high heaven like it was rotting or the rhizome was, I hope the rhizome is ok I didn't really get a look at it as I cut the bottom out of the pot and dumped the whole lot into the hole so the existing shoots didn't get damaged. It's still green so that's a positive :) The ground it's in now is very sandy so that will help with the potting mix drain that the rhizome is surrounded by but I'm not sure if it would contain many nutrients. Tho the orange tree sure seems to like the soil!

I found a few shoots under the surface ready to pop up as well. Fingers crossed I see some action when I get back from work and have some photos to post :)
A lot of the cheaper potting mix tends to be 'fresh' and contains all sorts of crap (I mean that literally. Mix some mulch in it, regular soil etc and the drainage should improve. I always add worms from the compost heap too.

R

Need to do some trimming his week, looks like I may have a 2-3 Golding shoots to share around come wed/thurs in the northern beaches / Sydney area

My hops are really bolting along in their second season. Several varieties are already pushing out burrs. This time last year they had only started growing. A couple of photos of my Cluster :

Hops_looking_good_November_3_2012_004.jpg

Hops_looking_good_November_3_2012_006.jpg

My hops are really bolting along in their second season. Several varieties are already pushing out burrs. This time last year they had only started growing. A couple of photos of my Cluster :

They appeared to have undwarfed themselves.....

Goldings is at 4 metres and pushing out laterals but no burrs yet. Cluster is at 2 and 1/2 metres now and pumping the burrs out full on at the moment. Still looks like it will be dwarf. Expect it to be slightly taller than last year though.
Golding photos:

Hops_looking_good_November_3_2012_008.jpg

Hops_looking_good_November_3_2012_003.jpg

file-42.jpg

Cascade has reached the top of the 3m strings.....in a week and a half.

file-43.jpg

Chinook finally getting into the swing of things, will no doubt catch up and overtake all my other hops like every other year.

file-45.jpg

Goldings.

I have 4 Goldings and 3 Columbus shoots that are branching out. Happy to snip these off for first in best dressed. PM me if interested. Northern beaches area. Bring a bottle of your finest & a pot.

Both these plants have already reached 2m+ on a few bines

No photos right now of mine ( I should do though ). I'm kinda ashamed since so many people here esp with 2nd year + plants are doing so well compared with mine. I have a two-and-a-bit meter trellis set up with jute twine that is going pretty good, I made the mistake last year of planting varieties that didn't grow well in my climate in the best spot, and putting the best growing variety (Cascade) in the worst spot - shaded all season by a neighbour's big hazelnut tree.

My cascade was a late starter this year as I planted it around the 2nd week of august (2 rhizomes replanted from last year) and the Chinook I got from DrSmurto went in the ground at the same time. The chinook took a while to shoot, took till about the start of Sept before it broke cover (1 bine only) but now is about 1.5m tall. The first cascade rhizome has one major bine that is now about 2.5m tall and about to wrap itself back around the top of the trellis and is starting to shoot its laterals, and the 2nd rhizome has 3 bines all around 1.5m tall. I have a Hersbruck plant in the backyard that is not doing so well but I will see how it goes

Last year was crap, I had a few cones starting to form and then we got a killer hailstorm here in Hazelbrook that shredded my plants, here's hoping this year will be better and I can harvest some cones before any late summer hail

I have 4 Goldings and 3 Columbus shoots that are branching out. Happy to snip these off for first in best dressed. PM me if interested. Northern beaches area. Bring a bottle of your finest & a pot.

Both these plants have already reached 2m+ on a few bines

If I was in that part of the country I'd be there in a flash. :blink:

Finally managed to take a few photos.
Hops were dumped in towards the end of winter, started poking their heads through before they should have.
Liberal amounts of seasol and chicken poop infused water were used to coax them into life, and have been watered daily for 12 minutes on a drip system since.

Hop pit:
gallery_19421_895_465601.jpg

Mt Hood, these babies have about 6 days growth on them. Absolutely shooting up.
Between the two plants there are 7-8 bines that are 40-80cm tall, with the leaves still only 2-4cm wide - they cant keep up.
New shoots seem to be appearing every night and tripling their height overnight.
gallery_19421_895_627647.jpg
gallery_19421_895_133811.jpg

Goldings, as usual, first ones up the ropes. The one at the back hit the top first then stopped growing since it got accidentally tipped.
The one in the front has shot 2 bines to the top and another 2-3 halfway up in the time the other has done nothing.
gallery_19421_895_221258.jpg

Columbus at the front: This thing has more runners then an olympic marathon. The ones in front are the ones i want to surgically remove. Either hand out to you lot or plant elsewhere.
Cascade behind it: Mot much, pretending to be a dwarf with a small stationary 25cm bine.
gallery_19421_895_423818.jpg

Chinooks, these little ones are biding their time. The one at the back is a newly planted and the one in front is a 2nd year that was dwarfing itself, however with the two new shoots/runners that have just poked through seem to be rocketing up.
gallery_19421_895_566215.jpg

Hersbuckers, conniving little bastards - each of these have 5-10 little bines with miniature leaves that are sitting at 5cm long. Waiting for these to start shooting. Last year these were bad-ass plants which produced 50% of the crop. I think they are playing hard to get.
gallery_19421_895_566215.jpg

Hallertau: These two last year were in a different location beside a rock - they nearly died of heat exhaustion as the heated up sandstone oven roasted them. Seem to be pushing up quite nicely. Limited amount of shoots.
gallery_19421_895_359400.jpg

Mt Hood in front: I think this is a Mt Hood - bit dubious. Looks one hell of a lot different to my other two but it may be due to the other having infant leaves that have not fleshed themselves out. Planted this year, from a pot.

Cluster at the back: New rhizome planted and it seems to enjoy itself here. Making some headway with its thin new shoots. Second tallest after the Goldings.
gallery_19421_895_259773.jpg

Plants at the back:
Hallertau, Cluster
gallery_19421_895_182350.jpg

Yesterday I planted out a Victoria shoot I collected about 4 weeks ago and had in pot.

Pickled_Golding_hop_cones_and_Victoria_plants_11__12_Nov_2012_003.jpg

Back