2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be stoked if I do.

Have chinook, tettnang, goldings and hallertau. The hallertau seem to be less interested in climbing.

Basically I just let them go (I like functional plants that don't require attention such as potatoes and herbs), use a bit of spent grain as mulch and pour any waste cleaning water from my brewing on them.

They look happy enough.

Hey guys, just posting some current pics of my POR. I couldn't take a pic of the whole plant, so here is some cones. Pretty good for just putting it in the ground some months back.

PICT0052.JPG

PICT0054.JPG

PICT0055.JPG

My first year chinooks have started to get quite a few small flowers on them, some leaves are wilted on the plants but they still seem to be going ok

Here's how my hops are looking (mainly just the Goldings in the photo), I've run some string out from the fence to give some of the longer runners a place to go. Very happy with the Goldings and the Cascade, Chinook and Perle are all a reasonable size for a first year plant.

goldings_hops.JPG

hop_bine.JPG

Lots of flowers on the Goldings and some flowers on all the others. Some of the Chinook is already ready but after drying all I've got so far is 8g :) Based on the number of flowers I'll be expecting somewhere around 100g from the Goldings, based on a crop from last year (different hop plant but similar amount of flowers).

close.jpg

Started propagating them as well this year to grow a few more plants and also to share.

My main POR in the ground has suffered under the heat here (42 here today). Wilted leaves on the top half of the plant.

I have dumped a good 10+ Litres of water onto it in preparation of the 43 degree day due tomorrow... <_<

heres my plantation.
my wurtenburger
IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

mt hood
IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

and my chinnook
IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

heres the harvest i did 3 days ago.
mt hood
05012010097.jpg

and the wurtenburger

05012010096.jpg

Barls,
that looks awesome!

How are you going to dry them?

thanks
Bjorn

well the heat on saturday has frizzled one of my 2nd year chinooks (which seemed to be the strong one) down to around 2 bines and the other is struggling too. Im sure with todays forecast of 43 it will be nothing but a crisp. :(

My 1st year POR on the other hand has survived well. Looking rather strong! No hop cones as of yet though... hmmm.

already done bjorn. thats what the racks are for. 3 days on them in summer and they are perfect. i could cut it down to 1 if i could be bothered setting up the rest of the oust.
ill show you when you come around at the end of the month.

hey eric these are also 4th year plants with the exception of the Chinook.

well the heat on saturday has frizzled one of my 2nd year chinooks (which seemed to be the strong one) down to around 2 bines and the other is struggling too. Im sure with todays forecast of 43 it will be nothing but a crisp. :(
So how are everyone's plants cope with the heat?
I gave my plants a good soaking late the previous evening, but the POR and Chinook still didn't fair too well - mainly dried leaves and limp laterals.
I think another water during the day is probably required when it gets into the 40's, though god help us if we have a repeat of 48 degrees again :(

I gave my plants a good soaking late the previous evening, but the POR and Chinook still didn't fair too well - mainly dried leaves and limp laterals.
I think another water during the day is probably required when it gets into the 40's, though god help us if we have a repeat of 48 degrees again :(

Mine have not just survived the latest Adelaide heatwave, they have gone nuts.

Using a drip irrigation system this year so they get a deep soak once a day when the temp is >35C. Lower than that its every second or third day.

The entire vegie patch is thriving in this weather compared to last year when i was hand watering it.

Mine have not just survived the latest Adelaide heatwave, they have gone nuts.

Using a drip irrigation system this year so they get a deep soak once a day when the temp is >35C. Lower than that its every second or third day.

The entire vegie patch is thriving in this weather compared to last year when i was hand watering it.

Good to hear DrS. I'm using a drip irrigation system as well, though in pots they just don't have enough water reserves to last the extreme heat, in addition to their roots getting hot from sun exposure.
I look forward to having some space to plant mine in the ground.

Good to hear DrS. I'm using a drip irrigation system as well, though in pots they just don't have enough water reserves to last the extreme heat, in addition to their roots getting hot from sun exposure.
I look forward to having some space to plant mine in the ground.

Fortunatly i didnt have any issues with the 40 deg heat from yesterday. I just hope they survive today.

Water has been the prescription for the last few days

Ive kept the water up and they have kept all there leaves with only very few browning off.

I dont have any cones yet but the mt hood should produce soon and the tett may not this year as it was a small rhizome to start with.

kleiny

mine looks very sad. Kept the soil moist but the leaves are curling up and dropping.

The heats been intense, but I have made some shade cloth shields up this year after previous disasters and they have made it through ok, still singed and the windburn alone was enough to inflict some peripheral damage.

However, my hersbrucker is flowering well and I may even yet get some flowers of my tardif de bourgogne after waiting 3 years (it doesn't enjoy the heat at all!) and my first year chinook I got off Boston which I was content to let grow in a pot for this year demaned to be put in the ground and has made it to the top of the 3.5 meter trellis and is flowering as well,

Cheers,
BB

A few weeks ago on one of the hot days (i'd been slack and not prepared them with a nice water the night before), my Victoria lost the top half (shriveled up), and another also had a bit dry up. But I gave it a nice soak Sunday night, and they were all fine yesterday. My corn however, seemed to dry up a bit, but still tasted great for dinner!

I picked about 1/3 of the hops on my Tettnanger last week, but thought I'd leave some on to see what happens, as this is my first year getting hops. Looking at the others still growing, I'm thinking I should have left them all. they seem to be getting more aroma as they age. All a learning process. I'd probably suggest other first timers do something similar to this, so, for next year you will know when the optimum picking time for your hops actually is. I think I will stagger picking them and compare the difference, in smell/feel/looks.

Latest posts

Back