2008 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, you will need somewhere to host the pictures, I use Flickr because I already had an account, there are many others as well such as photobucket.

Once uploaded and you are viewing it via the web, you rightclick the uploaded image and select "Copy image location". This text gets pasted into the box that comes up when you are posing here and you click on the "insert image" button.

I hope that this makes sense.

I am keen to see your setup, those are decent yields.

I've got two POR bines just planted this year (in Adelaide). I wasn't expecting to get anything much from them but they actually look okay. I had a look at the Hops Manual and it says to harvest when the flowers start to get sticky and go a bit golden. They have been around full size for several weeks now but are not going golden or getting sticky just green and no real fragrance. Should I just be patient?

POR_1.jpg

POR_2.jpg

I had a look at the Hops Manual and it says to harvest when the flowers start to get sticky and go a bit golden. They have been around full size for several weeks now but are not going golden or getting sticky just green and no real fragrance. Should I just be patient

Yeah, hold off picking them until they start to brown. I find it hard to resist too but I read somewhere once that they build up their alpha acid right at the end of maturation.
They seem to grow to full size fairly quickly, then build up the luplin for another 3-5 weeks before they are fully matured.

I think tommorow I will select a couple of good bines to bury in trenches.
I am guessing that the leaves should be pruned off, and the end of the bine should be out of the ground.

phonephotos137.jpg

This is how they were dried.
This was then placed in the brew cupboard with a small fan to help air flow.
I will take photos of the plants tomorrow if you want and post them

phonephotos137.jpg

This is how they were dried.
This was then placed in the brew cupboard with a small fan to help air flow.
I will take photos of the plants tomorrow if you want and post them

I just noticed your avatar, ROFLMAO

Sorry the photos aren't the best, the sky is overcast and this strange wet stuff is falling from the sky :unsure:

hopsphotos004.jpg

Base of the POR
hopsphotos002.jpg

L to R Cascade,Chinnok, Vienna Gold and POR
hopsphotos005.jpg

POR 1 bine on the left and 3 on the right.

I hope this helps
The Mrs

Sorry the photos aren't the best, the sky is overcast and this strange wet stuff is falling from the sky :unsure:

hopsphotos004.jpg

Base of the POR
hopsphotos002.jpg

L to R Cascade,Chinnok, Vienna Gold and POR
hopsphotos005.jpg

POR 1 bine on the left and 3 on the right.

I hope this helps
The Mrs

Nice looking setup. Where in SW victoria are you. I am in Horsham

Good work I like Beer, those bines look thicker than mine, although my cluster is close. If you don't mind, how advanced were your rhiziomes, and what did you use for soil medium?

I dug in a bunch of cow manure into mine, but I think that it is all long gone and the soil is pretty depleted from previous farming.

Can anyone elaborate on the connection between hops and potatoes re: viruses? I have some potatoes nearby and want to know if I should/shouldn't offer swap material.

They were cuttings with buds on them I bought off members here, and just threw them in the garden bed when they arrived. No special fertilzers just seasol, power feed, and blood&bone. No special soil, just local peaty loam from the local garden supply place( grew good tomatoes there last year)

I hope I have done the right thing here.
I have unwound the main bine of my chinook and pruned off the leaves. Its about 4 metres long. I dug a shallow trench and layed the bine in it with the end foot or so of the growing tip out of the trench.
Bine is still attatched to the plant.

Been scouring the net and cant find good info on this.
Does anyone know how long they take to put out roots and when would it be ready to dig up and divide?

heres my last harvest picked today
15032009047.jpg

15032009046.jpg

Well im pretty happy with this years harvest.
450g Goldings & 180g Chinook.
About 4 times as much as i got last year.

Hops_Pictures_029.jpg

Hops_Pictures_026.jpg

Ahh, see Gonzo sleeps with his hops too. It is not just me.

At least you dont iron them :lol:

Thats a good crop.

Edit...(tip) open the bags up slightly and with the palm of your hand squeeze as much air out as possible and then re-seal them

Yeah, well there might be something in this sleeping with hops thing. If I get enough next year I will try it and see :icon_cheers:

P3190002.jpg

Not too impressive yet, but in about 6 months they should be. My rhizomes just arrived from the states today and I'm pretty excited. If all goes according to plan, parts of the house will disappear behind hop vines.

Top row, L-R: Fuggle, Golding, Willamette, Sterling.
Bottom row, L-R: Cascade, Centennial, Hallertauer, Mt. Hood.

Drying is complete.

From left to right, 45gms Cascade, 50gms Cascade, 30gms Goldings and 40gms Goldings.

Hop_Harvest_2009.jpg

I picked about 60 grams of quite dry papery Pride of Boston today, about 10-20% of the total crop.
groupshot.jpg

Has anyone used their hops fresh in a brew?, rather than drying them first, I was hoping to do this with the main harvest for a real special hoppy brew.
I'm expecting about 200-300gms fresh, which should be about right for a real hoppy brew...
:party:

I used a small amout of fesh Hersbruker in an old ale I bottled recently.

I have an APA on the go that I am going to throw my fresh (frozen) Columbus into as a (wet) dry hop.

I am more interested in the properties of wet hops than drying them, it is the only thing that you can't get commercially. I am freezing my entire crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back