2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of tiny flowers have appeared on my plants. A little tingle of excitment was felt.

Just a little one.

Just thought I'd add a picture of my hiops taken today.

Hops_1.jpg

From left Hersbrucker (3rd year) Tardif de bourgogne (also 3rd year) and lastly 1st year Chinnok which has totally surprised me as I bought it off Boston last year, brought it home in a sandwitch sized bag and then potted, thinking I'll plant it in the ground next year.... 2 weeks later its 3 runners were busting out of the pot and roots out the base so I planted it and now its over 3m tall and flowering as well.

Cheers,
BB

Well its the 1st year for my hops ( cascade LH and hersbrucker RH) man i wish i had more room :p .

I was wondering if they give off any hoppy aroma while flowering????

24012010443.jpg

24012010442.jpg

From left Hersbrucker (3rd year) Tardif de bourgogne (also 3rd year) and lastly 1st year Chinnok which has totally surprised me as I bought it off Boston last year, brought it home in a sandwitch sized bag and then potted, thinking I'll plant it in the ground next year.... 2 weeks later its 3 runners were busting out of the pot and roots out the base so I planted it and now its over 3m tall and flowering as well.

Cheers,
BB

Hi BB, I'm interested in the chain you are using to grow the hops up? Do you have any issues with the hops holding on? What size are the links etc? If you started again, would you go smaller or larger links?

Cheers

Hi BB, I'm interested in the chain you are using to grow the hops up? Do you have any issues with the hops holding on? What size are the links etc? If you started again, would you go smaller or larger links?

Cheers

G'day Leigh,

Its a plastic chain lock I've only seen in one size, its about 10mm width and narrows down to 4mm link, but I haven't looked for smaller or larger sizes so I couldn't tell you.

The hops hold on fine, I used string the first year I grew hops but switched to the chain lock mainly because the mrs and I bought a couple of 50m rolls from a wholesaler North of Adelaide which was way cheaper than buying it from a hardware stores $$$!

We originally bought it to espalier fruit trees, its stable, adjustable, reusable and it just seemed logical to use it on the hop frame as well.

Cheers,
BB

G'day Leigh,

Its a plastic chain lock I've only seen in one size, its about 10mm width and narrows down to 4mm link, but I haven't looked for smaller or larger sizes so I couldn't tell you.

The hops hold on fine, I used string the first year I grew hops but switched to the chain lock mainly because the mrs and I bought a couple of 50m rolls from a wholesaler North of Adelaide which was way cheaper than buying it from a hardware stores $!

We originally bought it to espalier fruit trees, its stable, adjustable, reusable and it just seemed logical to use it on the hop frame as well.

Cheers,
BB

I like the look of the chain lock BB, its got me thinking about my winter climbing beans and my hops next summer.

Any idea what Bunning's charges?

Update on my hops -
They have reached the roof of the garage now and have started flowering.
I think they are 3x first year Casade.
I am having fun with a caterpillar atm - slimy bloody thing, he's there and having a feast on my lower leaves.
I went away for 10 days and the plant went crazy in melbourne's heat wave.
The new bines seem to be re-wound back against the main plant - is this a problem???

Pics to follow some stage soon

Cheers

Simon

[quote name='Simon1' date='Jan 25 2010, 11:36 AM' post='587663'

Any idea what Bunning's charges?

Cheers

Simon
[/quote]

I can't remember, I know they used to sell it in both precut lengths and by the metre off the reel,
next time I'm in there (reasonably often) I'll have a look.

BB

View attachment 35100

Cheers,
BB
bugger that hersbrucker rivals my mt hood, note to self must fertilise hops plants again.

Hi guys ,

Just finished the first pickings from my Hersbrucker. I got enough to fill a two liter jug . I am trying out the Aldi dehyrator . Still have plenty of immature cones and flowers on it .

The Cluster has a heap of cones that are not quite ready and lots of flowers .

The Cascade has lots flowers , which is OK because it was a very small zome when I got it last year .

The Hallertau is a bigger plant than the Cascade but hasn't got very many flowers at all.

Harvested the 1st lot today.
There are still more on the vine which are not ready yet and still some flowers which havent turned into full cones yet.
My biggest problem is that I cant remember what type they are.
I think that they are Chinook, but they could be colombus?
Thats just over 300G (wet)
IMGP0121.JPG

Gregor

Must be almost as satisfying as brewing your fisrt AG.

I'm like a small child rubbing my hands in anticipation.

Must be almost as satisfying as brewing your fisrt AG.

I'm like a small child rubbing my hands in anticipation.

Guys - when do you know the cones are to be picked?
Does anyone have a close up picture?

Cheers,

Simon

Guys - when do you know the cones are to be picked?
Does anyone have a close up picture?

Cheers,

Simon

Break one open and have a look at the lupulin.
Not ready: Greeny Yellow
Ready: Bight Yellow
Over ripe: Orangish or the bracts start to turn red/brown (Don't let your hops get this way)

QldKev

Break one open and have a look at the lupulin.
Not ready: Greeny Yellow
Ready: Bight Yellow
Over ripe: Orangish or the bracts start to turn red/brown (Don't let your hops get this way)

QldKev

Thanks QLDKev for the prompt reply....thats awesome.

I've noticed everyone people are drying out there cones. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried wet hopping and whether i't worth trying.

I've noticed everyone people are drying out there cones. I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried wet hopping and whether i't worth trying.

There was a thread a year or two ago about the differences it is one of the most opinionated topics around. IMHO I think there is a definite difference, but it will also come down to the hop variety - I love my MT Hood for wet hopping. For wet hopping I also only do flame out additions; the remaining are normal dried hops.

I also freeze my hops wet. When they freeze the moisture in the cells cause them to rupture; and they go slimy when you defrost them for use. I personally have not found any issues with this; it is more an appearance issue than a flavour. Geeze I love the smell of opening a bag of wet hops. I no longer dry any of my hops.

You do need to allow that wet hops weigh a lot more than the dried hops when doing you hop additions.

QldKev

There was a thread a year or two ago about the differences it is one of the most opinionated topics around. IMHO I think there is a definite difference, but it will also come down to the hop variety - I love my MT Hood for wet hopping. For wet hopping I also only do flame out additions; the remaining are normal dried hops.

I also freeze my hops wet. When they freeze the moisture in the cells cause them to rupture; and they go slimy when you defrost them for use. I personally have not found any issues with this; it is more an appearance issue than a flavour. Geeze I love the smell of opening a bag of wet hops. I no longer dry any of my hops.

You do need to allow that wet hops weigh a lot more than the dried hops when doing you hop additions.

QldKev
Thanks QldKev,

I have a 1st year Mt Hood that has yielded quite well so I'll definately try wet hopping this variety. I've tried dried Cascade cones in my brews last year and was very happy with the results so it will be interesting to compare the two different method this year.

Second harvest of chinook 140g wet
Got the dehydrator on lowest setting. This is correct isnt it?

Second_Harvest140.jpg

Latest posts

Back