2009 Qld Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
being an adopted queenslander this case swap sounds belter. How do you do it? I just can not be bothered reading the hundreds of pages what is involved?

How does a swop work then?

So if there's 30 blokes at the swop, you make 30 bottles of your #1 export dogs bolloxs - then give one of your bottles to each of the other 29 blokes whilst drinking your 30th bottle...?

...or do you find the most attractive man at the swop and give him all your beer...

...just askin'

...for the newbs... :ph34r:
Kind of a) Although b might work, if you really think you'll find an attractive man at a QLD case swap...hang on, you said most attractive, well, that just depends on your personal standards I guess. I still wouldn't hang much hope on plan b...

Basically you bring along the beers and they get put in a corner and a bunch of people divide them up into piles. Due to issues in previous years it is now done before people are too pissed, mostly. You bring along x bottles for x people in the swap, including yourself, as beer and maths don't mix so the whole one less because you don't need a bottle of your beer thing didn't work too well for a few years there...

As for glass etc. Well, I personally also think the rule needs revisiting, but perhaps not this year as a) people will have already bottled and B) I'm not swapping this year, mainly due to similar reasons to Bonj's 1. reason so don't feel that I should have any input.

Every year the only disagreement is the actual Swapping of the Beers... :lol:
Thats why i wanted to piss the Beer swapping off all together..

I like the idea of experianced brewers swapping "Good" Allgrain Beers for K+K beers..
If it hadn't happened to me i probably would still be doing K+K.. there is something about taking a beer home and comparing "theirs" with "yours" and then tipping yours out.. :p

Unfortunatly, swapping can be viewed as an un-even trade with the Better brewers receiving no return for their hard work.

Personally, i would like to see a more organised way of making note of and personally rating the kegged Beers at the Swap day.
(i always get smashed and forget which ones i liked)

Perhaps a personal score sheet with a list of supplied Kegged Beers so you can make notes of what you like and get the recipe later.
Or perhaps some small printed bits of paper that you can grab one if you really like the beer?
(a bit like those "room for rent" sheets people make with the dozen or so rip off tabs at the bottom.)

I dunno really, but it looks like pretty much everyone has a reason to dislike the swapping part..
be it beacuse its glass, plastic, getting shit beer for good, cant brew in time, my beers not good enough or like me.. i HATE bottling.. i'd rather put 6 kegs of Beer on at the Swap day than fill up 24 bottles.

I have no real answer to the problem. Just dont go turning a fun day into an argument over nothing. ;)

Sqyre...

being an adopted queenslander this case swap sounds belter. How do you do it? I just can not be bothered reading the hundreds of pages what is involved?

You can put your name on the attendees list, pay Sqyre and turn up on the day, with some beer to share.
If you want to swap, make a batch, put your name on the swap list, pay Sqyre and turn up on the day with your beers to swap and some beer to share.

Watch out for Incider.

Easy as...

Not this ugly chestnut of a debate that "I wont swap my good AG beer for some K&K Beer"

FFS...HTFU guys <_<

I have had some beers from previous swaps that where K&K and where BETTER than some of the AG Beers....

What a pathetic debate....

Not this ugly chestnut of a debate that "I wont swap my good AG beer for some K&K Beer"

FFS...HTFU guys <_<

I have had some beers from previous swaps that where K&K and where BETTER than some of the AG Beers....

What a pathetic debate....

+1, it's a case swap, you take the diamonds with the coal, anyway if you don't like it don't be in it and you won't need to complain about it.
Why is it that complaining seems to be more popular now than encouraging <_< .
I remember the whole point of the case swap originally was to get feedback and help from other brewers, and hopefully to impress your Peers with a fine example of your beer.

Now that I've finished complaining :ph34r: I think I'd better shut up.
Rant over.
I'm just a bit pissed off I won't be attending.

Andrew

Guys I am going to have to pull out of the swapping part of the festivities. I am probably not going to be able to attend, definitely not able to lug beer to brissy for the swap.

Looking at flying down on the day as an alternative to driving, need to iron out some of the bugs from my plans

Paul

Sully and others not swapping, don't be afraid of the beer you brew. I'm far from an experienced brewer and I actually see the swap as an opportunity to get some feedback. The brew for the last QLD case swap was still in single digits for the number of AG brews that I'd ever completed, but I was still willing to give it a go. Not only did I receive some invaluable feedback but experienced a number of other brews to compare against, critique and learn from. They weren't all perfect (most were very good) but that didn't worry me in the slightest. I enjoy learning about beer and some were superb (Winkle's UXB and BribeG's Green Dragon were my favourites).

My case swap beer is about to start fermenting shortly, which I'm sure will turn out just fine. I'll be looking forward to the feedback and welcome any constructive criticism that will help improve my brewing.

+1 Daemon, Im not just brewing anything but something I have already got the best feedback from by other Brewers and to test the waters again with it and let some different brewers give their feedback on it aswell for some refinement of the beer if need be... ;)

Unfortunately, Im the only one that drinks my beer and think most are good/great, so its an opportunity for others to try and give feedback, maybe Ill put in my QABC beer that got 4th from 8 beers and that I also received a awesome comment on it from another brewer just in the last week, would be interesting to compare judging sheets from QABC with brewers own personal comments...

:icon_cheers: CB

P.S. Does anyone know if/when the judging sheets will be sent from QABC????

Every year the only disagreement is the actual Swapping of the Beers... :lol:
Thats why i wanted to piss the Beer swapping off all together..

I like the idea of experianced brewers swapping "Good" Allgrain Beers for K+K beers..
If it hadn't happened to me i probably would still be doing K+K.. there is something about taking a beer home and comparing "theirs" with "yours" and then tipping yours out.. :p

Unfortunatly, swapping can be viewed as an un-even trade with the Better brewers receiving no return for their hard work.

Personally, i would like to see a more organised way of making note of and personally rating the kegged Beers at the Swap day.
(i always get smashed and forget which ones i liked)

Perhaps a personal score sheet with a list of supplied Kegged Beers so you can make notes of what you like and get the recipe later.
Or perhaps some small printed bits of paper that you can grab one if you really like the beer?
(a bit like those "room for rent" sheets people make with the dozen or so rip off tabs at the bottom.)

I dunno really, but it looks like pretty much everyone has a reason to dislike the swapping part..
be it beacuse its glass, plastic, getting shit beer for good, cant brew in time, my beers not good enough or like me.. i HATE bottling.. i'd rather put 6 kegs of Beer on at the Swap day than fill up 24 bottles.

I have no real answer to the problem. Just dont go turning a fun day into an argument over nothing. ;)

Sqyre...

+1
I'll be the first to respond to this great idea Brucey :super: with the added suggestion that those without kegs bring along a dozen or so bottles of whatever individual beer they like to be rated also.
All that would be needed is to work out printed score sheets in "Landscape" (More room horizontally) with the names of all attending brewers in column 1 & with boxes they can tick when evaluating each beer but also leaving room for individual notes on the opposite side perhaps? Don't compete so have never seen an official scoring sheet but perhaps one of those could be used\modified?
Just my 2 cents worth.
Looks like paulwolf350 might be another needing a lift from & back to the airport?

TP

P.S. Does anyone know if/when the judging sheets will be sent from QABC????

CB - We had a delay with the printers getting the certificates printed, but they arrived here today - So just need to get sorted & posted.

Otherwise they are here (CraftBrewer Shop) for collection.

Cheers Ross

......and you wonder why people aren't fighting for swap places :ph34r:

+++

I'm in the fortunate position to swap beers with people every day of the week in the shop, so the actual swap has little interest - But really looking forward to tasting the offerings on the day - Getting excited :party:

Cheers Ross

WTF goes on here? Why am I getting highlighted and quoted? I think I put across a perfectly reasonable proposal that if I could use glass I'd be able to swap better or possibly even more batches of beer. Maybe I should have worderd it 'I may BE FORCED TO bring the TTL in a keg and swap the lesser beer'

I'll go out and spend some more money on some PET bottles by the looks of it.

I'm with Chappo just quietly. More people should get digits out and swap, I'd still attend if it was called the Qld Christmas Piss Up at Sqyre's though, I'm just trying go get into the spirit of the swap.

I did cut my foot on a broken bottle when I was 6 years old though, what am I thinking!!!!

CB - We had a delay with the printers getting the certificates printed, but they arrived here today - So just need to get sorted & posted.

Otherwise they are here (CraftBrewer Shop) for collection.

Cheers Ross

Cheers Ross.. ;)

:icon_cheers: CB

WTF goes on here? Why am I getting highlighted and quoted? I think I put across a perfectly reasonable proposal that if I could use glass I'd be able to swap better or possibly even more batches of beer. Maybe I should have worderd it 'I may BE FORCED TO bring the TTL in a keg and swap the lesser beer'

I'll go out and spend some more money on some PET bottles by the looks of it.

I'm with Chappo just quietly. More people should get digits out and swap, I'd still attend if it was called the Qld Christmas Piss Up at Sqyre's though, I'm just trying go get into the spirit of the swap.

I did cut my foot on a broken bottle when I was 6 years old though, what am I thinking!!!!

I seriously doubt your being targeted Henno, but you did have a sooky about having to get some plastic bottles, HTFU :p , get some plastic bottles you tight arse, start bottling and give your crappy beer a bit of time to condition and you'll have a pearler ;) .
BTW, I don't think I've ever thought one off your beers wasn't a great drop, the Wheat beer at the brew day was really nice.

Notice emoticons that denote my humerous frame of mind at the time of posting
Cheers
Andrew

I seriously doubt your being targeted Henno, but you did have a sooky about having to get some plastic bottles, HTFU :p , get some plastic bottles you tight arse, start bottling and give your crappy beer a bit of time to condition and you\'ll have a pearler.

Cheers
Andrew

Very insightful today Andrew :) - couldn\'t have said it better myself (& apparently I didn\'t :lol: )

didn\'t mean to offend Henno - Lets get back to :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers Ross

I read a post that portrays me in a negative light very, very carefully. In my response I never once said I thought I was being 'targetted' just asked why I was being quoted and highlighted in what to me made me look like a good reason not to swap. I also don't believe anything I have put up so far has been 'sooky'.

Again, I'm trying to support the swap part of the Christmas case swap and my humble opinion is simply that if somebody has hurt themselves on a broken bottle then I feel for them, I have the scar tissue on my hands, feet and head that says glass can be quite ouchy. Really who needs to HTFU though? Let's live on the wild side and use glass bottles like the rest of Australia. Personally I'm pretty good at putting in stitches. ;) :D

Wonder if I'm still welcome at this event now. :huh: :p

A BITE AT LAST! :lol:

If you are referring to me I've never been in the swap since the original at Woodhill (But lots of other swaps\sharing before & after using glass) when a lot of swappers cried, to quote you, "I want my mummy" after a bottle was DROPPED not overcarbed (I was one of the swap monitors that day) & ran to the nearest Woolies with $12.87 in their little hands.
Nope, wasn't referring to you... but if you wanna fight me mate.... he's outside :p
As I said above, I'm not in this swap, so I don't care what they use. I just object to people who arrive late to the party and question all the rules. I mean, I prefer my beer in glass too. But some king browns are not what they used to be after however many uses... some will just fail from fatigue. A large number of people have complained about giving away their king browns and getting plastic in return. Plenty of reasons for plastic in the swap... I guess they kind of do favour those that bottle from the keg though... much easier to test the beer before it even gets into the bottle with kegs. As I've said previously, I had a glass swap bottle fail in the middle of the night (I'm glad it didn't fail with any kids around... there was glass everywhere)... It was from a reputable experienced brewer (that I will not name), and the only one of that batch that failed, so my natural conclusion was a fatigued bottle. It happens. If you're willing to run the risk, however large or small it is, that's fine, but I'm not, so I don't take glass any more. I'm not going to fight about it like last year, because it is counter-productive.
I completely agree with you there mate & it's supposed to be their best effort? More reasons why a lot of us don't swap anymore.

I don't mind plastic bottles but glass is better which is why all the other states swap in glass as far as I am aware.
If a beer is brewed correctly there is no need to bottle in plastic as glass is perfectly safe unless you drop it of course which I personally never have in 15 years of brewing.

Looking forward to seeing you at the swap & sharing a beer or two. <smiley removed to comply with smiley quota>
peace-0010.gif

TP
:icon_chickcheers: bring on the beer! I'll be brewing my keg contribution this week sometime... not sure what yet... possibly my award winning (2nd at the Ipswich Show... as if it doesn't get more prestigious than that! :lol: ) Santa Anna Pale Ale.

I read a post that portrays me in a negative light very, very carefully. In my response I never once said I thought I was being 'targetted' just asked why I was being quoted and highlighted in what to me made me look like a good reason not to swap. I also don't believe anything I have put up so far has been 'sooky'.

Again, I'm trying to support the swap part of the Christmas case swap and my humble opinion is simply that if somebody has hurt themselves on a broken bottle then I feel for them, I have the scar tissue on my hands, feet and head that says glass can be quite ouchy. Really who needs to HTFU though? Let's live on the wild side and use glass bottles like the rest of Australia. Personally I'm pretty good at putting in stitches.

Gees come on mate, have a bit of fun and take the comments as intended, in fun. And the whole point is, there is no reason "not to swap".
Still can't see where you personally was portrayed in a negative way, it was just general comments directed generally at people complaining about the rules of the swap.
End of story, sorry if I offended, it was intended as light ribbing between friends.
Wonder if my beers will make it down now :huh: :p

Andrew

Again, I'm trying to support the swap part of the Christmas case swap and my humble opinion is simply that if somebody has hurt themselves on a broken bottle then I feel for them, I have the scar tissue on my hands, feet and head that says glass can be quite ouchy. Really who needs to HTFU though? Let's live on the wild side and use glass bottles like the rest of Australia. Personally I'm pretty good at putting in stitches. ;) :D

Of course you're still welcome, mate! I don't think your post should have been lumped in with that awful comment from scoundrel_rogue...

Perhaps the glass issue does need to be revisited.... In the highlighted post you raised a valid point... that being forced to use plastic means that you may end up being forced to contribute a lesser beer, or not at all.

I remmember the first Xmas swap meet in Sqyres Dog House......

And It was actually a swap meet....as in , most of us came with beers to swap and take home in bottles...

God damn Frogmans missus drove like a demon ...and i nearly got lost....Not to mention the bloody Toll on the Motorway :unsure:

Back