2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on mine.

Newly planted 2 x Chinook both have shot and one's taken off like a rocket up the rope, the other is thinking about it but was disturbed by an overzealous brewer (me) and appears to have recovered.

2 x Halertau have shot but 1 is already up around 60cm up a star picket close-by.

2 x cascade have poked their heads out from the shit riddled soil for a breath of clean air but not much action....maybe 10cm.

looking forward to maybe geting some fresh harvest brews done come march/april.

Martin

Goddam it, is that one? Tell me if it is cos its the first time I've grown hops and I don't want to be hopping my beers with ******* burrs..

Keep an eye on them, they grow pretty quick, you'll have cones before you know it.
My Fuggle is cropping already. Last week nothing, today I have cones ready to pick. Don't know what anyone else's Fuggle are like but mine have a citrus aroma tending to mmmmaybe orange. :)

fuggle_oranges_18th_september_2012_003.jpg

I sold the house recently so had to transplant all of my hops into pots and re-house them at the in-laws. It certainly hasn't affected them though. All seven have sent up bines. As is the same with other posts on AHB recently, my fuggles has taken the early lead followed by the chinook.

gallery_21633_903_68897.jpg

Update on mine.

Newly planted 2 x Chinook both have shot and one's taken off like a rocket up the rope, the other is thinking about it but was disturbed by an overzealous brewer (me) and appears to have recovered.

2 x Halertau have shot but 1 is already up around 60cm up a star picket close-by.

2 x cascade have poked their heads out from the shit riddled soil for a breath of clean air but not much action....maybe 10cm.

looking forward to maybe geting some fresh harvest brews done come march/april.

Martin

Current pic of the Hallertau in the pot for about 3 weeks.

hops_5.JPG

Bastards. Still nothing on mine.

I'm now positive they are subterrainean dwarves. <_<

Here are some pics of my unusual setup. The idea was to create a system that enabled maximum growth height as well as ease of harvest.

GAP_0001.jpg

This shot attempts to show the whole rig, which is in a 1-acre wire/netting covered garden (essentially a giant circus tent).

The setup requires no vertical supports - there are just two steel poles; one sits on the outside of the wire/netting and provides support for the lower pole, which is suspended via fencing wire a meter or so below. Once the bines reach this first horizontal support they are tipped/trained around the pole as to prevent them from making a tangled mess in the netting above.

When it's time for harvest, steel cables are passed up over the top support and secured to the lower support (ala pulley system), enabling the whole thing to be lowered to a nice chest height for harvest. Last year we harvested the entire crop in one go as the cones all matured quite evenly, but the pulley system means you could lower/raise the bines at will for a staggered harvest.

GAP_0003.jpg

The rhizomes themselves are planted in stainless steel perforated drums (salvaged from discarded washing machines) that are dug into a garden bed. My 'theory' is that this allows better moisture retention than free-standing pots, whilst also preventing the 'zomes from invading the rest of the garden. This is their second year in the pots and the rhizome growth in terms of bulk was phenomenal - my theory again is that limiting the space for root growth helps the plant consolidate it's energy. How it will compare to free-planted rhizomes in the long run I'm yet to see. Some of the long roots however still managed to escape the stainless drums by tapering down to 1mm, growing through the perforations, and then shooting out the other side... rather astonishing.

GAP_0005.jpg

This shows last year's growth just as the bines reached the first support and shows the setup a little clearer - you can see a few tendrils making a run for the top netting before they were tipped/trained.

GAP_0004.jpg

Finally, shot of this year's Hallertauer as of this morning.

Hopefully others will be inspired to implement a pulley-system with their next setup! :)

i was wondering wtf is happen with my POR so i went searching. there i was carefully moving soil out of the way by hand, breaking a few new shoots, muttering a few swear words

then i found the herpetic alien queen...

20120921_073356.jpg

i was wondering wtf is happen with my POR so i went searching. there i was carefully moving soil out of the way by hand, breaking a few new shoots, muttering a few swear words

View attachment 57266

I almost spewed when I saw that....from the awesomeness.

My little Perle has popped it's head out of the ground on the first week of spring.
I still haven't used last years crop - I have a boho pils ready to brew, so I might HTFU & pair it with the saaz.

and i was rough getting it out of the other planter - i sleeved a few of the major roots trying to pull them out. got the shits with that so just chopped them with a shovel about 40cm away from the business...rougher the better i'd say

YMMV, enjoy the obsession until something new and shiny grabs your attention!

You got me in one......

Tettnang was the first to shoot at 2 weeks in the pot, followed the week after by POR, Chinook, cascade, goldings, cluster & centennial.

Still waiting for Mt Hood & hersbrucker to sprout. Had a dig & the roots are going berserk so hopefully won't be long.

They're planted with cow & chook poo and watered from the discharge from the biocycle sewage treatment thing. Nutrient rich for sure.

i am tidying up my hop garden and have por, cluster, & chinook to give away. These arn't just cuttings or rhizomes they are the main plant after I have chopped off what I need, only things are pick up only from portland vic, this weekend or early next week. pm me.

i am tidying up my hop garden and have por, cluster, & chinook to give away. These arn't just cuttings or rhizomes they are the main plant after I have chopped off what I need, only things are pick up only from portland vic, this weekend or early next week. pm me.

Pity you're so far away, I'd consider grabbing the Chinook despite not having any room in my hop yard to accommodate it. :lol:

View attachment 57266

That is a fantastic amount of growth for 1 rhizome in a season - :super: .

The only downside is you will need to keep the shovel handy and possibly a chainsaw if you are to keep the alien under control.

That is a fantastic amount of growth for 1 rhizome in a season - :super: .

The only downside is you will need to keep the shovel handy and possibly a chainsaw if you are to keep the alien under control.

doc i think i got this one off your mothership last year?

Latest posts

Back