2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TETTNANG, 3rd year.

the last two years I had two plants in this 4 foot by 1.5 foot box. got growth to the top of my 5 metre posts but not alot of crop.
This winter i removed on plant (the weaker one) and cut a few rhizomes off the bigger one.

Its gone BANG!

Question is if I have 2 -3 bines on each string now with no sign of it stopping spouting new shoots. Should I cut these excess ones off or just let it go.
concerned that that have nowhere to grow up but on the string and too many on a string may end up with fungal growths, had the problem before.

EDIT Spelling:

3F68E7D4-A673-44A3-A6D5-606ED9568E25-315-000000255713C588_zps682920ec.jpg

9DF03B54-DA16-4474-8AB8-A28EAF0B7E75-315-0000002564A48418_zps09aa549d.jpg

64C2FDAF-AF5B-4EFF-ABA9-E1F6F84B095B-315-000000254CC24DB1_zps52c4b9f1.jpg

AAADB458-97B3-4785-BFCD-DDFBB855418F-315-000000255DB5E107_zps9d02f19a.jpg

BBCB0128-85CC-4B24-A2DD-70A80FF39637-315-0000002569436FAF_zpsd5dbeec4.jpg

Hi Charst,
You could let the excess shoots hang out of the box. They will catch more light and strengthen the plant.
If you want lots of cones I recommend liquid manure. Put 5 litres of sheep manure in a 20 litre bucket and fill with water. Let stand for a couple of days stirring occasionally. Mix 1 litre of this liquid manure in a 10 litre bucket of water and give to your hops 3 to 4 times a week. You can refill the 20 litre bucket with water a second time and get a bit more out of the manure. Its well worth the effort.

I paid for the 2 power poles on my land and they belong to me. I will not be making any non-reversible changes to said pole.

I will not be able to reach the power lines with my ladder, but I can reach high enough to attach a support for my trellis.

If the electrickery mob want to dispute my use of my property, I suggest they might be needing some legal representation.

Knowing QLD & NSW only, You may have paid for the poles, but they own them, they inspect poles regularly, while most people are working, today your hops may be there, but tomorrow they may not, they will be chopped away to a distance they have specified as safe from the pole itself and the lines. I know in both states for a fact. My place in QLD has 4 small palm tree's bout 2 metres or more when grown and shaped as they should look, but at once a year they now get butchered by the electricity company and nothing can be done about it, they used to issue a letter saying they were coming round, now I just notice when I come home from work and they've been attacked by a chainsaw.
In NSW its the same thing, they even removed my old wooden pole that looked good and had a big hook we used to tie the horses to when saddling,, and replaced it with a stupid looking steel one.

So before your plants get to big to move, i'd be moving them, before they do with a Stihl...

Shaun...

After 6 weeks in a pot under cover from frost, aided by a week of non sub-zero nights the first shoot has emerged,
South West Goldings on their way, now waiting anxiously for the rest.
May be some transplanting to their final position very soon.

By the way, Charst...you effin shit me....Im barely outta the dressing shed and your out there kicking goals...

After a week which finally contained some sunshine mine have just popped their heads above ground to have a look around (1st year Hallertau).

After looking around at everyone else's hops growth and trellis designs, I think I will have to modify my trellis and extend it upwards a little so looks like I'll be climbing that stupid Acacia tree in the backyard after all. :rolleyes: Maybe next year I'll have to remove a couple of trees and build something bigger towards the back of the block.

Fuggles.JPG

Fuggles

POR.JPG

POR (Tett Not pictured but about the same growth as the POR)

Cascade.JPG

Cascade

EKG.JPG

EKG

Victoria.JPG

Victoria

just waiting on the Chinook to show <_<

:icon_chickcheers:

my smurto chinook has been a slow starter as well. it has emerged and looks healthy but only 2 inches of height whereas a golding is about 3 foot up a stake. is this normal for a chinook? or my growing conditions i wonder.

Chinook is away and racing.

24EAAA0C-53A4-47C5-8478-730F12560CDF-1355-0000016826636F75.jpg

The Victoria is about half the size, due to it sending shoots to the edge of the planter before heading skyward.
Goldings is the slowest. 1 shoot, 2 pairs of tiny leaves.
At least it's not lodged in the intestinal tract of a brush turkey.

my smurto chinook has been a slow starter as well. it has emerged and looks healthy but only 2 inches of height whereas a golding is about 3 foot up a stake. is this normal for a chinook? or my growing conditions i wonder.

Not to worry. I now have many varieties growing and some are there but haven't opened up anything despite having dozens of nodes on the crown(stopped at an inch or two), whereas others, some first and some second year, are over a metre tall. Most are planted within a 10m distance. The slowest one produced a great load last year, and has a massive root system (2nd year).

2012_09_27_12.44.58.jpg

Advice needed as a first time Hops in Pots grower.

The bines from the Saaz Rhizome in front have plenty of shoots however they don't appear to be growing up as I thought they would. They seem to be growing really slow in bunches. Should I cut it back so only a couple of bines grow?

As you can see, the Chinnok in the pot behind is growing really well. There is the main shoot plus a smaller one starting to grow.

I was given the saaz rhizome already planted in the pot. It is 3rd year I think. I planted the chinook myself.

Any advice appreciated.

View attachment 57483

The bines from the Saaz Rhizome in front have plenty of shoots however they don't appear to be growing up as I thought they would. They seem to be growing really slow in bunches. Should I cut it back so only a couple of bines grow?

As you can see, the Chinnok in the pot behind is growing really well. There is the main shoot plus a smaller one starting to grow.

I was given the saaz rhizome already planted in the pot. It is 3rd year I think. I planted the chinook myself.

Any advice appreciated.

bigger pots.... MUCH bigger pots, they will get stunted (dwarfed perhaps) pretty quickly in those and probably wont retain much moisture at all.

View attachment 57483

Any advice appreciated.

Hey mate,

I had mine in 50Ltr pots last year, the 500mm diameter plastic ones from Bunnings IIRC. They were plenty big enough as they were only first year rhizomes. This year will tell the true tale. I dropped them off at my grandparents farm last weekend and they had 15-20 tips coming through on a couple of them so the pot size didn't seem to hinder development much.

I mulched them pretty heavily to help with the moisture issues that yob mentioned, and drilled holes through the rims to fix jute string for them to climb up. I didn't have a Saaz, nor have any that didn't shoot long bines off like your Saaz though so I'm no help there. My logic on the matter is that if the pot was too small it would shoot off only one or two though, not an entire patch (no science to back that claim up btw lol).

Perhaps it's just getting warmed up?

Some nice plantations!!

i plan on planting this sunday. its the latest i have done it. Too late?

I have cascade, haller and Chinook.. planted a week ago, this is what i found today:

photo_1.JPG

here it is multiplied x 100

photo_2.JPG

this is how i felt when i noticed my first ever shoot:

http://i.imgur.com/d7TBk.gif

here are the three behind the herb garden, building some structures for them to climb this weekend.

photo_3.JPG

I have cascade, haller and Chinook.. planted a week ago, this is what i found today:

here are the three behind the herb garden, building some structures for them to climb this weekend.

View attachment 57490

They are planted far too close together. Minimum 2m.

Unless you want to spend hours every day during the height of the growing season untangling them from each other.

You can't tell them apart from looking at either the leaves or the cones.

^ sound advice. I now have either two cascades, two chinooks, or one of each. Although this is mostly due to bush turkeys "shuffling" my rhizomes shortly after planting.

How i feel reading Smurto's ^ post:

Capture1.JPG

What im now thinking:

Capture2.JPG

in all seriousness though, this is my first attempt at growing hops, and if i get 10gms of each tree i'll still be happy. just having fun with the hobby is all. Cheers.

Just got around to planting the hops on Monday (well, got dad to since they'll be living at the parents place and he's a retired man who doesnt mind a bit of gardening)

Have cascade, columbus, chinook, victoria and willamette in seperate pots.

Ill drop over there after the long weekend to see how they're going and make sure they're in some decent sized pots. I know it's probably a little later to have been planted then I wanted, but I kept forgetting about them in the fridge...

Back