2010 Esb Homebrew Challenge Cup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korev

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

It's that time again to get brewing for the inaugural 2010 ESB Homebrew Challenge Cup.

Something different this year - inspired by the football world cup that will be on mid year we have come up with a knockout competition.

Competition Entries Close: 2nd of July Judging: 17th July

BJCP Judges please mark your diary - this event is registered with the BJCP

We have Head to Head
GROUP A
England ESB v France Biere de Garde

GROUP B
Australia Sparkling Ale v USA American Pale Ale

GROUP C
Germany Weizen v Belgium Wit

GROUP D
Ireland Irish Red v Scotland Scottish 80/-

The highest scoring beer from the each of the Groups will advance to the Final Round - which of you will be the Challenge Cup winner?

Details in the attached

Entry forms will be available nearer the time

Cheers

P1

View attachment 100224_ESB_Challenge_CUPv3.pdf

Looks like a great comp, can't wait to enter. Have to start brewing a BdG soon.

I really like BdeG's. Malty but dry. A great reason to brew one this year. I'll post a recipe later if people want.

It is a similar beer to saison. It is a French farm house style so it has a fair bit of latitude. It certainly does not need the corked character. The BJCP style guides cover it well (either Australia or American). It does need some age so a good reason to brew soon. try something different, you wont be disappointed. We could have picked another style/country but what is the World Cup without the French having a hand in it?

Possibly relevant Whitelabs Platinum Strain releases to coincide:

Mar/Apr:
WLP009 Australian Ale
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen

May/Jun:
WLP072 French Ale
WLP410 Belgian Wit II

Peter

Very droll Barry - please don't upset the Irish Red Ale

P1

Looks like fun!
But who the hell brews Biere de Garde?

I brewed one accidentally, by all accounts. Was aiming for an ESB (Korev's Northdown recipe), but judging feedback from the last ESB comp suggested it was closer to a Biere de Garde. Laughed very hard when I saw ESB vs Biere de Garde this year (wondering if Barry had something to do with that...).

Used Wyeast 1098 (which is a monster), and suspect my hop utilisation wasn't what it should be. Might be a few useful starting points there.

With Easter Hols coming up it might be a good time to give this a bump.

Rgds,
P3

With Easter Hols coming up it might be a good time to give this a bump.

Rgds,
P3
Experimenting with weizens at present so should have something worth entering by comp time.... First comp, looking forward to the feedback. <_<

Another bump - good time to brew one of the styles that could do with some conditioning such as the Biere de Garde. Be warned I shall be conjuring an ESB at the end of April to combat the French menace.

P1

Another bump - good time to brew one of the styles that could do with some conditioning such as the Biere de Garde. Be warned I shall be conjuring an ESB at the end of April to combat the French menace.

P1

I'd like to say that I was going to lay down something French...........................but that would be shear fantasy.

As for my Wit.......weelll !

Ok, I'll sit down now.
Happy Easter Brewing

P3
Attempting to shake off pesky Victorians living in the past :)

Back