2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bahhhhhhhh............everyone knows we make the best beer down here........

Nov 29th no good for me, I'll be in QLD at their case swap :D , I was actually thinking that I would bring their case swap down to our case swap so we could all rip it to bits together :lol: , (on that note, would those who are organised enough at that stage like to contribute an extra bottle towards a case for the QLDers? - get some interstate rivalry happening?)

I'll see how I go Wayne. You might need to pay excess for heavy luggage. Don't take any as carry on, it will get confiscated!

If Wayne took it on as carry on it wouldn't make the journey...... :party:

Depending on numbers in this swap am happy to hand over a bottle for the banana benders.

On that train of thought, how many people can we have in the swap. I brew 25L batches at the most so taking into account losses during daily tastings :icon_drunk: , racking etc i reckon 30 is the absolute most i could come up with.

Since we are planning on bringing a bottle to the swap plus one for the banana boys (and a few to make sure they are ok to swap) how does 24 sound. A nice even 2 dozen.

i was anticipating possibly having to do a double batch...

Surely if it goes over 24-25 people, or whatever people can do in 1 batch, we should be able to scrape an extra bottle or 3 of a previously brewed batch to accomodate any extras? (says he who currently only has 1 bottle of AG in stock ;) ). Or maybe have a cutoff date for signing on for the swapping, to allow time for a second batch if numbers require it? Just thinking out loud here...

I'm in.

I may or may not have my AG set-up sorted out by then, but I'll surely bring some sort of beer.

I can bring a keg, and a Webber if needed.

sounds like good fun, I enjoy a good beer now and then.

I can brew however much is needed, plus extras. I work flexible hours :icon_cheers:

I'm in.

I may or may not have my AG set-up sorted out by then, but I'll surely bring some sort of beer.

I can bring a keg, and a Webber if needed.

sounds like good fun, I enjoy a good beer now and then.

I can brew however much is needed, plus extras. I work flexible hours :icon_cheers:

Keg - check
Weber - check

If you want to borrow my setup send me a PM, am sure there are people closer to you (Mike) that would be happy to let you brew on their setup. Any excuse to brew, talk beer, drink beer!

What do you brew at the minute Paul? Kits? Partials? What piece of equipment are you missing thats stopping you from going AG?

EDIT - what happened to my links in the wiki? :huh:

Paul steele, where bouts are you?
more than welcome to use my setup.
atm i no-chill in the keggle overnight. i've been thinking of installing a tap on the bottom, so hopefully should have it done in time so that you can take home a cube, but if no, you may need to come back the next morning to chuck it into the fermenter and pitch...

I'm brewing Partials. missing kettle + burner + manifold/falsie for my eskie.

Have spoken to Domonsura about Kettle + Falsie, so I should have that as soon as funds allow.

Mike, I do live fairly close to you (5-10min prob), drop us a PM or an email next time you're planning a brew day. I'd be keen to cruise round and shoot the shit. only problem is, I usually brew during the week because I work weekends.

there shouldn't be a problem getting the gear fairly soon. only thing I'm worried about is having time to get a recipe nailed. Until then, I'll be brewing up a storm with the partials.

EDIT: Sorry if i bollocksed up your Wiki Doc. :unsure:

EDIT: Sorry if i bollocksed up your Wiki Doc. :unsure:

You're hardly the first person on here to go off topic, Paul.... :lol:
As for the recipe, anyone going to the swap (and others too) can help you out with that....after all, its in our interest. We'll be drinking it :p

Whatever style or recipe you choose from, though, my advice is this.

Keep it simple. Use top quality malt, hops and yeast. Keep it balanced.

Good ingredients don't need any fannying about or dressing up. They speak for themselves.
But either way, don't stress. All is good. ;)

I doubt you will have too many troubles convincing Mike to brew during the week, he is a uni student after all. Weekday, weekends - all the same to a student. (i can say that cos i spent 9 years at uni with this philosophy! - hell, in my last job i brewed more on 'sick' days than i did on the weekends :ph34r: ).

As for recipes, grab one out of the database that you like the look of (make sure its a summer type beer tho......)

After drinking Mike's porter in the july case swap its obvious he knows his stuff so you'll be in good hands.

Wiki fixed.

Hehe, i usually brew weekdays, but then again, it's usually arvo (i pull an early day :p).

as soon as my Nelson savin ale finishes fermenting i'll be putting another on (damn the cold weather). i've got stuff for BYB's and Smurto's hobgoblin so i'll prolly be doing that next. incidentally, i have two english ale yeasts i can use... WLP-023 and WY-1187. recommendations?

but yeah, probably sometime next week?

1187!

Its a belter of a yeast, so much character. Its what i used in mine. Loved it so much i bought another smackpack of it during the week!

Damn, this sounds awesome, but my brewing skills (or level of equippage) aren't up to doing an AG yet. Might have to wait for the next swap.

Have fun!

Tanga, you can still come even if you're not participating in the swapping.....best time to pick the brains of more experienced brewers, and to expand your palate by sampling the wares. ;)

Muahhahahahhahah another mind to corrupt. :ph34r:

Wot about Ross's Summer Ale .. that used to be the darling of AHB until DrSmurto pushed it off its perch.

Hehe - sounds sinister. I'm willing to be corrupted by good beers though.

I might give making a cider a go. Always a good alternative come summer, and they seem a lot easier than all grain. Does anyone with a car live out my way or near a train station? I'd be happy to put money / alcohol / or food preparation towards petrol.

Well, if you don't have to brew any beer to go to the swap! :) then count me in...

I don't have any brew set up yet - I get three weeks off in November and that is when I will be getting everything together to brew! - so not enough time to make a brew for this swap - will do next year.

But count me in for the event - would like to have a chat about it all and see if home brew really can taste just as good if not better than store bought beer - or if it just a big bunch of internet lies! ;) haha

Looking forward to it!

Back