2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to train more than one bine up a string? A couple of weeks ago i precariously managed to string some twine up from the second floor of my house. Trained the bines onto the strings and all good. However, now more bines have sprung up and i dont have enough strings! So can i just run them up one of the strings that already has a bine, or will that sufficate the first one? Trying to avoid standing on the ladder on the pergola roof again...

Is it possible to train more than one bine up a string? A couple of weeks ago i precariously managed to string some twine up from the second floor of my house. Trained the bines onto the strings and all good. However, now more bines have sprung up and i dont have enough strings! So can i just run them up one of the strings that already has a bine, or will that sufficate the first one? Trying to avoid standing on the ladder on the pergola roof again...

have at it... I certainly have

:icon_cheers:

IMG_1549.jpg
These are the hops at my mate's place (he's in the photo to give some idea of height of plants). The plant on the left side of the photo is goldings. Right side is chinook. Starting to flower.

Ah, sweet. Thanks mate

I also have let a couple of bines go up the same string, also had one bine where the top snapped off and then the laterals both grew up the string.

I cant bear trimming them back and limiting the number, more the merrier I say

Wow it's amazing to see how FAST these things grow! I guess it's too late to plant rhizomes for this season now but I'm super keen to get some going next year - I have plenty of room to grow a few plants, they could go up to 3 meters height and probably 4 meters width to grow a few different ones..

however you could find someone with a growing plant and then take some cuttings and pot them on! That should lead in nicely to be able to plant out and go for hop yields the following year

however you could find someone with a growing plant and then take some cuttings and pot them on! That should lead in nicely to be able to plant out and go for hop yields the following year
I have actually, I just haven't had time to call and pick them up this week..

here are mine.... they have taken off and are going well.

Goldings, first year.

EKG1112011140x760.jpg

POR, 2nd year and going a bit slower. I think it will finnish off big though.

POR111201760x1140.jpg

Both are starting to show some random burs.

cheers

My 4th year Chinook rotted away to nothing in the ground after digging it up today. (it did sit out in the sun for a few months during winter and our house move!)

Oh well, Victoria has 6+ bines at over 4m in height now.

Must take some snaps.

My 2nd year Hersbruker and Sazz Hops are taking off this year

The Sazz was a bit weak last year but its taking over the garden this year, its already killed one tomato plant, i have to keep cutting the new shoots back, got about 10 climbing up he trellis and another 20 I keep having to cut back every few days.

I'll have plenty of hop rhizomes to share next year thats for sure, hit me up when the time comes and their yours free, just come and pick em up

Hoping for a bumper crop this year
:icon_drunk:

IMG_0572.JPG

DSCN4744.jpg
Victoria going apes.

DSCN4743.jpg
Mt Hood, POR, Goldings and one other (mind blank!)

My 4th year Chinook rotted away to nothing in the ground after digging it up today. (it did sit out in the sun for a few months during winter and our house move!)

Oh well, Victoria has 6+ bines at over 4m in height now.

Must take some snaps.

That may explain why my chinook hasn't emerged, seeing as how I aquired it from you. :lol:

Yeah sorry mate. I gave some to a work mate for his dad's fathers day pressie. Pretty sure DrS can hook us up with some replacements!

Can you recall - did I repot some of the Victoria as well as planting one in the ground or was it another POR... mind blank here? I have a mystery hop with no labels... <_<

That lattice work stuff looks effing great guys... very good on the eye...

:kooi:

need to keep the wife "THE BOSS" happy. She likes a lot of green. Took me ages to explain that hops dies over winter and then grows back.
She wanted something green with bright flowed 100% of the year.

Im sure there is a more efficient way to grow hops but this was my compromise, still im very happy with the result :D

Latest posts

Back