2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam snorkel, it has been very dry in SE Qld for this time of year. We usually have over flowing water tanks at this time of year and atm ours are almost empty. Do you think lack of humidity in the air as well as lack of rain has hindered growth? Mine are looking similar and I'm getting a bit annoyed/worried. Are other people in SE Qld having similar experiences?

I'm a first time grower on the Gold Coast, they seem to be growing ok - not sure what to expect though to be honest.

Have about 5 bines, longest has grown about 2M, shortest has grown maybe a third of that - been in a pot since July I think.

Getting plenty of water, hadn't been able to get any mulch onto them until a short while after planting, but that has helped immensely.

See what happens.

Kev

Garden is pretty crowded but have managed to fit two plants into our new garden in Toowoomba.

DSC03737.jpg

First year Cluster is growing well after an initial setback with something eating the leaves.

DSC03741.jpg

About 8 foot up the ropes

DSC03740.jpg

The first year Chinook actually sprouted first but then some insects got into both plants. Sprayed both with Bug-Beater and the cluster is thriving. The chinook has not done anything since, that was about a month ago. Have fertilised and am watering frequently. Any ideas appreciated.

DSC03739.jpg

My chinook came up pretty late (first time grower :D ) but it looks really healthy at the moment. One bine is about a metre and a half up and the second is also climbing. Nothing but healthy green foliage. Mine had blood and bone mixed through the soil and get a weekly dose of thrive.

Here are mine, I planted the rhizomes in early August so I'm fairly happy with the results, particularly given that it hasn't really warmed up in Melbourne yet. Being in an inner-city townhouse, I'm bound to using pots. I chose Super Alpha, Cascade, Saaz and Hallertau to give me the ability to do APAs, IPAs, Kolsch/Pils and Weizens, so all major food groups covered :D

The back decking gets sunlight all day round which is handy. I've clipped them when they've gotten to the top of the 6' stakes, resulting in them to start bushing out. Nice!

Hopgarden.jpg

Super Alpha came up first and has gone ballistic. Big hopes for this fella...

Super_Alpha.jpg

Cascade

Cascade.jpg

Saaz

Saaz.jpg

Hallertau

Hallertau.jpg

this is my 2nd year clusters it already has hops forming on it my first year POR, Chinook and Clusters look tiny in comparison

2nd_year_clusters.jpg

Mate might be worth tipping that cluster do it grows outwards
this is my 2nd year clusters it already has hops forming on it my first year POR, Chinook and Clusters look tiny in comparison

Mate might be worth tipping that cluster do it grows outwards

I will just let it do its thing i have read they will start growing outward once to cant climb any higher i will leave it for a bit and see what it does

pic of the ladybugs attracted by the marigolds who defend the hop bines didn't turn out... Might send a pic of the high altitude contrails above the rhizome site as the former greatly increases flower production.

I will just let it do its thing i have read they will start growing outward once to cant climb any higher i will leave it for a bit and see what it does

Let it go, it knows what to do. It'll throw laterals when it is ready.

Let it go, it knows what to do. It'll throw laterals when it is ready.

there is so much info to tip not to tip. im really looking forward to this harvest there are so many burrs on the plant :icon_drool2:

These first year Cacade Chinnook And 2 Goldings have taken off and hit the roof

Has anyone had any issues growing them in pots? Like them becoming root bound?

Has anyone had any issues growing them in pots? Like them becoming root bound?

The bottoms are cut out of the pot on mine
The above post
Pot is there just to keep the weeds and snails out

hops2.jpeg
2nd year plants. the left one is POR, middle is Goldings, and the right is Chinook.

Growing about an inch a day. The chinook was the last one to appear but is now the tallest.

hops1.jpeg
first year cascade

Damnit.

Replanted my Cascade rhizome on Sunday, to a more sunny position (was getting none where it was). The one tiny little stalk grew half an inch yesterday.
So after the 30-degree day today, I was looking forward to seeing some gains... a bird must have got to the *******... nothing there at all. Bare soil.

Photos taken this arvo.
3 yr old Chinook storming away on left, 2 yr old Victoria on the right. Vic is pretty much just in a holding pattern but I am not worried, it'll do it's thing when it wants to and if it doesn't then so be it. (total height of poles about 4.5m)

Chinook_Victoria_30_Oct_2012.JPG

3 yr old Hersbrucker on the left, 2nd yr Williamette on the right. Note that they have grown beyond the 4m high support and are starting to collapse under their own weight. I won't 'tip' them, I'll just let them do their own thing, they'll be ok.

Hersbrucker_Williamette_30_Oct_2012.JPG

Latest posts

Back