2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah sorry mate. I gave some to a work mate for his dad's fathers day pressie. Pretty sure DrS can hook us up with some replacements!

Can you recall - did I repot some of the Victoria as well as planting one in the ground or was it another POR... mind blank here? I have a mystery hop with no labels... <_<

Nah couldn't say for sure. I think you left the Victoria pretty much in tact and put it back in the pot. But I'm not real sure because I think you may have left it till after I went. Hopefully you can identify it from the cones. :ph34r:
Does the Victoria pictured have any extra bines you can trim off around the base which I can use for propagating. A few bits to strike cuttings would be great but even just a small amount would be handy to start a tissue culture. :blink:

Oh hang on, you put the Vic in the ground did you? I don't think you wanted to chop it up because it wasn't overly large and hadn't done so well in the pot, so the one in the pot is something else, most likely POR. Hope that's correct and helps. :huh:

So how long til these plants should be flowering? both my saaz and mt hood are over 3 metres now....

My POR and cascade have almost full sized cones already, lots of yellow lupulin sp?. Earlier than last year possibly because I kept them in the ground. These are only 2nd year.

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

I already had the lattice as part of my house...... and i have a small yard with no real room for high trellaces...... so it just made sence.

They provide great natural shade for the kids to play out the back in summer too.

My wife looks at them and shakes her head :) but she also thinks its cool i get to make beer with my own home grown hops!

Does the Victoria pictured have any extra bines you can trim off around the base which I can use for propagating. A few bits to strike cuttings would be great but even just a small amount would be handy to start a tissue culture. :blink:

PM Sent mate! Yep plenty of shoots for you to grab for sure.

Anyone used Horse pooh on the hops ??? I have access to several bags of greenish horse pooh ... I am often sceptical on using green poohs as it tends to burn the crap out of the plants but having grown numerous Heliconias and Gingers in green crap before with awesome results I was just curious???

Or will th use of a good dumping of Dynamic lifter work ok ??

Im no green thumb. But when i was a kid my parents had horses, and our neighbour was an old retired man who use to go down to the paddock and shovel loads of manure into his wheel barrow. He would then throw it all in a mini rain water tank and mix it with water and stir it all up like a big broth. Let me tell you his garden was the the lushest garden ive ever seen. His choko vine would run over into our yard lol..

PS and i dont ever recall any smells coming from his place etc

Anyone used Horse pooh on the hops ??? I have access to several bags of greenish horse pooh ... I am often sceptical on using green poohs as it tends to burn the crap out of the plants but having grown numerous Heliconias and Gingers in green crap before with awesome results I was just curious???

Or will th use of a good dumping of Dynamic lifter work ok ??

I use dry horse poo on my hops over winter. 1 bag (~25kg horse feed bag) per plant after the plants have died back to below ground.

No need to add any fertiliser to hops, all they need is sun and water.

This is my chinook as of 2 days ago.... 1 plant on this side of the fence.
chinook1_06122011.jpg

Reverse view, 2 plants on this side.
chinook2_06122011.jpg

chinook5_06122011.jpg

And the Victoria - my favourite hop (think loqats)
victoria06122011.jpg

The Victoria grows much slower as it doesnt get direct sun until mid afternoon. It is also 2 years younger than the chinook.

here are the cascade cones after 7 days...do they get 'plumpier' like huskie's above? they feel dry like paper, and also some of the leaves have a little black tip on the end of them...is this any cause for concern?

Image0549.jpg

That Chinook is amazing!

My first year Chinooks started way slower than the others, but I've just seen they're the first to get some cones. Woo!

Meanwhile, my Saaz, Hersbrucker, and Cascade were all yellowing towards the bottom. The Hersbrucker's yellowing was kind of mottled. They all have evidence of being eaten, too.

I've added some more manure, and blood and bone with potash. I assume I won't see the yellowed leaves turn green again though? I am watching to ensure no more leaves yellow? It's a about 6 days since adding the fertilisers, and they've been washed in two or three times since. Debating how long I wait before adding some more straight potash. Thoughts?

That Chinook is amazing!

My first year Chinooks started way slower than the others, but I've just seen they're the first to get some cones. Woo!

Meanwhile, my Saaz, Hersbrucker, and Cascade were all yellowing towards the bottom. The Hersbrucker's yellowing was kind of mottled. They all have evidence of being eaten, too.

I've added some more manure, and blood and bone with potash. I assume I won't see the yellowed leaves turn green again though? I am watching to ensure no more leaves yellow? It's a about 6 days since adding the fertilisers, and they've been washed in two or three times since. Debating how long I wait before adding some more straight potash. Thoughts?

No more potash.

Be very careful with straight potash - I learnt that the hard way last year (burnt the poor beggars). 1 teaspoon at most is the subsequent advice I got. I'd tend to think ash from a fire would be a safer and softer option but someone else with horticultural experience should be able to clarify that.

Potash seemed to burn the lower leaves on my bines. Not such a bad thing as you can strip them off easily so that the bottom part of the bines don't have leaves and this apparently is good to reduce nasty insects getting up into your bines. I think a better proposition if you wanted to do that would be to use secateurs.

If the soil gets too dry I think the bottom leaves on the bines burn (go yellow and then brown off). The growing tips can also burn off too if the soil water is low or the ambient heat is high.

Mottled yellow could be something else such as a deficiency (or perhaps an overload?). You would think a deficiency would affect the whole plant? Just an unqualified hunch: I'd point the finger at loving them too much.

Edit: I had problems last year with catepillars chewing the shit out of the leaves. I squashed as many as I could find and eventually the bines were able to produce more leaves than the catepillars could eat. They seemed to dissapear once the weather warmed up. This year the catepillars have been at it again but I haven't been able to find any to squash them. I used a catepillar specific innoculant (from the big green shed) powder mixed with water and sprayed it on - seemed to do the trick and is not a poison to affect other things.

here are the cascade cones after 7 days...do they get 'plumpier' like huskie's above? they feel dry like paper, and also some of the leaves have a little black tip on the end of them...is this any cause for concern?

View attachment 50806

Some of those could be ready to pick have a look how much lupin is in them,I picked some of my cascade last week about 50g dried weight and some more are ready to pick now.

ratchie thats awesome...now all i gotta do is procure a taller ladder <_<

My Cascade plants are both starting to reach up to reach for the sky .. about 8 inches in height ... first year .. me thinks there will be no harvest in early Jan ... but maybe around Australia day ... :icon_chickcheers:

I replanted them both out of the spud bags I had them in (60kg of soil) and put them into the ground and have been like an unattentive lover to them ... suddenly they aregrowing ... I love weeds :)

in 36 hours the cones have grown a fair bit more, so i picked a couple to dissect - the smaller one is about the average size of most of them at the moment, but theres a colony of the bigger ones. when i cut them open they smelled more like a tomato plant than hops

i don't think worksafe would approve the method used to pick them - imagine homer's spice rack but way bigger :unsure:

Image0557__1_.jpg

Image0558__1_.jpg

Image0560__1_.jpg

PC101188__1_.jpg

Looking at the last photo: Are they both the same hop or are they two different types?

both are cascades from the same bine. i dried them out and they smell more like freshly dried 'bush leaf' than hops...maybe theres not much lupulin in them - yet

Looking at the last photo: Are they both the same hop or are they two different types?

in 36 hours the cones have grown a fair bit more, so i picked a couple to dissect - the smaller one is about the average size of most of them at the moment, but theres a colony of the bigger ones. when i cut them open they smelled more like a tomato plant than hops

i don't think worksafe would approve the method used to pick them - imagine homer's spice rack but way bigger :unsure:

View attachment 50824

View attachment 50825

View attachment 50826

View attachment 50827

I think they have a bit more growing to do. There is a bit of an art to knowing when to pick them (at which I am a very young student). Keep an eye on them, don't let the tips brown as I'm led to believe this means they have gone too far. Have a look at the disection pic here This one is ready.

EDIT:
Your larger ones are looking close though

Back