2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chinook is absolutely loving this heat, growing like mad every day. I've been watering a lot in well drained soil.

The columbus has a case of stunted growth but did start from a small rhizome. Yellow leaves and only handful of flowers.

I run them East-West on trellis (2m high), then sideways... full sun.

here another one of my hops
12012010098.jpg

Some very healthy looking hops there Barls!

Planning on actually building a trellis next year to run them up to a height similar to that.

I am assuming they are a few years old, 3rd or 4th year?

4th on the ends with a 1st or 2nd in the middle.
actually got to go and pick some in a minute off my chinnok in the middle, right after i finish tormenting the yanks on the BN.

awww come on you will be here on saturday as well.

Victoria and Goldings still not doing much in the pots...

The cat is yet again guarding the hops! :lol:

DSCN3588.JPG

I trimmed off the dead leaves from the heatwave last week on the POR.

First harvest, 35g of chinook

Hops_2010_002.JPG

There will be maybe 10 times this amount with the second harvest that are still small

I have been holding off on posting to this thread this season, not sure why. But just managed to get a few pics. From left to right of the veggie garden, Goldings, Tettnang, Cascade, Chinook & POR

2010_Hops___Gardem_001s.jpg

2010_Hops___Gardem_004s.jpg

First year Chinook. Had a look this morning and whattya know! :) They are lovimg the heat atm.
What sort of fertiliser is best now to encourage flower growth?

Next year I should improve my trelis...
IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

I have been holding off on posting to this thread this season, not sure why. But just managed to get a few pics. From left to right of the veggie garden, Goldings, Tettnang, Cascade, Chinook & POR

Nice looking hops (and vegie patch) FJ

I am still throwing around ideas about how to build a trellis system for my hops. 2nd year in a row where i have talked but done nothing :lol:

Got any more info on that setup of yours? How do you plan on picking the hops? What sort of pole are you using?

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. picking the 1st crop of chinook today (if the rain stops)

Nice looking hops (and vegie patch) FJ

I am still throwing around ideas about how to build a trellis system for my hops. 2nd year in a row where i have talked but done nothing :lol:

Got any more info on that setup of yours? How do you plan on picking the hops? What sort of pole are you using?

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. picking the 1st crop of chinook today (if the rain stops)

There is a cross member at the top, each end has a wire loop on it. The training rope is attached to this loop by a hook, when I go to harvest, all I do is unhook the training rope, let the bines drop to the ground and harvest at my convenience. Ladders and I tend to have a difficulty coming to an agreement on safety, gravity often wins.

The poles are your basic treated pine post with a star picket screwed to it to get the extra height.

This method was detailed in one of the hop growing guides, but my poles are a little short of what is really needed, but its the best I can do :)

John

Water has been the prescription for the last few days

Ive kept the water up and they have kept all there leaves with only very few browning off.

I dont have any cones yet but the mt hood should produce soon and the tett may not this year as it was a small rhizome to start with.

kleiny

So is the browning of the outer of the leaves due to lack of water? Quite a few leaves on mine (1st year Chinook) toward the bottom of the plant are going brown around the edges. Would like to know how to fix...

I'm so looking forward growing my own hops. I love seeing all the pictures everyone uploads. Keep em coming :)

i couldnt resist while i was picking
16012010102.jpg

im going for number 3 harvest this year.

im going for number 3 harvest this year.
Baaahhh shush up you!. My second year Cascade has some flowers, about 10 :lol: . God knows what I will do with them, if they get any bigger than the 5c piece size they are now.

My two chinook in the pots are starting to form some flowers. The chinook in the ground has hit a growth spurt climbing about 10cm each day for the last few days, maybe has something to do with putting the left over grains on the ground as mulch B)

Latest posts

Back