2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cluster hops 25 February 2012

Cluster_hops_25_Feb_2012_006.jpg

Final pick today bar the odd straggler. Totals WET for 2011/12 (currently drying in the garage on fly screens but I typically get down to 20% of wet weight)

POR (1st Year) - 320g (Aussie Megaswill Lager here we come, also use some for a Copers SA and a Aussie Dark Lager)
Chinook x 2 (2nd Year) - 445g (All-Chinook Harvest PA)
Goldings (2nd Year) - 55g (will be used in a New Belgium Fat Tire clone)
Super Alpha (1st Year) - 105g (Dunno........)
Mt Hood (2nd Year) - 115g (Euro Lager)

Not massive hauls but enough for a few brews, basically what I wanted the hops for. All-Chinook PA has just reached FG, tasting pretty good and not at all harsh like its reputation.

Stew

hops all dried and sealed and put in the freezer. from 2.8kg wet I have ended up with 570grams dry. first year cascade so i am pretty happy with that. cant wait to use them in my first brew. there are a few stragglers left on the vines so i might just put them in a glass with a brew and see how it goes. :icon_cheers:

i have just picked the last of my POR. Got 1.5kg wet all up and 420g dry.

Plant has been cut off at ground level and mulched via victor!

Goldings is producing a 2nd crop so it lives a bit longer...... but victor awaits... vroom vroom :p

One of my daughters and i laughed and said.... Nom Nom Nom Nom as the mower ate the hop plant :)

cheers

I need a "Wolfy" folder on my desktop (gushes and gets all fanboy)...

Been a strange season for my second year plants. Picked around 300g off cascade and 150g off POR a month or so ago then some leaves were turning yellow and dropping off. At the same time there were hundreds of spores that I didnt think would convert to cones. Turns out they were just taking their time. About to do third harvest this week. Last year POR outperformed the cascade, this year is the opposite. Looks like there will be another 1kg or so wet hops to take off each. The cones get bigger each harvest as well.

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

Only 161g of wet cones off my first year cascade, but very happy with what little cones I received! :D

cascade_cone.jpg

cascade_plant.jpg

Anyone know where I can buy some rhizomes? I'm after some centennial, cascade and saaz. Even one or all three would be good.

Harvested 2 and 1/2 of these buckets (around 2kg) of fresh Chinooks. Cascades and POR to come this weekend. The drying results already smell amazing.

photo.JPG

This thread makes me wanna moooove. B)

Does anyone know if hops will grow in the tropics? If so, are some varieties more suited than others? :huh: :huh:

Ta, Ivan.

To all those that have grown Saaz, do you find the flavour/aroma similar to Czech Saaz or more like one of it's southern hemisphere cousins (B, D, Summer or Southern Saaz)? I'm sure everyone will have slightly different results due to variations in terroir, but I'd like to see if there is a general flavour profile as I'd like to grow some.

Does anyone know if hops will grow in the tropics? If so, are some varieties more suited than others? :huh: :huh:
Hops require a certain number of daylight hours in order to grow (and flower) well (which you do not get in the tropics).
Some AHB members grow them in Brisbane with adequate results, and in other parts of the world they have been grown with artificial-light to simulate longer daylight hours.

Hops require a certain number of daylight hours in order to grow (and flower) well (which you do not get in the tropics).
Some AHB members grow them in Brisbane with adequate results, and in other parts of the world they have been grown with artificial-light to simulate longer daylight hours.

Thanks Wolfy, Seems that the 13 - 14 hours of light up here in summer might not be enough, not to mention the occosional heat wave here.

Cheers.

I recieved a saaz rhyzome recently and planted it in the ground over the weekend. it seems very healthy but obviously still young. i'm worried the roots will not have set properly by the time winter comes around. any hot tips? should i cut her back? (there's roughly 3 shoots about 15-20cm long) Maybe make up a small hot house environment around it once the weather cools?

any tips will be apretiated, my first hop plant.

cheers

-Phill

In Brisbane here and all 5 of my first year hops are still growing but no flowers yet. Not overly concerned yet but am hoping for something next season.

I have
3 x cascade
1 x POR
1 x Saaz

Back