2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking thru this thread makes me want to grow some hops!! One day...one day

Doc .. seriously I consider you a DEMI GOD.... freakin awesome beers and now Hops!!!! WOW ... IMPRESSED ...

Update on my hop forest..... jaysus these things can take over a garden.

Chinook cones...

Jaysus indeed. I can confirm the Dr's Chinook flowers are twice the size of my chinook flowers... :huh:

Some great soil up his way.

Hey Darkman,

Is that the Hersbrucker that I sent you ? Mine Started long after all my other varieties but has come through with flying colours . I took A 2L jug out the other night and filled it and then some . You can't tell that I took any. Still have lots of cones that are not ready and heaps of little flowers coming through.

Other 4 plants are slowly following .

I gave a Hersbrucker to wonder woman but I think hers was struggling last I heard. Glad to hear yours is doing OK. The Hallertau is coming along nicely.

Mitternacht Brauer ( AKA buster )
Yes, I think it is. I swapped you for a hallertau variety. I can't believe how well it has grown to be quite honest. Thanks again.
Have you used Hursbucker cones in your beer?

Doc, correct me if I'm wrong but you don't seem to be growing them 'high' yet you are getting a good harvent. Is that right?

Seems like evidence that short and bushy isn't an issue.

Doc, correct me if I'm wrong but you don't seem to be growing them 'high' yet you are getting a good harvent. Is that right?

Seems like evidence that short and bushy isn't an issue.

They grow ~2m up and then grow horizontal. It looks like i will get a monster harvest by growing them horizontally instead of vertically and not cutting them back to 4-6 main bines. Whether i would have got a bigger crop using the more traditional method is open for debate.

I do plan on growing them vertically next year. Constantly (every few days) having to manually twist them around the string as well as keep them from growing into each other is a royal PITA.

I will need to thin/spread them out and probably need to reduce the number again.

As for the spider mites, well they are tough to kill in any crop. Why not try ordering a bio-control agent. I am pretty sure 'Bugs for Bugs' sells predatory mites www.bugsforbugs.com.au they would do a dynamite job. The is also a species of ladybird that eats mites, they may see that one too.

Cheers

Doogs

Top tip...next year I think.

I've had spider mite infestations knock off each and every regrowth that has come through. I've had two flowering periods so far of most of my hops including the first years (bar two) and on each occasion a spider mite infestation has done the plant in, despite a number of attempts to control them...Its the hops in the hot dry areas that are worst effected, and until the infestations they weren't stressed plants; strong growth and flowers.

All are on the regrowth path now, and strongly too. May even get a late crop if I can control the mites <_<

Harvested the 1st lot today.
There are still more on the vine which are not ready yet and still some flowers which havent turned into full cones yet.
My biggest problem is that I cant remember what type they are.
I think that they are Chinook, but they could be colombus?
Thats just over 300G (wet)
View attachment 35183

Gregor

Bagged them up last night with my new vacuunm sealer (works a treat).
The 300g wet, ended up 70g once dried.
I would have to plant out my whole section in hops to come anywhere near self sufficient.

Gregor

Top tip...next year I think.

I've had spider mite infestations knock off each and every regrowth that has come through. I've had two flowering periods so far of most of my hops including the first years (bar two) and on each occasion a spider mite infestation has done the plant in, despite a number of attempts to control them...Its the hops in the hot dry areas that are worst effected, and until the infestations they weren't stressed plants; strong growth and flowers.

All are on the regrowth path now, and strongly too. May even get a late crop if I can control the mites <_<

Fly spray :ph34r:

Bagged them up last night with my new vacuunm sealer (works a treat).
The 300g wet, ended up 70g once dried.
I would have to plant out my whole section in hops to come anywhere near self sufficient.

Gregor
Just looking back at your photo, I think they look like Chinook cones - my Columbus cones are all closed balls (opening slightly when dried), while the Chinook flowers seem much more open (as the ones in your photo).
They both have a similar pungent aroma - can't wait to crank out an APA.

So far I've harvested 40gm (dry - woohoo!), and some much bigger cones now on the way, probably thanks to the Seasol/PowerFeed treatment over the last month.

it can't be as bad as those new insect control systems that are just wall units that constantly inject insecticide into your living space.
:icon_offtopic:
..."Brandpower. Helping us lie better"
What a ludicrous idea - have your livingroom permanantly smelling like insect spray!
Honestly, they could market Agent Orange and put a possitive spin on it...
rant over...

Third harvest of Chinook. 300g wet so expecting 60 -70g dry :)
Still more small ones on the plant and expect another 100-150g which will make around 600g of this second year plant
Dunno if that is good or not but I am happy

hopharvest3_2_10.jpg

I'm harvesting over the next few days but don't have fermenting space for the wet-hopped ale I was planning.

I've read of people freezing their hops wet - is there any reason I can't/shouldn't do this? aparently they can get a little slimey, but in the accounts I've read it hasn't affected the flavor.

Darkman
yep the Hal is going well.Not much on it this year but high hopes for next year.

My hersbrucker which was a cutting from last year like the one I gave you and wonderwoman . I have to date taken about 120g dry in 2 pickings and maybe another to come .

It is the one to the far left . then the Hallertau then the Cluster and on the far right is the Cascade . Around the side is a Perle.
P2033627.JPG

Close up of the Cluster
P2033628.JPG

A closeup of the Cascade.
P2033629.JPG

Just looking back at your photo, I think they look like Chinook cones - my Columbus cones are all closed balls (opening slightly when dried), while the Chinook flowers seem much more open (as the ones in your photo).
They both have a similar pungent aroma - can't wait to crank out an APA.

So far I've harvested 40gm (dry - woohoo!), and some much bigger cones now on the way, probably thanks to the Seasol/PowerFeed treatment over the last month.

Cheers for the advise Hutch.
I have 25g of them earmarked for an oatmeal stout (20min addition) hopefully this weekend.

My Hersbruker is the most advanced at the moment, with the cones developing by the day.

There is a Cascade down in the back corner as well, it has just as many flowers but not as mature:
Brooke01.jpg

Some close-ups of the cones... not long now:
Brooke02.jpg
Brooke03.jpg

These are all first year plants too... :)

kinda jealous, my chinook havnt even blinked at producing cones and my 1st year POR from boston has around 15 flowers on it beginning to sprout. Time for some serious food/tonic i think.

Back