2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stupid Chinook is yet to emerge. <_<
:huh: I recommend going out to the yard today and have a good chat to your Chinook! Maybe it is frightened to enter the big bad world and needs some encouragement

yay, party time! the first one to reach the top is a cascade...so, what now?
Image0513.jpg

looks like the goldings wants to escape! here are 5 extra shoots
Image0514.jpg

This is my new hop frame that I have just finish. Starting from the left cascade,sazz,victoria,chinook,por and goldings x2
shitty picture from my phone.

3draws

Once the laterals grow you are going to have one hell of a time trying to keep them separate.

Even in pots i would have them 2+ metres apart.

gallery_9159_810_28247.jpg

The trellis is 2x 6m tall scrap windmill pipes = $0
Fixed to ground with 2x star pickets & wire =$0
Stainless steel wire between $30
Hay bale twine for the runners to climb up =$0

Cluster just hit the top wire. Chinook & POR halfway there

what now?
They will grow along the top wire.
i was thinking more like a party! it will make for interesting harvesting when they all intermingle up there <_<

is there a general rule as to where the most amount of cone growth comes from?

how are yours going ratchie?

how are yours going ratchie?

I found cones only from about 6' upwards.
Also found they don't seem to like horizontal as much as vertical.
Best yields were on the tallest plants

This is my new hop frame that I have just finish. Starting from the left cascade,sazz,victoria,chinook,por and goldings x2
shitty picture from my phone.

3draws

I think our sheds might be cousins. My flagpole trellis is about 5m above the lawn. Two plantings, Chinook on left and Victoria on right. Mine are 2 metres apart and that is probably too close. There are other plants in there too, that are not hops.

This year and last year, all the cones grew above the ~2m mark. Last year I trained them 2m up, then 2m horizontal. This year it's 4m straight up.

316028_10150368997385776_581230775_8631597_1460992355_n.jpg

Chinook right up the top of the 5 metre mast and throwing laterals. Happy days.

Other four plants are catching up, not as good a framework for them though.

Cluster
380908_10150368997675776_581230775_8631604_811719303_n.jpg

Tettnanger
379658_10150368997710776_581230775_8631605_1295853512_n.jpg

Goldings
315961_10150368997585776_581230775_8631602_1925832284_n.jpg

Cascade
313640_10150368997545776_581230775_8631601_26668468_n.jpg

Going to be good once the rose bushes are run and won and can be cut back!

Wish i had photo's to show off...my chinook took a while to get used to its new home in Vic but it's going off like a frog in a sock now...6-7 shoots all cruising up my wire mesh. Planted in a crate and theres even a shoot that has busted its way out the side of the box.
The mesh structure is probably not as high as it needs to be (3.5m High) but next season it will have a more permenent home with a better well thought out structure to hang out on.

Both mine are 2nd year plants. POR on the left and Cascade on the right. Going gangbusters, the POR always grows better than the cascade. Have given plenty of wire to run this year as all the cones tend to be at the top. Have some trained horizontally no worries. Going to start running them across the top of the kids cubby house roof now. Loving the Melbourne wet then warm weather.

DSC_0672.JPG

DSC_0671.JPG

DSC_0673.JPG

Mine are still taking it a bit easy, but cool temps etc etc, I'm not yet stressed.

Goldings is going fine:
EKG_screen_shot.png

Chinook is getting there:
Chinook_screen_shot.png

I've run out of upload space and am not clever enough to do anything extra haha.

Both mine are 2nd year plants. POR on the left and Cascade on the right. Going gangbusters, the POR always grows better than the cascade. Have given plenty of wire to run this year as all the cones tend to be at the top. Have some trained horizontally no worries. Going to start running them across the top of the kids cubby house roof now. Loving the Melbourne wet then warm weather.

View attachment 50384

View attachment 50383

View attachment 50385

Mine are still taking it a bit easy, but cool temps etc etc, I'm not yet stressed.

Goldings is going fine:
View attachment 50391

Chinook is getting there:
View attachment 50392

I've run out of upload space and am not clever enough to do anything extra haha.

:icon_drool2: show off's :icon_drool2:

I keep reminding myself that this is a game of patience... again and again I have to remind myself <_<

gallery_9159_810_28247.jpg

The trellis is 2x 6m tall scrap windmill pipes = $0
Fixed to ground with 2x star pickets & wire =$0
Stainless steel wire between $30
Hay bale twine for the runners to climb up =$0

Cluster just hit the top wire. Chinook & POR halfway there
Dude the elcheepo thing to do is use barbed wire across the top. That makes it easy to attach the downline baling twine without it being able to slide along the wire due to wind etc. That's what I did. :D

Dude the elcheepo thing to do is use barbed wire across the top. That makes it easy to attach the downline baling twine without it being able to slide along the wire due to wind etc. That's what I did. :D

Coulda. Have plenty on hand. The SS wire goes through a pulley & down 1 pole so it can all be lowered or tightened.
String is looped over wire twice & supports 2 bines each. The weight of the plants keep the line tight.

I think our sheds might be cousins. My flagpole trellis is about 5m above the lawn. Two plantings, Chinook on left and Victoria on right. Mine are 2 metres apart and that is probably too close. There are other plants in there too, that are not hops.

Not wrong there with the cousin shed, the Alum box tubing is 5.5m high from the ground and 400mm from the shed, it was bit of stretch and tippy toes to put string on the wire.

Back