2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Tettnang is covered in hops, but the biggest are only about 2cm at the moment, and there's only a couple there. Probably about 100 cones on two bines though (first year).

Other hop plants don't have any, even though they're much stronger. I think the Tettnang has damaged tips and maybe flowered early because of that. The others (POR and Chinook) are still growing by the day.

I picked around 150gram of Tettnang. Put that in an APA 2 weeks ago, will check it soon!

But on a bad note, I got slack, and didn't water my plants enough :angry: ! I had a hersbrucker (I think), that was looking awsome with it's uniform small cones, but the leaves, and now the cones are drying up! GRRRRR! If you also have them in pots, then don't do what I did and lose a crop of hops!!!!! Think I will have to set up some sort of watering system and timer for next year.

Watering system (drippers) has made all the difference this year for me.

Previously i had to hand water the entire vegie patch plus the hops. Never had the motivation to do it more than twice a week.

Now its all on a timer. They, and the vegie patch, are loving life. My tomato plants are now taller than me, something i have never achieved.

Watering system (drippers) has made all the difference this year for me.

Previously i had to hand water the entire vegie patch plus the hops. Never had the motivation to do it more than twice a week.

Now its all on a timer. They, and the vegie patch, are loving life. My tomato plants are now taller than me, something i have never achieved.

This has become obvious to me over the summer, I installed drippers in our front garden last October and its survived a hot summer (so far) better than its ever done before, plants and trees that previouly were visibly stressed despite any amount of hand watering are now not only surviving but have new growth.

I will definitely be doing this next year for the fruit trees, vege garden and of course the hops.

BB

Hersbrucker, 1st year, started as a small rhizome, 1st crop
IMG_1985.JPG

The only hop of 10 that really survived hottest months on record, earwig insect population explosion, slater explosion.

Cascade died back to a half shrivelled up stem with only 1/2 of a leaf left on it. I rescued it and honestly did not think it would survive.
IMG_1970.jpg

All my other German and British hop varieties and one French did not make through this years hell conditions (10 plants gone) :(
R.I.P.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

OK. Tonight I harvested the first of my five bines and this is what I was left with...
DSCN3393.JPG

I suppose I was waiting for them to go thin and papery as I'd read somewhere, but they sort of went from green to brown like this:
DSCN3394.JPG

From left to right, we have nice and green, green with a tinge of brown and, well, fairly well done. My question is, what degree of browning is acceptable in hops that are to be used?

sap.

thats awesome sappas.

im interested in an answer to your question.

Lobo

Not the bumper crop I was hoping for from my 1st year babys.....but it was fun and I learned more about one of our favourite ingredients..

IMG_1141__Large_.jpg

Hopefully the little buggers will give me one more harvest this year and more in the years to come.

PB

I can't belive you guys are harvesting already. My goldinga only started to flower last week and my chinook a few weeks before that... mind you It is a little cooler down here in Tas.

Chinook HOP harvest status Wet hop PA beer 365g on Sunday, 2nd crop dried 300g in 50g bags, 3rd crop dried 400g in 100g bags, 4th crop on screens waiting for 30C plus in the sunroom tomorrow - arms cut to shreads, still more on bine! Really good crop for first year photos tomorrow

Here's a noobie question: is it totally out of the question even thinking about growing hops in Brisbane? If so, how about out Stanthorpe way where it's cooler?

Not at all, I'm on the sunshine coast and have just harvested my first crop ~200g dried weight (didn't weight the baggy first) off of one plant the other two are still ripening up.... BTW I'm growing Pearle.

I am a bit worried about it getting cold enough during winter though as mine are in the ground and not in pots. Well I guess time will tell.

Thomas.

OK. Tonight I harvested the first of my five bines and this is what I was left with...

I suppose I was waiting for them to go thin and papery as I'd read somewhere, but they sort of went from green to brown like this:

From left to right, we have nice and green, green with a tinge of brown and, well, fairly well done. My question is, what degree of browning is acceptable in hops that are to be used?

sap.

Thats the chinook from last year? Its doing better than mine :)

Thats the chinook from last year? Its doing better than mine :)

Yep. And that was only the first bine. I have another four bines, each with a similar quantity of cones....

It pretty much went nuts as soon as the weather started to warm up...

sap.

Hey Guys - anyone (specially WA Based) who is going to split their Hop rhizome please let me know if you're willing to sell and post me some.

thanks in advance,

Hi guys

Im feeling jealous. Three of my hops plants are going crazy sending out long laterals, however i still dont have any flowers yet. There are a few small buds forming on the laterals and main bines next to the lateral shoots.

Is it too late to add potash to stimulate flower production?

Chinook HOP harvest status Wet hop PA beer 365g on Sunday, 2nd crop dried 300g in 50g bags, 3rd crop dried 400g in 100g bags, 4th crop on screens waiting for 30C plus in the sunroom tomorrow - arms cut to shreads, still more on bine! Really good crop for first year photos tomorrow

P1,
Suprising amount for 1st year crop.
Still waiting on your photos.

P3

Not the bumper crop I was hoping for from my 1st year babys.....but it was fun and I learned more about one of our favourite ingredients..

View attachment 35572

Hopefully the little buggers will give me one more harvest this year and more in the years to come.

PB
Not bad for a first year if you ask me. I didn't get any my first year, a couple of my rhizomes died this year and a couple of the smaller plants have done nowt. My best one, Cascade has about 10 cones and thats it, so i would be happy with yours.

I counted the viable looking hops on my Tettnang (first year, in a pot) and I reckon I may have 100+ flowers.

Only problem is they're not very big at the moment, about 20 cent piece size.

4 harvest of Chinook today. 425g taking the total off this one plant to 900g with more to come

Harvest425gm.jpg

Very happy with this outcome :)

Have been putting off harvesting for a week or 2 now as i knew it would take a long time.

2 hours later, 2kg of chinook and 375g of cascade.

I have already picked 250g of chinook which is now 45g dry and vac packed in the freezer. A conservative estimate is i should be able to pick another 2kg of chinook.

Cascade is on the 2 trays, the rest is chinook.

hops_drying.jpg

Back