200 Litre Drum As Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppydog

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a 200 Litre drum as a kettle?

They mostly have pressed seams at the bottom, but so does my water kettle at home, and it does not leak.

Sanitation is not a problem, as the boil will kill anything.

I am currently boiling in 3 x 20 litre kettles, so I need something better.

i think your only problem would be it rusting out over time
otherwise, bung a tap on it and try it out
good size!

My LHBS guy has just upgraded from an 80litre to a 150-200litre, works a treat. Now he just has to drink all the beer he makes!! hahaha good on ya dave ;)

I should have said stainless drum - so it should not rust.

I dont think mild steel can be used for beer

It would be OK, but you may find that the pressed seam may leak eventually due to the expansion/contraction when you boil.
Worst case scenario, you might end up having to run a weld around the seam - but with 200 litres of beer at once, I doubt you'll care :lol:

I use a stainless 44gal drum on my big system. Works a treat. Go for it!

Hoppy,

from 1 dog to another, where are you located? And can you source staino 44's at a decent price? i currently have a 200l (plastic) mash tun, & a 180l staino vat that i use for a kettle, but would like another 200l vessel to use as a HLT. Currently large batches quickly become a logistical "challange" - just ask the ISB guys who were at my place for the big brew day in May :super: :party: B)

I've looked at staino 44's previously, but could buy a vat much cheaper from places like Fallsdell! Let me know how cheap you can get them.

Beers

Crozdog

200L! By the power of Grayskull! :eek:
What sort of burner do you put under 200L of beer?
Maybe that a whole 'nother thread..... ;)

200L! By the power of Grayskull! :eek:
What sort of burner do you put under 200L of beer?
Maybe that a whole 'nother thread..... ;)

i use a dual ring HP burner from Gameco. It's quiter than the NASA :p

sweet! i didn't know you could get stainless 200L drums :)
how much ???

As to where to get them and how much - I am still looking. But I hear that ex commercial drums in stainless are available and maybe less expensive than SS kettles.

When I find one I will get back to the topic

here's T.D's burner under the 44... boiling something we've brewed and consumed of late.
(beware the soot... :lol: :lol: )

060804_Hunter_Valley_Brew_027.jpg

re the price, I've been quoted over $700 each!! :blink: :eek: hence why I'm asking if you can get em cheap!

SPS, those bottles were for starters cause we ran out of cubes. Everyone went home with a cube, a starter & a vial of yeast. The complete package ;-)

Fosters at Botany are selling 60 x 200L Stainless steel drums.
These are all food grade and have previously contained alcohol.

Currently the bid is $120.00

200L Drum link

Fosters at Botany are selling 60 x 200L Stainless steel drums.
These are all food grade and have previously contained alcohol.

Currently the bid is $120.00

200L Drum link

Oh man i'd love to get some of these.. if only i lived in syd... bulk buy anyone?

I got a secondhand one for $200 from Brisbane drum recycling, food grade - it was used to contain tee tree oil before. It has an EDPM seal, but it is supposed to be able to take a flame if there is liquid in to to keep it under 150C or so

Now I am wondering how on earth I am going to get a burner to boil it - I guess i will need a 30 kW element.

What do others use to do large boils? I have natural gas at home.

Back