2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was thinking the other day about seasol as it does have potasium in it that promotes flowering, it might just be the reason for the early flowering. people that only use seasol would be increasing the potasium in the soil making the plant want to flower and people that use nitrogen based fertiliser would be promoting leaf growth. so maybe we should use powerfeed in the early phase of growth and then switch to seasol later to get more flowers.

just a thought could be wrong

cheer's matho

Thought I'd add some pics to this thread.

207ssya.jpg

Left to right, Chinook, Tettnang, P.O.R.

2mds6t1.jpg

Closer / higher shot of the Chinook. There's about 6 laterals in total all climbing over each other, and I've split them into two semi-horizontal bits of twine.

1675dar.jpg

Close up (bad pic I know) of some Tettnang flowers. Well I presume they're flowers anyway.

29vmqsk.jpg

Random shot when I was trying to take a photo of flowers.

I thought this was nice, one of the tendrils of chinook working its way up.

DSC_1328.JPG

I had some trouble with mine. The chinook just about died for some reason after its first big growth spurt up to 500mm or so. After some sheep manure and adjustments to the retic it is now fighting back and the green bits are outnumbering the brown.

I have a tettnang too but that just sits there, doesn't seem to have much ambition.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or not but mine have grown like weeds since I planted them. They had all broken the soil after just a couple of days. I think maybe growing them in pots is easier for the first year? I used brand new potting mix and never have had a brown leaf. I think there's plenty of fertiliser in the potting mix. Also I only water probably twice a week.

Went up to inspect my Chinook last night and, man alive ;) I've got hop cones!
How long before I can harvest, do you think (i.e. before they start to brown off a bit on the bottom)?
Very happy! :icon_cheers:

chinook_cones1.jpg

chinook_cones2.jpg

hows the mt hood going tun of grunt?

hows the mt hood going tun of grunt?

Hi Barls

Below is a shot of my hop garden, with the Chinook now about 4 metres tall (LHS - cherry tomato is the short thing at far LHS). The Mt Hood is only a bit shorter and is going gangbusters. Unfortunately, it's got itself wrapped up in the Chinook and so I spent quite a bit of time last night tracing it in and around the Chinook bines. So, for it's first year it has done terrifically well. I'm hopeful of some cones off of that too! Thanks to you for an excellent cutting! :)

ToG

hops_november.jpg

I thought this was nice, one of the tendrils of chinook working its way up.

DSC_1328.JPG

I had some trouble with mine. The chinook just about died for some reason after its first big growth spurt up to 500mm or so. After some sheep manure and adjustments to the retic it is now fighting back and the green bits are outnumbering the brown.

I have a tettnang too but that just sits there, doesn't seem to have much ambition.

My Tettnang was the first rhizome up this season, but has since been dragged off by the Chinook (2nd year rhizome) and my Mt Hood. But over the last week or so, the Tettnang has put on nearly a metre of growth. Don't know why, but there you have it!

Cheers

ToG

good to hear mate. ive got to get some more pics of mine this weekend.

my hop plant isnt going so good, somethings eating it.
what is it? i cant see anything, what should i put on it to protect it?
PC130041.JPG

Cheers,

Stewart

I have been drying my hop flowers for a few weeks now (flowered early in Brisbane and started flowering again a few weeks ago). How long should I dry them out for prior to using? Also, are they ok to just throw into the fermenter for dry hopping?

Thanks.

My Chinook is now about 5.5m tall and still growing as well as throwing laterals out all over the place. My Tettnang has about a dozen leaves and looks a little ordinary next to the Chinook...

sap.

(sorry for the rather crappy photos...)

DSCN3312.JPGDSCN3313.JPG

I've got about 9 varieties atm. I've got a Tetnanger, and a Cluster (I think), that are from cuttings off Fents plants last year. They were late last year, and were not in a good spot. They grew about 1-2 meters, but did not give any hops. This year they took off, and one of them is growing hops already.

The other 7 are going great guns! These are from rhizome's that I got off of other members of AHB. Some are as big as the ones I've had since last year! Spose Rhizome's are probably quicker to establish than a cutting.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

The above pic shows the size of the pots that I am using. They all climb up plastic or bamboo poles that are in or next to the pots. I've then put string across the yard, attached to the poles, so that once they get to the top, I then train them along the horizontal strings. Starting to get worried that I will run out of room and have them all growing together. Especially now that they are throwing out laterals at a huge rate.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Above are pics of the plant that is "budding" (or producing hops). They don't currently look very much like hops... I'm looking forward to my first Thornbury ale! Just need to grow the grain and catch some wild yeast :blink: .

Its quite exciting the first time you notice flowers forming on the hop bines!

My Chinook has about 40 cones forming now on the main bine. Enough for a pint or two only at this stage...

All other plants are trying to catch up...

budding! lol rugs.

nice work mate, same me some flowers for a brew, pretty sure im getting zilch again this year!

I have been drying my hop flowers for a few weeks now (flowered early in Brisbane and started flowering again a few weeks ago). How long should I dry them out for prior to using? Also, are they ok to just throw into the fermenter for dry hopping?

I was under the impression that they should have some oils left in them when squeezed. I dont think you want to dry them out too much, unless long term storage is the plan.

Was there a similar question and answer in last years 2008 hop thread? Will look now...

Edit: From 2008 Thread - Post Here, thoughts on picking them Here.

I do recall further info somewhere here on ahb...

budding! lol rugs.

nice work mate, same me some flowers for a brew, pretty sure im getting zilch again this year!

Yeah, I've just gotta work out which is which (of the cutting's I got off of you). One is a tetnang, and one is a cluster? Which of those 2 has the reder stem?

I was under the impression that they should have some oils left in them when squeezed. I dont think you want to dry them out too much, unless long term storage is the plan.

Was there a similar question and answer in last years 2008 hop thread? Will look now...

Edit: From 2008 Thread - Post Here, thoughts on picking them Here.

I do recall further info somewhere here on ahb...

Thanks Raven.

I think they should be dried enough and I with dry hop them in my current batch of lager in the fermenter.

Yeah, I've just gotta work out which is which (of the cutting's I got off of you). One is a tetnang, and one is a cluster? Which of those 2 has the reder stem?

def cluster has the redder steam.

Back