2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon we are making conditions ideal for the pricks by putting down mulch everywhere

Totally agree. They hardly have to go anywhere to find daytime shelter with all the mulch around.

As for trapping them, I was using some BBQ-fat-covered rolled-up newspaper for a while, and catching a dozen per night, but it didn't seem to be making any real difference to their numbers, they're in such plague proportions. I swear if it wasn't going to end up in my beer, I'd be spraying the crap out of them with some serious insecticide.

...so much for hop bines being like a weed - I've never seen bugs eat weeds like this before!

The pics arent great but
This trap has been here for a week or more. Must have several hundred wigs dead in it and still they come. This was oil from a bottle of dried tomatoes
004.JPG

This is a new one I just put down near our front window tonight after work. Several deaths already and they are cueing up

007.JPG

Hi

A question for all you experience growers, the tip of one of my bines has broken off and it appears not to be growing any longer. Should I cut this section off and use one of the new shoots and start another or will it continue growing up the string?

Cheers

Phil

Hi

A question for all you experience growers, the tip of one of my bines has broken off and it appears not to be growing any longer. Should I cut this section off and use one of the new shoots and start another or will it continue growing up the string?

Cheers

Phil

Same thing happened to me. I just left it on the strong, and new laterals started shooting at the bottom of the bine, which I strung up around the existing bine including the dead part. The dead part just gives them something else to cling on to.

I'd almost go as far as saying damaging my original bine was the best thing for the hop plant. It's so thick now, with 4 different shoots curling around each other, heaps of leaves, looking very healthy and each lateral growing 6 inches a day.

Yep. A few threads here about 'tipping' bines. Some say trimming the top off at the right stage actually leads to better yields. Haven't tried it myself.

Hopper.

thats good to know as my little boy stepped on my hop plant yesterday and snapped of one bine

For the guys using Pyrethrum it is UV sensitive so it is best to spray early morning and late evening for best results.

Lachlan

Same thing happened to me. I just left it on the strong, and new laterals started shooting at the bottom of the bine, which I strung up around the existing bine including the dead part. The dead part just gives them something else to cling on to.

I'd almost go as far as saying damaging my original bine was the best thing for the hop plant. It's so thick now, with 4 different shoots curling around each other, heaps of leaves, looking very healthy and each lateral growing 6 inches a day.

Thanks for your advice.

It has started shooting new laterals so I will do as suggested.

Thanks

Phil

Here are some photos of my crop.. I have got chinook, goldings, and Hallertau going strong.. With some cascade shoots poking their heads above ground.

DSC02183.JPG

Hops.JPG

DSC02187.JPG

DSC02185.JPG

Here are some photos of my crop.. I have got chinook, goldings, and Hallertau going strong.. With some cascade shoots poking their heads above ground.

How close have you planted your hops?

Any closer than 2m and you are going to get yourself into trouble as they spread out. I have shoots coming up more than 1m from the rhizomes!

EDIT - looking nice and healthy though!

I found some culprits eating some of my hop leaves.... caterpillars! They are exactly the same colour as the green leaves, hence just about impossible to detect!

Interestingly though the POR's of mine are hardly affected - a more hardy Aussie plant could be the factor?

In any case I gave all plants a thorough grooming last night, and also trimmed all lower leaves to aid in circulation similar to Dr S'.

Please keep a look out on your plants, one caterpillar can r@pe and pillage a single bine in a short period of time!

How close have you planted your hops?

Any closer than 2m and you are going to get yourself into trouble as they spread out. I have shoots coming up more than 1m from the rhizomes!

EDIT - looking nice and healthy though!

They are pretty close together, but the rhizomes were only tiny when I got them and I am only expecting 1-2 shoots from each of them this year.
I plan on digging them up and expanding into a garden on the other side of the gate next year..

Hopefully the roots don't get tangled up like the christmas lights seem to throughout the year <_<

My hops have got a few little black ants on them. They don't seem to be doing anything to it though. I guess they're patrolling the hops for me and eating anything stray and fighting off any would be attackers. Go ants! I hope they don't eat the flowers though when it starts to flower.

I've had a few leaf issues recently I thought I'd run past this forum.

I've had leaf discolouration of a couple of different types.

Hallertau%20Mittelfruh%2025112009%20leaf%20discolouration.JPG

The brown on the outer edges of the bottom leaves has stopped, and I put that down to poor nutrition, possibly from watering with washing machine grey water once. It really knocked that plant for six and it only started recovering after some Seasol.

The newer leaves have a bit of yellow/brown happening in the middle of the leaf, as you can see on the leaves on the left above, or clearer here:

Saaz%2025112009%20leaf%20discolouration.JPG

Any idea what that could be? I've watered regularly, with Seasol every couple of weeks, and mixed some extra Osmocote into the soil a week ago.

Finally, in the last few days I've noticed some black spots:

Hallertau%20Mittelfruh%2025112009%20black%20spots.JPG

From what I've found in google searches it seems to be some kind of mould. What should I do?

Well, enough complaining. Life's still good, and beer's still great. :D

Looks like hops and washing machine grey water don't mix...there's been a few pics of edge burning of leaves after grey water was applied.

Not sure of the discoloration in the second pic, but the black spots, are they raised and only on one side? If so they are probably eggs or bugs of some description.

Worried about the wind in the arvos! My hops are loving the heat and have made it to the top of my 3 meter trellis but due to them being out in the open in full sun they are getting blown around hard.

What you guys reckon ?

I'm watching the leaves blow all over the place atm though they seem to be standing up to it.

I can see the tips of mine popping out of the rampit grape vines that are loving all the rain we are getting this year.
If it does flower and it should being a second year plant, I hope I can find all the flowers.
:huh:

My Chinook is going nicely on the main bine. Others are very slowly trying to catch up. Signs of flowers forming up top on this main bine only.
DSCN3541.JPG

Following on from when my bine ends all got burnt off in the 43 degree day, the side shoots immediately below have since grown - so nothing lost apart from the continued good growth of the main bine. From all appearances, it could even be better with two main shoots heading up!

Here is an example... I have manually wrapped the side shoots around the twine.
DSCN3542.JPG

Latest posts

Back