2009 Qld Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What the **** is strong bread flour?
stagga.
Also known as Bakers Flour, or bread flour. It can be had at the supermarket in 1kg boxes or larger 5kg/10kg bags. The 1kg boxes work well as do the 5kg bags. Strong bread flour is made from harder wheats with higher gluten content. It is the gluten that makes the flour stronger. Weaker flour is what you want for cakes. Normal plain flour aims to be a compromise between the two, but I have had better success with bread by using the proper strong flour.

God explanation, thanks.
I`d never heard of it before.

stagga.

The supermarkets have introduced it widely, forget the brand (Anchor????). Until now major brands came in self raising and plain, but now it's further sub divided into "scone and cake flour" and "bread and pizza flour". Interesting because flour was in serious decline until recently but now with more people cooking at home once again...... halleluyia :icon_cheers:

The QLDers (and adopted QLDers among us, myself and Stu included!) should bring the whole shebang together, and not only celebrate great beers, but great Beer People#!

and let esteemed interstate visitors just get on and make fools of ourselves, as usual !!

Since Stu has the oysters covered, I will bring some smoked fish which needs no further cooking and is easy to eat later in the night, especially when we break out the rauchbier ! Don't swallow the bones though !

Probably going to need 10 Doz oysters this time... :icon_drool2:

Fresh local clarence river school prawns are $12kg :super: They dont come much better anyware in Oz

InCider are you bringing the late night snacks this year? My ar*ehole said 3 were too many last time :rolleyes: .

Pizza dough is really easy. 500g of flour will do 2 pizzas. My recipe is:

500g strong bread flour
2 level tsp salt
2 level tsp dry active yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
~350ml tepid water

I'm happy to help with the dough too if you'd like.

From an old bakers perspective this is spot on. To be really pedantic the recipe is - for every Kg of flour by weight 2% salt 2% fat/oil 2% yeast (compressed yeast that is. 2% dry yeast will really get it hopping), well done Bonj :super:

Screwy

Probably going to need 10 Doz oysters this time... :icon_drool2:

Fresh local clarence river school prawns are $12kg :super: They dont come much better anyware in Oz

:icon_drool2: Clarence River oysters and prawns.... Used to make the trek every year the to fish co-op at Yamba for our share. Haven't done it in years so this will be a real treat for me Stu, Cheers :icon_cheers: .

:icon_drool2: Clarence River oysters and prawns.... Used to make the trek every year the to fish co-op at Yamba for our share. Haven't done it in years so this will be a real treat for me Stu, Cheers :icon_cheers: .

A bit of a hijack.... Stu my parents live in Yamba we will be there in April .... catching up for some prawns and homebrew would be good...

From an old bakers perspective this is spot on. To be really pedantic the recipe is - for every Kg of flour by weight 2% salt 2% fat/oil 2% yeast (compressed yeast that is. 2% dry yeast will really get it hopping), well done Bonj :super:

Screwy
Cheers Screwy!

I picked up some fresh yeast today. I'd use 15g of fresh yeast or half the amount of dried yeast recommended on the packet.

Nobody has mentioned brekky yet for the sleepers over. I bought some snags to Batz' place once that we had for breakfast that seem to be appreciated. I am working on a new recipe at the moment and could bring 5kg to contribute to the morning after. Dinner seems pretty sussed.

I bought some snags to Batz' place once that we had for breakfast that seem to be appreciated.

I found one under the barby this morning Henno, it was still ok....I think Banjo may have rolled on it but <_<

The new recipe I'm working on is to try and get that Banjo flavour. Bring it along and we'll compare it to my new batch.

Nobody has mentioned brekky yet for the sleepers over. I bought some snags to Batz' place once that we had for breakfast that seem to be appreciated. I am working on a new recipe at the moment and could bring 5kg to contribute to the morning after. Dinner seems pretty sussed.

If you want to bring some snaggs thats cool Henno..

I was looking pretty much the same as the previous years...
Big Breaky fry up consists of Eggs, Bacon, snags, Hashbrowns, Buttered Herbed Mushrooms, Fried Onion with fresh Garlic, Seasoned Fried Tomatoes with Melted Parmean, Fried up left over Pork and any other Breaky delicacy's that people bring..
Last year we also had some Venison (Deer) and Campbell Brought a truck load of Black Pudding, there was something else too..My memory is a bit blurry. :unsure:

I have also worked out that the smoker *should* be able to Cook 15kgs of Ribs in one hit.. Taking approx. 6 hours...
I will time them to come out about an hour before the pig where they can be kept warm while we Cook a dozen or so Pizzas...

Then we can have a nice big SMORGASBOARD.. and then i can down tools and get pissed... :beerbang:

Scoundrelrogue - At this stage it looks like we are only going to need 15kg's of Ribs for the swap.. I can store them frozen here. If they only come in 10 kg boxes i will buy the other 5kg and keep it as backup for swap day..just incase i can fit more in..

Sqyre... :icon_cheers:

Not sure where we got to with the pig pricing - Just stopped by Top Gun Butchers at Underwood & their 35kg pigs I'm told vary fron $220 to $250.

Cheers Ross

P.S. Sqyre, those ribs look awesome mate :icon_drool2:

I was looking pretty much the same as the previous years...
Big Breaky fry up consists of Eggs, Bacon, snags, Hashbrowns, Buttered Herbed Mushrooms, Fried Onion with fresh Garlic, Seasoned Fried Tomatoes with Melted Parmean, Fried up left over Pork and any other Breaky delicacy's that people bring..
Last year we also had some Venison (Deer) and Campbell Brought a truck load of Black Pudding, there was something else too..My memory is a bit blurry. :unsure:

Sqyre... :icon_cheers:

What!! :eek: No Farmers Union Ice Coffee. Someone please tell me it is available there somehwhere :( the strong is to die for.

BYB

coffee.jpg

Not sure where we got to with the pig pricing - Just stopped by Top Gun Butchers at Underwood & their 35kg pigs I'm told vary fron $220 to $250.

Cheers Ross

P.S. Sqyre, those ribs look awesome mate :icon_drool2:

Thanks Rossco!! :icon_cheers:

Yeh we are not going to worry too much a bout the pig untill about 2-3 weeks out....
The way Pork prices go up and down there is not point getting prices untill then..
We will allocate $250-300 for getting a 25-30 kg pig..

Cheer's Brucey..

Latest posts

Back