2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would be nice to see your Cascade cones alongside something like a matchbox for comparison when you pick them Malted. My Cluster cones are nice and big too compared to size of plant. They put the Saaz to shame.

I have seen other folks grow cones bigger than mine; like I said, these are the biggest I have grown in my yard
Harvest_11_0_2012.jpg

Bruce, people also said hop plants don't (or won't) grow in SE QLD, but they do. People have grown them in Bundaberg. I don't really see why Geraldton would be that much different.

Have a go and if they fail then they fail. But you never know your luck and your home brew will thank you for it if you are successful..

Thanks for that ill def be looking into it some more then.

second harvest just done on first year cascades. 375grams today for a total of 502grams so far. I estimate there is at least 400 to 500 grams still left on the vines. should be ready to pick in a couple of weeks. some of the cones at the top of the vines are burnt slightly probably from the multiple 40degree plus days we get over here in summer. but the cones seem to be loaded with lapulin

DSC_0321.JPG

I have seen other folks grow cones bigger than mine; like I said, these are the biggest I have grown in my yard
View attachment 52302

Nice cones Sheldon Cooper. :lol:
My Cluster cones would be similar I reckon. They're very tight but some of the bracts are starting to open a little near the stem end as they ripen. I'll put photos up when I pick a few.
If anyone else wants to put up cone photos for comparison it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Harvest day today!

Hop1.jpg
Mt. Hood at the bottom, Saaz at the top - standard doorway flyscreen.

My hops must be a little different... they all matured at the same time no matter what size they were.

hop2.jpg
Mt.Hood top, Saaz bottom. If only they were all this big!

I know they'll dry out a bit, but how much can mature hops lose in weight??
The next shot has 50g piles when wet. I'll see what they weigh when dry...

hop3.jpg

Can't wait to brew with them!!

They smell exactly like they should: fresh 'n'sweet!! mmmm mmmmmmm!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matho you were right, mine took a belting. almost like the clouds fired shotguns down at everything in the yard. Damn hail.

Herbrucker on the trellis arch:

IMG_4648.jpg
IMG_4647.jpg
IMG_4650.jpg

One hop cone and one burr left out of about 10 cones/burrs before the storm.

Cascade, totally f---ed

IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4654.jpg

I hope there is enough life left in the vines to come back, going to leave them for a couple of days then give them a bit of seasol I think to see if they come back, they are weeds after all

G'day fellow hop growers,

Excuse me for dropping in this late in the season, but I'll try and throw up a few picks of this years hops. looking pretty good this year.

The first is from November, the other two are taken 4th Jan.
The PoR (2 yr), Tett (3 yrs) and Mt Hood (2 yrs) are doing well. The Goldings (1 yr) is a bit slow. Chinook (3 yrs) is doing well this year finally.
They are a bit packed in, but I'll try something else next year.

Matt

1_hops_4_Jan_2012.jpg

2_hops_4_Jan_2012.jpg

3_hops_4_Jan_2012.jpg

great looking hops mate, nice agapanthas out in front too dude :p

yeah, if it were my place, the aggies would be gone, but I have to use the space available.
As it turns out, the landlord is a ex-pat from Kent, so he is impressed with the hops.

Matho you were right, mine took a belting. almost like the clouds fired shotguns down at everything in the yard. Damn hail.

I hope there is enough life left in the vines to come back, going to leave them for a couple of days then give them a bit of seasol I think to see if they come back, they are weeds after all

Mine were devestated by snails over Christmas when I was away.
I gave them a good feed of osmocote with trace elements and now
new shoots are sprouting and also new growth is emerging from
the old bines as well.

I am at Mt Victoria. Feed them and let then go , you may be lucky.

Regards

Graeme

I got another great harvest off my Perle vine on the weekend. Estimate it'll dry out to around 50g
Also there's a whole new bunch of babies shooting through.

I do not have anywhere to grow hops so mine consisted as an experiment in pots to at least establish roots etc for planting next season.

[/size]

I setup a watering system that watered them for them to get through the heat of summer and just tied some string lines up to some palms in my yard. Very redneck!

We have just had huge winds in Adelaide and my cheap bunnings twine has snapped so it is time to harvest.

I am most happy with my Chinook. This was a tiny rhizome with only one bud and turned out the best.

During 38 degree weather, my dad was staying with me and fiddled with the water timer thinking it was for the lawn and as such, the hops did not get watered for 4 days. The Cascade suffered the most as it had the most foliage. A lot of it died off, especially down low. The plant in the round pot did not have a water reserve in the base and I lost 3/4 of that plant. I should still get enough for a batch.

IMG_9670.JPG

IMG_9671.JPG

IMG_9672.JPG

IMG_9673.JPG

This thread has got me super keen for next season. When should I be on the look out for rhizomes?

Back