2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good chance ill be there!! started the boil just then on my first beer in 6 months

You know, I've heard these hop dealies are awesome if you boil them in sugary water... strange use for them, I know.

@DrSmurto - 1kg would be a mere addition to Phillip's planned brew, wouldn't it? Go on - hourglass IPA; 100g FWH then 15g each minute for an hour. Damn I want to make that beer.

I've still got a 'mash hop pale' planned. Only mash hops allowed. Got a lot of cascade from 08 that I don't see myself using any time soon (sparingly I mean). Beersmith says that I would need 350 grams of cascade in the mash to bitter an APA at 1.050 gravity. I'm going to assume that its wrong and chuck in a half a kilo in the mash. I wonder what a decoction mash out would add to this?

Cheers
Phil

I've still got a 'mash hop pale' planned. Only mash hops allowed. Got a lot of cascade from 08 that I don't see myself using any time soon (sparingly I mean). Beersmith says that I would need 350 grams of cascade in the mash to bitter an APA at 1.050 gravity. I'm going to assume that its wrong and chuck in a half a kilo in the mash. I wonder what a decoction mash out would add to this?
That's one way to use up hops. If you're going to do a decoction mashout, I'm not 100% opposed to the idea. Interested in seeing if you can actually get the bitterness into the kettle.

I was tentative about mentioning people pulling out all the stops for the next swap, but some of this discussion is off the frickin chain! Lovin' it!

I don't have any stops to pull out, can I get those from LHBS?

I'm sure there's a bulk-buy going on that can't be announced publicly. :p

Spread the word around to anyone that missed out coming to the Xmas swap (or wussed out on their own)... I mean, no hurry, but do it sometime.

Well, I'd like to be in the swap list.

Now ... is there any reason why we have to limit it to 25 swappers?
Given success of last swap, and if people who couldn't help baling
out of the last one are able to make the next one, we could exceed
25 swappers.

So why not consider 30 swappers (but see how things are looking as
we get nearer, of course) - it's only an extra 6 bottles to bottle per
person - and 30 is much nearer the capacity of two milkcrates :)

Tom.

I've got some in my Brew shed that I am not using - was going to throw em out but you can have em for nix.

I'm thinking of a 10 min centennial ipa to swap and some cascade mash hop pale in the keg to bring along. I'm sure sure my arm could be twisted to let Smurto chuck some of his chinook flowers in my Randall :D

25 swappers.

Tom.
24 longnecks = 2 cases (volume) = 1 'single', 'standard' batch. As it was I forgot to scale my recipe and only *just* had enough for the total number of swappers.

I have no problem with making it more people, but swapping stubbies. That may not be everyone's opinion though. We'll see how we go once we have a good idea of numbers closer to the date.

25 swappers.

Tom.
batch size is the biggest concern, some people bottle from the keg and kegs hold around 19-20L that leaves no beer to test to see if its ok

25 swappers.

Tom.
My only issue with this is I would need to change my normal batch size, I max out at 28 bottles at a stretch and if I had to swap all of them there would be no QC on my swap beers.
No reason if there is enough interest that more swappers than the max number of beers can't work though. Swapper #1 gets beers 2-25, #2 gets beers 3- 26, #3 gets 4-27 etc etc. Swap MUST be done before too many beers have been consumed though.
Nige

I could do 30 bottles because I brew 35L batches. Phil & Smurto will be less than impressed with any more than the absolute minimum of bottling they can get away with though. I say 25, 1st in best dressed.

I would be surprised if we actually had more than 25 who wanted to be in the swap and had a beer ready to swap.

I would, however, be rather impressed though.

Im in, even going to stay for this one, evan after dark.

Regards Tony

I would be surprised if we actually had more than 25 who wanted to be in the swap and had a beer ready to swap.

I would, however, be rather impressed though.
We had 14 non-swappers signed up (not that many attended of course). I am more than willing to believe that there are at least 30 who could swap given the right preparation (like hearing about the March swap in November for example :ph34r: - no excuses for unpreparedness now!).

More than a few lurkers came out of the woodwork for the last swap. Encouragement can get a lot more.

We had 14 non-swappers signed up (not that many attended of course). I am more than willing to believe that there are at least 30 who could swap given the right preparation (like hearing about the March swap in November for example :ph34r: - no excuses for unpreparedness now!).

More than a few lurkers came out of the woodwork for the last swap. Encouragement can get a lot more.
QB,
Unfortunately you could give us the procrastinators 12 months notice and we they still wouldn't find time to brew. :rolleyes:
The more swappers the better I think but I still say each swapper should only need to supply 24 bottles.
Nige

Hi, You can put me on the list as a swapping. :icon_cheers:

The offer of longnecks still stands from the previous swap although I no longer have enough bottles to be able to cater to every swapper.

This is pretty cool that so many blokes are keen for this, has anyone (apart from Awesome Fury) even finished the beers from the last swap.

Back