2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My urban teepee set up:

P1030998_comp.jpg
I'm planning to tip them before they get all tangled at the top. It's a 5m square section from Stratco, slipped over a long star picket and resting on some bricks to keep it off the ground. Pretty stable now it's guyed by the ropes.

P1030994_comp.jpg
Perle's killing it. On the other ropes I have 2xCascade, 1xPOR and some kind called 'Red Earth'

Tastes like red earth? :eek:

How do they go on single strings? Its a nice set up to have one post with a number of plants around it but I'd be inclined to put more ropes around it and run some mesh up there. I'm after max yield though, unlike some of the novelty growers who are just doing it for fun.
Very neat for the back yard there Capsicum.

It's their first year so I'm just going to see how this goes for now. They're twining around the ropes very well. I was toying with the idea of having a few ropes for each plant, coming from the same peg with a spreader in between but might leave that for next season.

View attachment 57700

i use 2 x 16mm x 4.8 m furring channels screwed back to back for added strength then screwed to the ol fence post with a bit of telecom rope ! got a forth year chinnook sprouting atm. this is a simple but effective trellis , rope tied to side of pot . undo screws at harvest time and lower the hop mast ! plenty of farm animal poo in the pot works a treat . and plenty of water all season .

View attachment 57701

Here's my Willamette just starting to come up. Haven't put up any ropes for it yet.
hop___Copy.jpg

Tastes like red earth? :eek:
To quote Sandy Ross of Hopco Pty Ltd: Red Earth - name is derived from the red hues of cones in their early stage of development, (just out of burr stage) and a brewers flavour description of earthy and woody.

To quote Sandy Ross of Hopco Pty Ltd: Red Earth - name is derived from the red hues of cones in their early stage of development, (just out of burr stage) and a brewers flavour description of earthy and woody.

yeah it sounds pretty different to what I usually brew with, looking forward to trying it out if I get any cones!

Here is my small plantation. Only a temporary trellis with the hops this year as hopefully i will have a pergola for the to grow up by next season.

Hops2012.jpg

Willamette2012.jpg

Cascade2012.jpg

So one of my damn dogs stepped on my Victoria hop bine and snapped it. It's a first year planting and has only shot out 1 bine so far - it has since died and dropped off. Any ideas what I should do? I'm guessing just leave it be...

got some shoots out of my 2nd year hallertau rhizome. It looks like a bunch of cobblers mating...

My cascade hasn't fired yet but been hitting the area it lives in with the laundry water so hope that helps....

Damn chicken got in to the hops again. I had a four foot fence up around them. Now have an 8 foot fence. !!!!!!

Damn chicken got in to the hops again. I had a four foot fence up around them. Now have an 8 foot fence. !!!!!!

I'd suggest that an 8 foot fence may not keep your hops in. Some of mine are up to 11 feet already. :D

I have my hops planted in a bed of mixed black soil and red soil with cow manure mixed in. Is this sufficient or do hops need better drainage?

I have had several shoot out bines and continue to grow then after getting a few leaves they just die off.

Pretty embarrassing considering I am a farmer........................ hops are meant to be a weed - farmers are great at killing weeds

Kinda :icon_offtopic: but I wonder about chickens being the culprit.
I know heaps of people blame their chickens.
I have 3 chickens and 3 hop plants. Never have my hops been damaged and they are not protected at all.
Could it be something else? Do you live near bushland?
BTW I have half an acre that they roam freely and they are isa brown if that makes any difference? I would have thought 4 feet would be too high. Mine never seem to get more than 2 feet off the ground.

Just re-read this. Sounds harsh, but I am not trying to be, just offering my experience.

gallery_19421_895_453388.jpg

Finally had a chance to string up my hops.

3 x mt hood
2 x hersbucker
2 x hallertau
2 x goldings
2 x chinook
1 x cascade
1 x columbus
1 x cluster

Back