2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol..just had a look at mt POR out the front. I have bareley glanced at it this year so far.

I have not put any support up for it yet and it is starting to support itself, growing upwards.

Starting to look like a hedge.

cheers
johnno

I reckon you'd be able to get them started, but you'd need to protect them from the heat and keep them moist. I reckon you'd want a little propagating tray & cover or seedling tent out of direct sunlight. I got some also and I got pl,anting instructions with them, but when mine arrived most of them had been unfortunately squashed flat by auspost. The seller (Rupert) refunded my purchase back to me immediately, so no complaints there and I'll be making sure I spend at least the same amount with him next year if he is selling rhizomes etc....

I got the cascade/Kent seeds - been in little punnet pots of a week in the garage - right next to the fermenters - I was hoping the cascade smell coming out of the fermenter, might entice the seeds to sprout :rolleyes:

Roughly how long until you would normally see a shoot come through the soil?

Also in there anyway to tell which is male and female early on?

Damn. We just had a massive hail storm and my hop is looking a bit shabby at the moment. Hopefully it will come good in a couple of days.

Mine aren't looking as pretty as they did a few hours ago either Rukh.
A number of the longer bines that were growing horizontal at the top of my trellis were cut off. :p

Doc

Hail_Dec_9_2007_026.jpg

Hail_Dec_9_2007_023.jpg

You guys sure do get some decent hail stones up yonder.

Hey Doc,

Mine was mostly protected because of the direction that the hail hit. The exposed bine looked battered, but came good when the sun came out.

At least you have some "cuttings" to offer.

Cheers,

Rukh.

Ive been trying to search out fixes to problem with hops with no avail.....

Ive got one long bine to about 2.5m, but I feel theres a bug eating the leaves and now the new growth on the lower plants are throwing new growth but is appearing spotted/faded???

Whats the fix??? 2 years and nothing yet from this Cluster.....

Ive been trying to search out fixes to problem with hops with no avail.....

Ive got one long bine to about 2.5m, but I feel theres a bug eating the leaves and now the new growth on the lower plants are throwing new growth but is appearing spotted/faded???

Whats the fix??? 2 years and nothing yet from this Cluster.....

Sounds exactly the same as my chinook which is growing faster than whatever is trying to eat it.

I am no longer organic, i took Waynes approach and nuked the garden last night. Partner went to town on the tomato dusting and when i read the contents was surprised to find it contains carbaryl! And i thought i was just sulphur. So i doused my hops with that too :eek: . I DARE any little critter to have a go now. Double dare you! After a week of not looking to closely at the garden just about every vegie is being eaten so drastic action was needed.

Cheers
DrSmurto

yep getting the munching bugs / spotted leaves too. whenever i tap or shake my leaves these tiny little white / brown critters fly off. Have put mulch (lucerine) around the base now and might give em a spray with morning fresh dishwashing soap mixed with water in a bottle. morning fresh is meant to not harm the plant but bugs hate it too.

My Tardif had a problem with bugs that started about 3 weeks ago (when it was about 1.5m high). It started out as spotty leaves, which I'm told is the baby grubs eating their way out. I spent about 3 days holding each leaf up to the sun to spot the little critters, and treating the problem organically (my vegetarian GF didn't initially approve of my interpretation of "organic", but soon came around to the idea that it was going to be either the grubs or the beer supply ;)).

I killed about 40 caterpillars on the first day, 10 on the second, then only one or two on the third. The vine is now about 3m tall, and has leaf damage up to about the 1m mark. We now have a praying mantis and a couple of spiders living in the lower levels of the vine. I now carefully check the band around the top of the leaf damage (about 3 leaves down and 3 leaves up) a couple of times a week to make sure there are no more pests, but I don't bother clearing the lower levels any more (I just do a quick check to make sure there isn't an infestation, but don't kill anything). By letting the predators feed, I don't need to spend as much time looking after the vine. The vine seems to be doing quite well for it, too. The damage doesn't appear to be getting any worse, and the insects are thriving.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to promote predators on your vine - perhaps you could look through the rest of your garden for some specimens to manually transfer.

Doc, that hail is trippy! Pic on right looks like corn-on-the-cob!

Here is a pic of the POR.

Starting to kill al the weeds around it.

Have a gander at the crap quality of the soil. More like dust really.

soilih2.jpg

cheers
johnno

This wet and warm weather had made my plants take off this year, I fertilised early on, just after they shot out of the ground, but haven't needed to since. Here's hoping for a good harvest this year.

Cluster01.jpg

Cluster02.jpg

Linz, I had the problem of the mysterious leaf-eating menace last season, turned out to be a well-camoflaged green caterpillar, so look hard all over the stems and even underneath the leaves and you may stop the problem in its tracks.

Hi Braufrau - sorry I missed your Q.

They seem to be thriving, but the shorter days will apparently decrease the hop yield. I think it was QldKev (where is he these days) that showed pics of his last year, that were laden in hops right up in Bundaberg.
Hoping for slightly better next year, once they've had time to settle in their new pots, but since they only get the afternoon sun where I've planted them, I'm not expecting too much other than foliage...

cheers Ross

Hey, I'm still around; mainly just a reader these day.

The hops that were from fresh rhizomes were planted into pots; they got to about 7m last season, and I got about about 400g wet of them (about 100g dry weight).

This year they are still in the same pots, and have started shooting later but have already climbed over 3m, and when I remember to water them really do well.

An idea on last years crop

26 Aug 2006 - Planted newly purchased rhizomes
2 Sep 2006 - New shoots after 1 week
16 Sep 2006 - 600cm POR starting to boom; the Mt Hood is not far behind
23 Sep 2006 1200cm Right hand stem has caught up and taken over, thats 2 foot growth in 1 week. Also had a stem breakage on the Mt Hood
07 Oct 2006 2800 cm
14 Oct 2006 3300cm
28 Jan 2007 Approx 6m each These things are taking over the back patio, have so far done 2 fresh hop beers; picked on 26 Jan 93grams, after 2 days drying have 27g of harvest.

Didn't keep anymore log from here

Catch you later....

kevinlis maybe us Bundy boys better get together with AndrewQld for a beer..
(and any other locals on the list)

PS. AndrewQld hows your hops growing this season?

Since the decent amount of rain we've been getting for the past month, my Columbus has grown 4-5 new bines which are now starting to overtake 2 of the original bines, which aren't even 1 foot. The 3rd one has thankfully taken off again and is approaching 4 foot now.
I'm not sure if I should cut any back. Any suggestions? It's only in a pot plant too.

My chinook had one bine which grew pretty high whilst the other bine got to about 10cm and stayed there. The smaller bine sat at that height for a couple of months so I recently decided to trim it back (to allow the main bine to get all the goodness).

In the week since I cut the small bine off, the regrowth is probably 40cm high and is going great.

I killed about 40 caterpillars on the first day, 10 on the second, then only one or two on the third. The vine is now about 3m tall, and has leaf damage up to about the 1m mark.

Have you tried a physical barrier to whatever owns the caterpillars? I have net curtains from the op shop over my cabbages and they are finally growing faster than they are eaten because the moths can't get in.

I haven't had any trouble with my hops (touch wood) but let me tell you about pear and cherry slug .... another time perhaps.

Gday All

How are all the Perth Hops going, mine seen to be struggling a bit.Not sure if its the weather or me.

Cheers Aspro

Back