2009 Qld Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as the actress said to the bishop. (bom bom)

I'd see the ribs as a extra rather than the main meal Sqyre, but I'll be happy to come around and help you experiment with ribs and internal heat gradients in the smoker. Special price for advanced bookings perhaps? Maybe get a few people to help organise the food via email, catering for 40+ can be a PITA as I well know. Just a few hungover thoughts.
Can't have the QLD Swap thread going off topic and talking about beer now can we.

Perry, i was hoping to balance out the Pig a bit as the Pig gets bigger each year it also get more difficult to cook in the alloted time...
i already have to have the fire started by about 4 am to get the coals right to start cooking at 5.30ish...
I'm not real keen on getting up at 2am to tend to a fire..
Last year was a 37kg Pig and it was a pain to cook.. really had crank the heat up towards the end not to mention the spit was struggling...
I would prefer to drop back to a 25-30kg Pig and replace part of it with something else ie - ribs or similar..

Plus if i am going to be operating 2 cookers at once i want to make them both relatively "easy" to maintain...

The other option i thought of to give a bit more variety than Pork products was Wood Smoked Pizzas...
in theory i could cook about 6-8 at a time and they only take about 20-30 minutes per batch.. and work out alot cheaper and a lot easier than Ribs..
(and they are frigin NICE!!!)

I suppose i could cook a load of ribs say 10kg during the arvo (takes about 4 hours) then once they come out have say a dozen or so Pizzas ready to go in...
More variety, caters to anyone who doesn't Dig on Swine..
Be nice have a choice of Pig, Ribs, Pizza, with a Pile of Potato Bake, Gravey and it his honour.. The Zizzle Salad..
Not to mention a pot of Chili-con-carne or something would be a nice offset...

Hmmmm.. i'm kinda liking this idea..

What do you guys reckon???

Sqyre.. :huh:

The other option i thought of to give a bit more variety than Pork products was Wood Smoked Pizzas...
in theory i could cook about 6-8 at a time and they only take about 20-30 minutes per batch.. and work out alot cheaper and a lot easier than Ribs..

I suppose i could cook a load of ribs say 10kg during the arvo (takes about 4 hours) then once they come out have say a dozen or so Pizzas ready to go in...
Be nice have a choice of Pig, Ribs, Pizza, with a Pile of Potato Bake, Gravey and it his honour.. The Zizzle Salad..

Hmmm, maybe trickle feed us pizzas early-ish and you won't need a big pig or loads of ribs (less work = more time for drinkin)

Perry, i was hoping to balance out the Pig a bit as the Pig gets bigger each year it also get more difficult to cook in the alloted time...
i already have to have the fire started by about 4 am to get the coals right to start cooking at 5.30ish...
Last year was a 37kg Pig and it was a pain to cook.. really had crank the heat up towards the end not to mention the spit was struggling...
I would prefer to drop back to a 25-30kg Pig and replace part of it with something else ie - ribs or similar..

Plus if i am going to be operating 2 cookers at once i want to make them both relatively "easy" to maintain...

I reckon you're spot on there Brucie. You do a such great job organising this every year that it's starting to look bigger than Ben Hur & I for one think the above idea is great. You're meant to enjoy the swap too, not be running around at all hours wearing yourself down to a frazzle to keep the masses happy. :icon_cheers:

TP

Although not on the same scale, I have hosted a swap before. A lot of friggin work. Do you have any hired guns to lend a hand. Sounds like a lot of work on your behalf. Will you actually get time to enjoy as well?

BYB

You shouldn't have to be out of pocket just because your organising things, I'm sure most of us will be able to pay ASAP. Just send through your bank account details and I'll get SWMBO to transfer it tonight.

Looks like most Guys are happy to throw money into the pot early.. thats cool thanks guys :super:
But i really need to work out how I am doing the food first...
Renae has gone up to the Butchers to get some ribs so i can work out how much i can fit comfortably in the smoker...
Like isad no point buying 40kg if i can only do 10kg comfortably..
If thats the case we wont need take any money from anyone just yet...

So in a nutshell i'm looking at-
25-30kg Spit Pig
1 Batch of Ribs.. (whatever fits in the smoker)
say 16 Wood smoked pizzas.. More is easy...
And say 10-15 kg's of Prawns (probably more depending what funds are left... I'm hoping Ned can bring some . ;) ).

I reckon that with all the other chips ,dips, sausages, cheeses, Pickled sheeps Vaginas, etc.. there should be enough to satisfy say 50 people..

Sqyre...

Pickled sheeps Vaginas
Self saucing :ph34r:
Looks sensible, you just need a semi-non drinker to help (ie do all the work).
I think Stu was bringing oysters as well mate.

I deleted my last Post about the Cheap Ribs...
He quoted a 10kg box...

All good...

Has anyone ever had Sow ribs???

Sqyre..

So in a nutshell i'm looking at-
25-30kg Spit Pig
1 Batch of Ribs.. (whatever fits in the smoker)
say 16 Wood smoked pizzas.. More is easy...
And say 10-15 kg's of Prawns (probably more depending what funds are left... I'm hoping Ned can bring some . ;) ).
Pickled sheeps Vaginas ( More commenly known as Pickled Twats )

Sqyre...

Looks like a good line up buddy ,, I agree on the pig size thing that sucker last year was a real barsted to hold while you stuffed your pole up its ass. I,m planning on the same as last year , come down wednessday, meet Renae on the hwy to unload ;) , out to chinchilla for a couple then see you and our family friday ..

Cheers

edit my dyslexia

Watch out Gavo ,, keep your eyes open for the Getz in your driveway Thursday arvo mate ..

Sqyre

Will you need any wood...I can supply heaps of Ironbark if you need any

Sorry STU!! i musta missed your post...
I am going to need a load of firewood either way unless your going to rock up about 4am... or the night before..
Otherwise its probably not worth your trouble...
Although the wood i get will probably someones shity old gum that fell over in the last storm..

Unless you want to bring a few small logs for the smoker???
That would be cool...

Sqyre.. ;)

Prob wont get there untill mid day, as I will have to go and pick up the oysters first, unless I get them the night before and leave early, which should land me at Woodhill before 10am. Either way I will bring some Ironbark. Have you got a chainsaw..???

If you need help doing pizza,dough etc my hand is up. :super:

Maybe if we share the food prep load, life will be a lot easier

Prob wont get there untill mid day, as I will have to go and pick up the oysters first, unless I get them the night before and leave early, which should land me at Woodhill before 10am. Either way I will bring some Ironbark. Have you got a chainsaw..???

If you need help doing pizza,dough etc my hand is up. :super:

Maybe if we share the food prep load, life will be a lot easier

She's right Stu, leave your wood at home.. we will have plenty here..
As for the pizzas, i think Renae is looking at a few Pizza dough recipies to try..
Otherwise we use the Pocket bread from coles for the base.. it turns really crispy and nice..

Sqyre.. ;)

I've got a simple but tasty dough recipe Sqyre. PM if you want it.

Cheers

Pizza dough is really easy. 500g of flour will do 2 pizzas. My recipe is:

500g strong bread flour
2 level tsp salt
2 level tsp dry active yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
~350ml tepid water

I'm happy to help with the dough too if you'd like.

Latest posts

Back