2010 Esb Homebrew Challenge Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my first ever scoresheets back yesterday. The beers didn't set the world on fire but theres some very clear feedback that can be taken on board for next time. Scored an average of 31/50 for one of them and while that might be an embarrassing score for other brewers, I value the comments and mostly agree. Taking the tips received Im going to try the style again and see if I can bump up my score next time I enter. Once again, many thanks to those who made this event happen, I have the competition bug now so watch out in future when I aim to break my earlier scores :)

Received my first ever scoresheets back yesterday. The beers didn't set the world on fire but theres some very clear feedback that can be taken on board for next time. Scored an average of 31/50 for one of them and while that might be an embarrassing score for other brewers, I value the comments and mostly agree. Taking the tips received Im going to try the style again and see if I can bump up my score next time I enter. Once again, many thanks to those who made this event happen, I have the competition bug now so watch out in future when I aim to break my earlier scores :)

+1 from me, although my scores were a little lower.

PS - I am glad that the judges were as mystified about a flavour in the beer as I was - buggered if I could work out what was going on in there...!

+1 from me also. My very first competition entry and was not entirely comfortable with the beer category i entered into as i knew what was lacking for the style.

My scores were low and rightly so but insight into a more applicable category was given by all 3 judges which was fantastic to hear 3 consistent views and also that they liked the beer just that it was not to style.

Anyone that is contemplating entering a comp i say go for it because before this my only feedback came from family and friends so a qualified opinion was most welcome to track how i am going since its my 1st year brewing.

Thanks guys for your positive reactions It would seem Big ups for the BJCP standard of judging

I look forward to your entries next year

P1

+1 to the comments above. I also seemed to have been marked lower as I didn't stick to style. The beer I entered was not made to style from its inception and I debated entering it to till pretty much the moment I walked out of the drop point.
That said getting the feedback from the judges was great, 10 / 10 to you guys for getting the whole event together. Regardless on how your brew goes I find it refreshing to get some constructive feedback, rather than the scale of "hmm, its alright" (top marks) to "WTF this is shit" (no good) that your mates tend to give you.

I couldn't make this comp due to other family commitments.

How many entries where received. The published score only showed the places 1st 2nd 3rd not the spread of scores.

BOG

Did you get them yet, mate? Im interested to hear what scores others got especially from some of the newer brewers to the comeptition scene. Nowe that the event has well and truly past, I will go into more detail about my best scoring from the two beers entered. it was in the Aussie Ale category, and scored 91.5 overall. I thought it could have been better, it was too hoppy with P.O.Ringwood, the malt flavour was understated, it was all unbalanced, no finings, and I didnt even use Coopers yeast but the American Ale fermentis pack. I agreed with everything the judges said because thats what i would have said about the beer. I would have marked it much lower myself. Im so happy to think that I can tweak this recipe just a bit and try to squeeze an extra three points from each judge and crack the 100 mark!!!! :)

Well done jakub76 by the way, after your worrying post you won the category. Many congrats. Peter Wadley if you want a yeasty wheat beer next time you could pack the bottle upside down in a box so by the time it got to the comp fridge and was turned upright, it might be how you like it served.

Hopefully it's in the post today, I'm just impatient when waiting for Comp results. Oh well... nothing I can do but waaaaaaaaait.

Hopefully it's in the post today, I'm just impatient when waiting for Comp results. Oh well... nothing I can do but waaaaaaaaait.

I think your beers were that bad we had to burn the scoresheets to avoid infections .. :p

And if you get one with my name on it, IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!

The prize winners should not panic - I have not yet received the printed certificates (hopefully this evening) which means that I will post out next week.

Our overall winner has been in touch with Damon from The Lord to organise his brewday.

Cheers
P1

Don't pay any attention to FG it only encourages him :unsure:

Certificates mid next week they are currently in Nowra!

P1

Certificates mid next week they are currently in Nowra!

P1
Thanks for the update Korev. I know, I'm impatient.
Well done to you and the boys running this comp.
ps. I't's cool, I thought FG's call was a great one. :icon_cheers:

Update - The outstanding certs, gift certs and score sheets posted this afternoon.

Cheers
P1

Update - The outstanding certs, gift certs and score sheets posted this afternoon.

Cheers
P1
Got mine this arvo, Korev. How quick was that?!
Thanks heaps, the voucher will be used wisely and the certificate proudly displayed on the brauhaus door.

Cheers to the judges for the feedback. I was looking forward to this the most as I wanted to pick the faults... mainly a mildly hot alcohol.
Having one now and savouring it.
Thanks again.
Pete

Good one Pete, I didn't realize you were a winner. Looking at the results, I take it yours was the ESB.

If you entered other beers, what was your lowest overall score? If you want to share of course. Im pretty interested to know what other people got.

Good one Pete, I didn't realize you were a winner. Looking at the results, I take it yours was the ESB.

If you entered other beers, what was your lowest overall score? If you want to share of course. Im pretty interested to know what other people got.
Cheers Silo.
That was my only beer entered & my Scores were 34 - 35.5.
Just saw your previous post, 31 is a pretty good effort for a first comp! My first ever results were 25/50ish for a toucan stout... haha.
See if you can beat my lowest ever...14/50.
Pete

Got my results today, cheers.

I've been hanging out for the feedback and it was great to finally get the three perspectives. The $100 voucher was a pleasant surprise, thanks heaps!

Certificate is now proudly stuck on the brew fridge door, plenty room for more too - might have to work on that.

Latest posts

Back